Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > WOW Sticky Brain is such a great application

WOW Sticky Brain is such a great application
jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 12:48 PM

I've just discovered Chronos Sticky Brain. Such a fantastic little app. I've been looking for something like this for ages. A great way to organise randon pieces of information from bookmarks to stickies to documents.... anyone else know it?

philcozz
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 03:50 PM

Yeah. The QuickNote feature is pretty sharp.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 07:54 PM

Sure. There are other apps in the category including DEVONthink and Yojimbo. They all do something similar, with subtle differences. Might be worth looking at all of them before you chuck down the cash, as "revisiting your decision on which is best" seems to be a professional sport for many :-)

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2006, 08:23 AM

Yeah. The QuickNote feature is pretty sharp.
QuickNote? What's that?

DEVONthink and Yojimbo.
Yes I'll definately be checking these out.

Recontech
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking for something like this
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

philcozz
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure
QuickNote? What's that?
Check out the preferences. There's a keystroke-combination that (when enabled) will bring up a window for taking "quick notes" and you can even choose which folder to place it in SB. All of this with only SB's "service" feature running, not the actual app. Hope that makes sense.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 09:16 PM

I'm interested in SB as well as Yojimbo. Watch out for Aquamind's Noteshare as well

http://www.aquaminds.com/

This stuff is coming at the right time.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2006, 03:57 PM

I'm sorta bumping an old thread because I've grown increasingly frustrated with Stickybrain (now SOHO Notes). It's just slow and annoying as hell sometimes (like re-creating the "default notes" at random). It's been very buggy for me lately and synching does NOT work. I'm trying Yojimbo now.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:52 AM

Chronos had a really quite horrible stretch when they introduced Soho Notes. There were loads of bugs, sync didn't work, and people lost data. It didn't help them that Yojimbo was released around the same time that their support forum imploded with angry customers (many of the posts have been deleted...one guy actually started advertising for Yojimbo and emailing forum members). It was really awful.

Chronos issued some bug fixes and there were a lot of complicated steps for making things work, but lots of us (I'd been using Stickybrain for a while and bought Soho Notes) simply bugged off to Yojimbo, which, even though it's nowhere near as powerful as Notes, synced consistently and wasn't prone to deleting your address book contacts.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by midwinter
Chronos issued some bug fixes and there were a lot of complicated steps for making things work, but lots of us (I'd been using Stickybrain for a while and bought Soho Notes) simply bugged off to Yojimbo, which, even though it's nowhere near as powerful as Notes, synced consistently and wasn't prone to deleting your address book contacts.
I switched to Yojimbo from StickyBrain, but I'm thinking about giving Journler a try.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 02:53 PM

I'm more or less happy with Yojimbo. I still disagree with BareBones on nested folders, and frankly, I think it's more than a little assholish to simply tell the customers who want them that their organizational scheme isn't any good. But I get by with a combination of collections and labels.

The most important thing for me is that it syncs consistently among my three Macs. I"ve been burned so many times by Notes that I'm reluctant to even try anymore.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
I'm more or less happy with Yojimbo. I still disagree with BareBones on nested folders, and frankly, I think it's more than a little assholish to simply tell the customers who want them that their organizational scheme isn't any good. But I get by with a combination of collections and labels.
Is that what they said? I just thought they hadn't gotten around to it yet.

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 11:56 PM

I must say that my few days using Yojimbo have been pretty nice. I haven't cursed out loud because my web archive didn't print or because something I was *sure* I had made a note of wasn't there. I also like the relatively smart quick key. I miss the "linking" feature between notes (helps me organize) and it's too bad about nested folders.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 02:47 AM

Have you tried DevonNote?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Is that what they said? I just thought they hadn't gotten around to it yet.
Yes, though that wasn't exactly how they phrased it :-)

Their goals are to have collections that are "views" of the data based on some criteria (attributes or search), and not to enable large, deep hierarchies of data. They want to take the paradigm away from "dig to find manually" and more towards "smart folders." As such, they currently feel that nested folders aren't somethng they want to implement.

For that, you have alternatives. I'm currently using DEVONthink, which is very powerful but gives up a bit to Yojimbo in terms of speed and elegance. Still, my DT database is 1.5 GB; I'd be a bit nervous with that much in Yojimbo. Maybe I'm just paranoid

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
Have you tried DevonNote?
I've not tried DevonNote, but I've got DevonThink. For my puporses, it's way overkill. All I want is a program to hold some snippets, web archives for future reference, recipes so I can search for something that uses "feta cheese" if I fee like feta, receipts, etc. Also, I don't really like the interface of DT (actually it's more accurate to say "I really don't like the interface...")

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 12:12 AM

Journler looks pretty nice so far.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2006, 03:51 AM

Yeah, DevonThink's too much for me, too, but DevonNote seems just right. However if you don't like the interface, there's lots of other simple note-taking programs, some free. I also like the looks of supernotecard but haven't tried it yet myself.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 02:00 PM

I was a longtime user of StickyBran who had a horrible experience with soho notes. Right now I am just back to using stickies. What I'm really looking for is a program that will allow me to sync between macs using .mac & will also sync notes to my ipod. Notes as supposed to be able to do this, but I haven't found anything that works that will handle both .mac syncing & ipod syncing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

jbleisure  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 05:04 PM

Funny to see this thread back. I started it way back when I discovered sticky brain.

I was a longtime user of StickyBran who had a horrible experience with soho notes
Funny, I too had a horrible experience with SOHO notes when they upgraded. Basically It lost all my data and wouldn't open. Is that the experience you had. Thankfully I had a backup and after I re downloaded and reinstalled it was ok.

What I'm really looking for is a program that will allow me to sync between macs using .mac & will also sync notes to my ipod

There was an app I used for this previously - not the .mac syncing but allowed me to put notes onto the ipod. Can't remember the name now but could dig it out

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 08:47 PM

I used to love sticky brain too. Used it for a long time, always upgraded. Then they came out with SOHO notes, which was exactly what I needed. Upgraded & the syncing (which was why I upgraded) never worked. Tried some of chronos' suggestions for "fixing" the problem, which never worked & messed up my contacts & ical. I tried to restore from my SOHO backup, and it didn't work, so I lost all of my data. The forums were horrible & really never got around to answering any questions. I feel like the product was shipped prematurely & it caused more problems for me than it ever solved.

I now am back to using Sticky notes & I have a program that syncs them with my ipod. I'm holding out hope that Leopard or the next .mac upgrade will allow sticky syncing from within .mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules