Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD, NAS or just USB?

External HD, NAS or just USB?
Recontech
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

Should I go the more inexpensive route and get an external HD and just connect it via USB? Or, should I get a NAS? And what NAS to get that is compatible and easy to mount via OS X?

I need more space for iPhoto library...amongs other things.
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2007, 08:12 PM

If you can't get another internal drive I'd opt for an external case with FireWire 800 (or 400) and skip USB altogether. NAS is only useful IMO if you have a network.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2007, 09:11 PM

I have a huge USB tree of USB external enclosures and all of them work great...

I hate how the 1st gen MBP did not have FW800, so I don't have any 800 drives.. but I know eSATA is very effective and you can get an express34 eSATA card pretty cheap now.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Recontech  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 10:45 AM

I was thinking a simple WD Mybook would be a good solution. But, I figured that I could externalize my iPhoto library and just keep it all on the network.
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

-Q-
Apr 6, 2007, 11:44 AM

Unless you have a couple computers on the network that would need access to the drive, or want to use a centralized backup solution for those computers on your network, I don't really see the need for the expense of a NAS-system quite yet. I've tried a Linksys NAS and didn't find it too reliable at all (the drive attached would just stop appearing on the network). I think your WD MyBook idea would work perfectly for your needs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2007, 09:06 PM

It's only about a $20-25 difference to add ethernet... if you have any reason to put the storage on the network (multiple computers, laptop with wireless, etc) I'd go with NAS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules