Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook or Macbook Pro or neither.

Macbook or Macbook Pro or neither.
Alex601
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2008, 07:56 PM

Hello currently i am using a generously givin gift from my bro,a iBook g4. And i love it a lot but i would like a mac book for a few reasons. I would like it 1 because well its better and i think the built in cam is just cool. Also i found something that would let me run Steam on intel based mac,s but the iBook isn't intel based (that i'm aware of), and so i would use that to play counter strike.Last time i tried to run a FPS on my ibook it stunk, bad. Also if i had a macbook i would take the ibook to school and use it for taking notes, and then put the notes on a flash drive or something then transfer it to my macbook. Which i think would be awesome. And so with me planning to do all of this, i was wondering should i get a macbook (which version of macbook) a MBP (which version of mbp) or should i just keep my ibook and not upgrade.
( Last edited by Alex601; Feb 16, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: bad grammer)

Cold Warrior
Feb 16, 2008, 08:42 PM

If you want to play high-end games on a Mac notebook, get a MBP with the best GPU available.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2008, 10:55 PM

For FPS, you'll want a MacBook Pro. But why would you take the iBook to school then transfer notes to the MacBook?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Feb 16, 2008, 11:59 PM

For just using your Mac for common use and note taking I would say go with the standard Macbook. I myself have one and I love it, it can do a lot for the price. I will say FPS suck bad on it though, even some on Boot Camp. I would definitely go with the Macbook Pro for that situation.

why would you take the iBook to school then transfer notes to the MacBook?
I also agree, if anything I would sell the iBook and then put that money towards a new Mac. No need to go back and forth with a flash drive, even though they are convenient and fast.

Either way I am sure that you will be satisfied with your choice. Good Luck!

LunarFalcon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 12:15 AM

I was recently faced with the same dilemma, whether to get the regular macbook or the macbook pro. In the end I got the macbook pro for the larger screen size, and I'm glad I did. I'm very happy with my decision.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2008, 12:25 AM

If it's gaming on a Mac laptop you're interested in, then you've got to read:

Introduction : Return of the Mac: Are They Any Good For Gaming?

If you go the refurbished MBP on the Apple Store, you'll see some pretty good deals on some previous generation MBP. Main question is how much to spend to get the best fit. Download Mactracker from versiontracker.com to see what all the models are, because Apple's website doesn't list the refurb model numbers, so you have to be pretty up on the models to figure out which model they are. So, you might want to know when the LED displays were introduced to see which refurb that might be. You can call the 800-number to talk to them about model numbers, I suppose?

Also, the longer you can wait before buying the better prices and features you'll get. Rumors abound of new MBP models being introduced soon, and all refurbs will go down in price, provided Apple doesn't auction them off to resellers just before the event. ,

Alex601  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 03:01 AM

well i wouldnt want to break my new mac book. i had a ds and i left it in my back pack i went to play it and the screen like exploaded. so yeah i wouldnt want that to happen.

HazMacFan
Feb 17, 2008, 12:43 PM

I was in the same situation and ended up with a refurb MBPro from Apple. If you can live with Apple shipping you the notebook in a brown box instead of the black box that the new MBPros come in, you are golden, since you get the same warranty and could save some cash.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 12:44 PM

If you got a neoprene sleeve or something, it would protect it when its in your bag. There is no reason why you shouldn't take a new macbook out with you and use your ibook instead, otherwise you may as well have a desktop at home, then use the iBook for portable needs.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Alex601  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 06:13 PM

Hey i was talking to my friend and he said why dont i just get the iMac and i was thinking would it work. Im pretty the imac is more powerful than a MBP and it starts at a little over a thousand. so doesnt anyoen here knwo how good they are, how do they run FPS, and is it worth getting one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules