Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch: Music navigation from Mail?

iPod Touch: Music navigation from Mail?
Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2008, 10:10 PM

About an hour ago, I woke my iPod Touch (1.1.4) from sleep. It had been on the Mail application and it started to download my new mail. I hit the Home button (or I was trying to) to see what videos i had synced on it and a small window popped up that I had never seen before.

It was a blue rectangular box that was about 1/5 the height of the display and nearly filled it horizontally. It had the name of the band and song that was playing along the top. Across the middle it had a back arrow, pause/play then a forward arrow. Along the bottom was the volume slider.

I have never seen this before in the 2+ months that I've had my iPod and am wondering how I did this, if it's a new feature, and how to do it again (I tried but couldn't replicate it). It would be nice to quickly switch songs from Safari or Mail by popping up this window and not having to switch views.

Anyone seen this? Is this a common thing that I've happened to miss all this time?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 10:48 PM

It's been around on the iPod touch/iPhone since launch. When you hit the home button twice in rapid succession from anywhere it automatically pops up.

Warren Pease  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2008, 12:26 AM

Sweet! Thanks. I was pretty sure that it wasn't some new secret feature I found.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 03:07 AM

You are welcome. It is a really nice feature I love it.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's been around on the iPod touch/iPhone since launch
Actually, it wasn't on the iPhone until a later update. I remember because it was a pain in the neck having to unlock the phone, click on iPod, etc., just to change the track or pause without the iPhone headphones in. Just sayin'.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 04:38 AM

It works when locked too.
There is a way to pause the music when the touch is locked and the screen is off, but its very complex to pull off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules