Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MB Pro HD missing 20 GB?

MB Pro HD missing 20 GB?
hondo
Oct 30, 2008, 07:51 PM

I just purchased a MB Pro with a 320 GB 7200 hard drive. The system profiler says its only 300GB. Am I missing something or does Apple owe me 20 GB?

Hitachi HTS723232L9SA62:

Capacity: 298.09 GB
Model: Hitachi HTS723232L9SA62
Revision: FC4AC40B
Serial Number:
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 297.77 GB
Available: 243 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 08:02 PM

you can't be serious?

google "actual hard drive space" and therein your answer shall lie.

basically... advertised ≠ actual (windows, linux or mac)
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hondo  (op)
Oct 30, 2008, 08:10 PM

I realized that you don't actually get the full-advertised size but didn't take into account the fact that, as the drives get larger, I would see a larger deficit. Brain hiccup (getting old I guess) and I haven't bought a computer for a while. Sorry to have wasted your time. I won't make that mistake again.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 08:54 PM

Don't mind iRez, evidently he's forgotten that not everyone knows every little detail like he does and people come to MacNN to bask in the glow of his immense knowledge

298gig is normal because how the computer calculates a gigabyte and how marketing folks lie, err umm advertise.
~Mike

hondo  (op)
Oct 30, 2008, 09:09 PM

I appreciate it. As you can see, I have been registered for some time and I do try to come here as much as I can to learn from the questions that are posted. I have had questions from time to time and I try to figure them out myself first. When I have asked, I have found that the folks on here are friendly and helpful.

No offense taken.

Hondo

marclapierre13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 09:10 PM

You never get the full amount of HD space. Example, 320gb will never be 320, itll be less. Like the other poster said, try google for the exact reason

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

320GB is 298GiB. That the OS reports the latter figure as GB, ignoring scientific and standards conventions, is annoying.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 30, 2008, 10:49 PM

Ultimately, it's around a 7% loss. Stupid, indeed.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2008, 06:36 PM

(cleanup)
( Last edited by Powerbook; Nov 2, 2008 at 03:01 PM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2008, 07:18 PM

it is actually 320 * 10^9 bytes. If u divide that thrice by 1024 you get 298.023GB. I wish marketing is more ethical as it is not 320GByte but 320*10^9 bytes.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Nov 1, 2008, 10:17 PM

Make a few partitions to recoop some of it.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 11:15 PM

The partitioning won't change anything regarding the GB vs. GiB issue. There will always be a (1.024/)^3 =~ 1.073 scaling factor. For the customers that means they'll be getting 7% less than they expect. And as we move to TB disks you can add another power to that scaling increasing the difference to around 10%.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2008, 08:10 AM

(cleanup)
( Last edited by Powerbook; Nov 2, 2008 at 03:01 PM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2008, 11:18 AM

I thought the rest of your files were scaled accordingly, thus actually giving you the "relative" hard disk space that you purchased.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2008, 12:53 PM

What I don't get is why they continue to advertise drives as 320 GB, etc when they know that not one computer will actually display it as such. What's the point, other than angry customers? It's not like the "actual formatted capacity" varies from machine to machine so they put 320 as an approximation. They know it'll show up as ~ 300 GB, so why not advertise it as such.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2008, 01:00 PM

While we who dabble or specialize in such things understand that "gigabytes" (or "kilobytes" for that matter) are actually a binary value rather than a scientific notation value, "Joe Consumer" generally doesn't have a clue. Expressing things in "billions of bytes" as opposed to "1.024 X 1 billion" bytes is indeed dumbing down the information, but since the bulk of consumers don't know crap about it anyway, at least drive makers are (for the last several years, anyway) reflecting which value they're reporting on the box, rather than just letting people believe what they believe.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 3, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by irockdabari View Post
I thought the rest of your files were scaled accordingly, thus actually giving you the "relative" hard disk space that you purchased.
In a nutshell, not any more.

On really, really old filesystems (like the old HFS, aka Mac OS Standard), the number of blocks on a partition (the smallest unit of storage; a file consumes multiples of these) was fixed. Consequently, on a bigger drive, the blocks were bigger, so the waste from blocks that weren't full would grow.

[example to follow uses made up numbers]
For example, let's say that we're using a format where a 500MB drive would have had a block size of 4KB, where a 1GB drive would have had an 8KB block size. Then you write a 2KB file. Since files must use whole blocks, then that 2KB file will use a whole block -- 4KB or 8KB, respectively. That results in waste (called "slack") of 2KB or 6KB, respectively. This is also the case for larger files. Let's say you're writing a 51KB file. On the 500MB drive, you'd completely fill 12 blocks and partially fill one more, for 13 blocks used, wasting 1KB of the last block. On the 1GB drive, you'd be using 7 blocks, but would be wasting 5KB of a block. Now imagine a 20GB hard drive, which would have 160KB blocks, causing HUGE amounts of slack.

If you've ever wondered what the difference is in the Finder's Get Info window, where it says, for example, "48KB on disk (48,545 bytes)", the first number is the file size plus its slack, while the second number is the exact size of the file without slack.

That's why partitioning into small partitions could help reduce slack.

But modern filesystems (like HFS+, aka Mac OS Extended) have fixed block sizes (typically 4KB), and have essentially limitless numbers of blocks, so there is NO efficiency gain from partitioning.

Think of the hard drive as a cupboard, and the blocks are little jars. On old filesystems, the number of jars was fixed, so a bigger cupboard held larger jars. On new filesystems, the jars are always small, but the number of jars is flexible. Now as you fill jars with, say, different kinds of pickles, you can fill more than one jar with the same pickles, but you can't mix two kinds of pickles in the same jar. So if you have one and a half jars' worth of a kind of pickles, you must waste 1/2 jar of space in the cupboard. Bigger jars can waste more space, as you can imagine.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
What I don't get is why they continue to advertise drives as 320 GB, etc when they know that not one computer will actually display it as such. What's the point, other than angry customers? It's not like the "actual formatted capacity" varies from machine to machine so they put 320 as an approximation. They know it'll show up as ~ 300 GB, so why not advertise it as such.
Who's going to buy the 300GiB drive when the 320GB drive right next to it is the same price?

The real solution is for software to start using the proper/official SI units for base-2 prefixes.

Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Who's going to buy the 300GiB drive when the 320GB drive right next to it is the same price?

The real solution is for software to start using the proper/official SI units for base-2 prefixes.
Exactly. Everyone would have to advertise it as what it is.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2008, 03:45 AM

To clear up the mess, a manufacturer could start adding capacity to their drives so the drive they sell as "320 GB" actually offers 320 GB. But adding those extra 7% capacity costs money. That's a disadvantage compared to all the competitors selling 299 GB HDDs under the same 320 GB label. And since all HDD manufacturers know that, they just keep everything as it is.

The only thing to do about it: educate yourself. Know what it means beforehand when a HDD manufacturer sells as a drive as containing so and so many GBs. And of course software should take this into account. If you're going to inform people about the details, then do it right.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2008, 09:03 AM

The one thing that keeps bugging me on this issue is the fact that when computer companies were selling CRTs and they advertised a 15" crt, you didn't really get that in actual viewing area. They were sued, made some lawyers very rich and changed how they marketed the monitors.

Why hasn't this happened with the hard drives? I paid X dollars for a 320 gig drive but I'm only getting < 300 gig - this seems ripe for a lawsuit but drive manufacturers have been doing this for years.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 09:42 AM

I thought there actually was such a lawsuit. But IIRC the manufacturers won. If you look closely there's usually an asterisk somewhere. If you then get out a micrscope you'll see something like this

Originally Posted by Apple
1GB=1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.

hbone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2008, 12:58 AM

9GB for OS 10.5 + all those updates

Same with itunes 200MB and iLife updates

Security updates

blah blah blah

Forum Links
Forum Rules