Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Network problem on X (and a weird uptime result)

Network problem on X (and a weird uptime result)
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 03:04 AM

firstly, the ethernet network problem. this has happened more than a couple of times now. my TCP/IP settings get 'reset'(?) to manual and all fields show 255.255.255.255 as the IP when i select "using DHCP". i can still browse the net tho. but again when i use a classic application to connect to the net, it doesnt work. net monitor doesnt work either. everything starts working again only after a restart. logging out and back in doesnt help. the console showed some sort of an error with a 'configd...' file. i dont remember the exact error.

so, i decide to use netstat in the terminal and i dont know if it really worked or not.
then i go ahead and type 'last'... and it shows me results only from april 1 onwards. is there a limit as to how many log entries the 'last' command shows? if so how can i change it?

and then, when i type 'uptime' heres what i get:

the reason why it shows 5 users is cause i used transparent dock and it opens upto five terminal windows simultaneously... and theres that terminal bug that doesnt log the user out when the terminal window is closed. but what explains 11789 days??? i thought only windows could show such a stupid thing.

p.s. i forced mail.app to quit while it was checking for new mail, could that have caused the network problem?

edit: running 10.1.2

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Macfreak7 ]

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 02:26 PM

so no one knows whats going on here?

(sorry about the bump up)

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 04:28 PM

The date problem is simple.

11789 days ago (well, 11790 now) takes you to January 1, 1970, which is the unix epoch for when time began.

This means when your machine booted it thought the date was Jan 1 1970.

After booting the date changed (either manually or automatically using a network time server) to the correct date, but the system doesn't know that, hence the long uptime (it only calculates the difference between now() and time at boot.

What kind of machine are you running on?

Clock problems like this are often attributed to bad batteries on the motherboard, but they usually last for years. This could also explain the network settings, although that is still a little wierd.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules