Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Refurbish a powerbook?

Refurbish a powerbook?
C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:09 PM

Does anyone know of a company that will refurbish a powerbook of mine? One of my users has abused the heck out of a TiG4/400: worn, scratched, dented, cracked case in the rear corner, overall it's a sad looking abused little machine.

The insides function just fine, but the problem is that I can't really give it to a new user in this shape.... welcome to our company, here's your laptop that looks like it covered the war in Iraq. We're an advertising agency- superficial presentation matters much. If I could find a way to get my working insides into a presentable case, I wouldn't have to retire this usable computer quite yet.

Any thoughts?
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

msykes
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling you are out of luck. Refurbished products don't tend to be ones that have gone through that much abuse. They are slightly used, and have been checked out to make sure that they still operate under advertised specs, but for the most part I think the actual amount of refurbishing is pretty minimal.

It would take far too much time and money to replace all the case parts in such a machine to make it worthwhile. Sounds like it's time for a clause in your contracts about damaging corporate computers...

djjava
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Does anyone know of a company that will refurbish a powerbook of mine? One of my users has abused the heck out of a TiG4/400: worn, scratched, dented, cracked case in the rear corner, overall it's a sad looking abused little machine.

The insides function just fine, but the problem is that I can't really give it to a new user in this shape.... welcome to our company, here's your laptop that looks like it covered the war in Iraq. We're an advertising agency- superficial presentation matters much. If I could find a way to get my working insides into a presentable case, I wouldn't have to retire this usable computer quite yet.

Any thoughts?
EBAY.. some sucker out there is always looking for a deal.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 10:28 PM

Don't want to sell it for a cheap price, want a working machine to be in presentable shape for a new user.....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2003, 06:57 AM

i'd say to either looking into a new shell for it, (ebay? ) and do it yourself. if not, weigh the price between getting a newer machine versus having to pay $$ to have someone refurb a older machine that while still viable isnt "state of the art" anymore
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 11:39 AM

Turn it into a design project....
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

uberden
Forum Regular
May 22, 2003, 04:35 PM

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by uberden:
Have you tried http://www.macresq.com/ or http://www.pbparts.com/ ?
or the powerbook guy?

www.powerbookguy.com

http://www.powerbookcentral.com/

OpenStep
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 05:53 PM

Don't try and repair it yourself. My PBG4 got dropped and I bought new case panels for it and the repair ended up being a nightmare. Apple ended up fixing the case for $320 flat fee once the inverter blew and the system had other problems. Working inside the PBG4's is a nightmare and things can easily break trying to do it yourself (plus the prices of new casing is outrageous)

Forum Links
Forum Rules