Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new 6 series - One of the best BMWs lately?

The new 6 series - One of the best BMWs lately?
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:23 PM

So recently Chris Bangle has tried to redefine BMW's design and styling, and i think the entire line is kinda in disarray, especially with the inconsistencies with the lights designing. BUT.. the new 6 series seems to define exactly what he's trying to get to, and i think it's beautiful. I can't think of any other BMW i'd want more.
The only downside i can think of is the trunk, and the rear lights kinda looks like that on a Porsche.

link

Comments?

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Comments?
http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue005.html

There's my comment.

- Ca$h

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 04:44 PM

the new 6 series seems to define exactly what he's trying to get to, and i think it's beautiful. I can't think of any other BMW i'd want more.

This one seemed pretty much to the point.

I'm liking it better and better every time I see one on the street. Which is fairly frequently.

-s*

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by wifedoer68:
http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue005.html

There's my comment.

- Ca$h
He's trying something new. Obviously it's not everyday that you get the perfect design in one shot. I didn't like the new 7 at all. Nor the 5.. until i saw it in person of course. So yeah, people are being too critical because they're holding on the the previous design too much.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:49 PM

the designer should have his eyes gouged out because he is obviously not using them anyway, churning out the crapomatic new 7 and new 5...

the z4 is the only exception from the bunch

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
*image snipped*
This one seemed pretty much to the point.

I'm liking it better and better every time I see one on the street. Which is fairly frequently.

-s*
The only thing i don't like about that Z4, is the rear lights. I can't provide an alternative right away, but i think they should've kept it along the lines of the 6.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

Having seen the new 5 in person and on the move, I actually have come around to liking it and rather forgiving of the trunk.

The Bangle Motoren Werke 7 series, though, is still too flabby. And that does not take into account the whole trunk/aft atrocity.

The Z4. No comment. I prefer the new S2000.

The 6 looks decent in the photos. We shall see in person, though.
I, ASIMO.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:51 PM

He's trying something new. Obviously it's not everyday that you get the perfect design in one shot. I didn't like the new 7 at all. Nor the 5.. until i saw it in person of course. So yeah, people are being too critical because they're holding on the the previous design too much.
how are they holding onto the previous design too much BWMs have looked a certain way and people buy them because they look a certian way... completely revising them to look like a mish mash of every other car it retarded

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
how are they holding onto the previous design too much BWMs have looked a certain way and people buy them because they look a certian way... completely revising them to look like a mish mash of every other car it retarded
I'm not talking about why they buy BMWs.. i'm only saying that people seem to be overly critical of the new designs because they're too affiliated with the previous styling.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:57 PM

I'm not talking about why they buy BMWs.. i'm only saying that people seem to be overly critical of the new designs because they're too affiliated with the previous styling.
ok since people buy things they like, what is the point of completely changing the design to have it look like every other car

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 04:58 PM

Has anyone sales figures on these new Bangle-fangled Bimmers? How are they doing in the market place? By my scientific eyeball, these Bangle-mobiles are moving along just fine.
I, ASIMO.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
ok since people buy things they like, what is the point of completely changing the design to have it look like every other car
It's your opinion that it looks like every other car. It does have a distinct new style which hasn't yet trickled down to all other models in the BMW line up, which you CAN however, see it in the new 6, and like Spheric pointed out the Z4.

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 05:14 PM

The new BMW line looks like ****, not because it broke away from the previous designs, but because it looks like ****. Period.

- Ca$h

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Has anyone sales figures on these new Bangle-fangled Bimmers? How are they doing in the market place? By my scientific eyeball, these Bangle-mobiles are moving along just fine.
Well... Rumour (from pretty good source) has it that they're doing an "emergency facelift" on the 7. You don't do emergency facelifts if your product is selling like it's supposed to.

I don't know anyone who likes the new stuff. I don't know anyone who doesn't like the old stuff. That should say a lot.

Thing is with BM, they have a pretty specific market. BM customers value timeless, classic, subtle looks. The new stuff has the look of "crap, Ford have their new edge design, what can we have so we aren't left behind?".

Notice how they even crapped out with the recent 3 revisions? The old headlights used to be "baseline to the floor", suggesting solidity and a liking for the road. New headlights are upside down and now remind me of the toy Thor helmet in the film "Adventures in Babysitting (A Night On The Town)".

There's a saying over there in the colonies: "If it ain't broke..."

BM have dropped off my radar due to this (and Audi doesn't get it either, on account of someone in their styling department being in love with Boba Fett).
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 06:25 PM

Good looking BMWs:

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 06:25 PM

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 06:34 PM

- $

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 06:40 PM

Nice for a lil' car!!!

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 07:03 PM

Easily the best and most beautiful BMW ever made. The 850.

- Ca$h

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 09:04 PM

You mean the second best BMW ever produced. You're forgetting about the car everyone wishes they owned... the E30 M3.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 09:07 PM

Yeah, those are hella sweet also, but I think I'd still rather have the 850CSI. I just love those cars. Mmm v12......

- Ca$h

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 09:11 PM

Mmm v12......
Hmmm.... Arhh... Ummm.... No, not going there.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 09:11 PM

You'd get better gas mileage and pay less insurance for the e30

/Ca$h's old Neon argument...

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Hmmm.... Arhh... Ummm.... No, not going there.
It must be a touring car since it's a coupe with a v12, right?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
You mean the second best BMW ever produced. You're forgetting about the car everyone wishes they owned... the E30 M3.
THAT is the only one posted so far that comes close to looking as good as the Z4 IMO. Except MAYBE the 850.

That black 316 (or what) with the narrow rims is an absolute atrocity, rivalled for retch factor only by the vile blue *thing* the ****er of wives posted just above it.

YECCH.

FWIW, I absolutely dislike BMW design from the late 80's onwards, until very recently. The Z3 was the first one I liked again, until it became ubiquitous, killed by its own popularity.

-s*

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 09:16 PM

You'd get better gas mileage and pay less insurance for the e30

/Ca$h's old Neon argument...
Still, they're completley different cars. You could get in the 850 and drive it across the country at 140mph with no problems and be super comfy. Or you could get in the E30 M3 and haul ass around mountain roads. The E30 is probably more fun, but the sex appeal and badassness of the 850CSI make me...just... ahhhhhhhhh

It's basically like an SVX only with 6 more cylinders, more gizmos, and more HP.

- Rob

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 09:19 PM

Cool, in an 80s-tastic way. But look at that awful boot (trunk) lid arrangement - looks a bit similar to the new 7-series doesn't it?

Anyway, new 6 series is nice, but nothing can beat the original "shark nose" 70s 6 series. M635CSi....nice.

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 09:19 PM

That black 316 (or what) with the narrow rims is an absolute atrocity,
-s*
Narrow wheels? First off, they're quite wide. Secondly, I don't know how you could tell the width of the wheel by any of those photos.

And lastly, that blue 'thing' is an m5, the most powerful, fastest production sedan on the planet. I'll mark down that as ignroance; only once shall I, and only once can I. You are ordered to respect it from this point onwards.

- Ca$h

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 09:20 PM

THAT is the only one posted so far that comes close to looking as good as the Z4 IMO. Except MAYBE the 850.

That black 316 (or what) with the narrow rims is an absolute atrocity, rivalled for retch factor only by the vile blue *thing* the ****er of wives posted just above it.

YECCH.

FWIW, I absolutely dislike BMW design from the late 80's onwards, until very recently. The Z3 was the first one I liked again, until it became ubiquitous, killed by its own popularity.

-s*
At first I thought the black car Rob posted was a 316 (or something similar), but the writing in the picture "only 10 made" make me think otherwise. I personally think it's a nice looking car; tastefully put together and not at all rice or boy-racer looking.

I love the design of the early 90s 7 series, and any of the M5s. The regular Z3 is only "meh" to me, but the Z3 coupe is oh so sexy IMO .

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 09:22 PM

Still, they're completley different cars. You could get in the 850 and drive it across the country at 140mph with no problems and be super comfy. Or you could get in the E30 M3 and haul ass around mountain roads. The E30 is probably more fun, but the sex appeal and badassness of the 850CSI make me...just... ahhhhhhhhh

It's basically like an SVX only with 6 more cylinders, more gizmos, and more HP.

- Rob
I know Rob. I was just with you .

OT: there's a guy on my campus that owns an SVX. I haven't seen who it is, but it sits basically right outside my window every day. The windows still look fugly

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2003, 09:28 PM

At first I thought the black car Rob posted was a 316 (or something similar), but the writing in the picture "only 10 made" make me think otherwise. I personally think it's a nice looking car; tastefully put together and not at all rice or boy-racer looking.
Definitely not a standard Compact, so the "only 10 made" is prolly referring to "only 10 modified". Like a Hartge special edition or something.

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 09:36 PM

I know Rob. I was just with you .

OT: there's a guy on my campus that owns an SVX. I haven't seen who it is, but it sits basically right outside my window every day. The windows still look fugly
When it snows, you shoul ask him to give you a ride. You'll understand everything SVX afterwords.

- Rob

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 09:40 PM

Talking of sports coupes, this was the fastest car I have ever had, the best looking aswell

140 mph and solid as a rock. top speed 165 mph.

looks better than that 850, but they are nice also

i and i am an ideeot , yes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2003, 09:42 PM

Narrow wheels? First off, they're quite wide. Secondly, I don't know how you could tell the width of the wheel by any of those photos.
Sorry - not a car guy. I meant the thin tires and racing rims.

Totally disproportionate on such a small car. Look really silly IMO.

That *is* a 3-series compact, isn't it?
And lastly, that blue 'thing' is an m5, the most powerful, fastest production sedan on the planet. I'll mark down that as ignroance; only once shall I, and only once can I. You are ordered to respect it from this point onwards.
It may be powerful and fast, but in that color, it made my eyeballs turn inside out, followed by my stomach.

Oh, and Steve: yeah, it was really the Z3 coupe that convinced me. The only reason for that being blatant design stealing, of course; it really can't match its role model for style:

Copy:

Original:

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Oct 16, 2003 at 09:04 AM. )

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 09:44 PM

my next car (yeah yeah, It's a SUV and I don't care! Diesel btw)

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 15, 2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by neigh-neigh-woo:
Talking of sports coupes, this was the fastest car I have ever had, the best looking aswell

928[/img]
One of the guys on the SVX forums used to have one of those, and I saw a bright white one today. My question is, if you had one of those, WHY WOULD YOU EVER SELL IT?!?!?!

- Rob

tintub
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 10:23 PM

I'll take one of these, please:

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 15, 2003, 10:42 PM

140 mph and solid as a rock. top speed 165 mph.

looks better than that 850, but they are nice also
Dad has a 928

Took that pick last time I visited.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Dad has a 928

Took that pick last time I visited.
Too bad its parked next to that Neon.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 01:05 AM

UGH. I think Bangle has ruined a line of previously handsome/tastefully done cars. It remains to be seen what will happen to the M3 & M5 once Bangle mangles their lines.

I know of M3 buyers who bought their 2003 early to avoid the possibility of getting a "Bangle-ized" 2004 M3. Thank goodness the '04s weren't changed.

However, after reading some of the rumors of what will be UNDER the hoods of the new M3/4's (poss. V8 w/ 400hp) and M5 (poss. V10 w/ 500hp).....

wifedoer68
Banned
Oct 16, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
Yeah too bad. I mean, close to 1g and mid 15s for under 5 grand, and its reliable to boot?

Who's going to spend tons of $ for a porche when those things are available???

- Rob

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 01:25 AM

Gee, you guys.. there's a reason why i said "lately" in the subject, let's not bring in that '83 M3, or any other model older than 5 years. Kinda late for that tho.

Btw, I think the X3 is fugly. they need to shelve it.

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 07:05 AM

My question is, if you had one of those, WHY WOULD YOU EVER SELL IT?!?!?!
Ahh good question...was just coming back from the garage , it had a small leak repaired on a gearbox seal.It had gone into a gearbox specialist..I say this because its a theory about why the following happened...

I was following my friend in his ford escort van back to his place after picking the 928 up, and he went round the corner OK no problem at about 40 mph..When i went round it, (ok i did power on a bit) the back end came sliding out..i steered into and went into a sideways slide for about 100 metres (there was traffic coming the other way) ..mounted the kerb on the left side (drive on left) and onto a grass verge, and into an old stone built wall...

demolished to wall kept sliding as the front slid past the wall, went down a ditch hit a concrete sign had a tree brach impale the passenger side.

Then I just got out, as if I had parked it there.. really safe car to be in solid as hell..if i had been in a neon or some other normal car then it migh have been a lot worse.

A theory I have is that it had been sitting around for a few days in a gearbox workshop and some gearbox oil had gotton onto /in the tyres (they are 245's on the back) as that sliding wasnt normal.

Wrote the thing offf ...�13 grands worth of parts required to fix it and it was an �8 grand car.
A lot of the body panels where aluminium..that nose cone on the front was worth big money on its own.

Hey zimphire..nice car...looks like an S4...? same as mine was. is it an auto or stick shift ? one of the best looking cars ever made i think..

glad i had it...
[quote]tintubby-j/k[quote]
Better than a lotus carlton anyday just a sooped up vauxhallit may be faster, who cares look at it..
( Last edited by neigh-neigh-woo; Oct 16, 2003 at 07:15 AM. )

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 07:13 AM

Ahh good question...was just coming back from the garge , it had a small leak repaired on a gearbox seal.It had gone into a gearbox specialist..I say this because its a theory about why the following happened...

I was following my friend in his ford escort van back to his place after picking the 928 up, and he went round the corner OK no problem at about 40 mph..When i went round it, (ok i did power on a bit) the back end came sliding out..i steered into and went into a sideways slide for about 100 metres (there was traffic coming the other way) ..mounted the kerb on the left side (drive on left) and onto a grass verge, and into an old stone built wall...
Sideways for 100m in a 928 when chasing an Escort van? Sounds like you had crap tyres on it.

(edit: this reply before neigh-neigh's edit adding the bit about oil on the tyres. Yep.)

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
I'll take one of these, please:

I thought Lotus Carltons had a big square bodykit. Cool though, not as OTT as anything Ford was doing at the time, quite exclusive , and could beat the pants of almost anything on the road.
Didn't sell well though, nobody wanted to spend that sort of cash on a Vauxhall/Opal.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
That was a real intelligent statement.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2003, 07:48 AM

Yeah too bad. I mean, close to 1g and mid 15s for under 5 grand, and its reliable to boot?

Who's going to spend tons of $ for a porche when those things are available???

- Rob
People who make such statements don't know cars. They know car names. BTW Cold intake installed yesterday

neigh-neigh-woo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2003, 08:16 AM

I think he does know about cars....

You want both really... ideal a cheap runabout and a fast tourer, sunday car.

Total different quality to the "super car"

same (probably) with the top beamers like the 6 and 7 series

also depands how much money you have and how much you want something...you only get one life , i am very glad i had one..

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2003, 08:52 AM

I wanted a non-expensive fun car that was good on gas.

The R/T goes beyond that.

saxman
Oct 16, 2003, 06:16 PM

Bmw's rock. Always have, always will.

+1
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

Forum Links
Forum Rules