Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More Ram definitely makes a difference

More Ram definitely makes a difference
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 04:29 PM

I just installed another 512mb of memory. I don't know why I was expecting a great speed difference, but I can now run VPC without any slowdowns or hesitations. VPC actually runs very quick, Windows XP works well and jst as good as a regular PC computer. What other differences were you guys able to notice?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

sbc
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 04:37 PM

That's good to hear. I want to make the PB plunge but worry about the PC/MS withdrawl. I always wondered the performance of VPC with 2GB of RAM, with a gig dedicated to each OS.
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 04:46 PM

I only have 256 dedicated to Windows XP and it is very useable, with 1gb dedicated, I could only imagine.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

painintheear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 08:56 PM

My friend and I both have VPC on our Macs. Mine is a G3 800 iBook, and his is a G4 1.25 ALPB. We were only able to give the VPC about 540 meg of ram because the program wouldn't allow us to opt for more. Of course, I don't have the option as I only have 640 in mine, and it would only let me put in about 400 something. He has over a gig of ram and he could only give it half. Can you give it more? I am about to get the PB and will get more memory if I need to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules