Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G3 iMac heat issues?

G3 iMac heat issues?
Recontech
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2005, 02:28 AM

I've noticed that I can't find a fan anywhere on my G3 iMac, and that it gets VERY hot after an entire day of usage. Is this ok? Or should I install some sort of a fan?

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 03:47 AM

The iMac DV range and later CRT iMacs did not have fans and use convective cooling which keeps them nice and quiet*. They seem to run quite warm as the hot air leaves out of the top of the unit. If you are still concerned, ensure that you have good air flow around the underside.

*Assuming your HD and Optical drive are not too noisy.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2005, 06:36 AM

My little strawberry iMacDV (G3) 400 is over 5 years old, and still going strong. It has never had any problems other than when it was struck by lightning once! (the modem got fried and that's it).

And yes, it does get hot enough to fry eggs on it after a couple of hours use. It is designed like this, and to account for this, and has never caused a problem for me. I have never had it on for more than 24 hours at a time though.

If it worries you, as Will C said, make sure it has plenty of room around it for air to circulate.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 10:25 AM

My G3 iMac works fine, except of course for the fact that the internal HD now makes a loud whining sound, but that's not due to heat.... I use it a lot too, for long periods of time, you shouldn't worry
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2005, 09:49 PM

It's fine. I've used my Lime iMac G3 DV 400 for the last 5 years and it's still going good. They get hot, but that's how they were designed to operate.

Just throw a slice of cold pizza over top for about 20 minutes and it's done! JK!
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 04:44 PM

If you're concerned about the heat just let is sleep overnight or when you're not using it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules