Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop Folder...GONE

Desktop Folder...GONE
Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2001, 05:19 AM

Definitely a weirdo problem.

I have my OS 9 and OS X systems all installed on one partition on a 20 gig hard drive on my PowerBook Pismo. I have a grip of files on my desktop in OS 9; ones I use all the time.

When I boot into OS X, I can't access these files. I have no way of accessing my OS 9 Desktop Folder in OS X at all. Sherlock can't find any of the files, either. I deleted the alias that OS X makes when you first installed by accident, and I've been screwed since then.

When I launch a Classic app, I have access to my Apple Menu. I use BeHierarchic, so I can browse the files on my desktop via the Apple Menu. When I try to navigate the Desktop Folder through Classic, it's empty. It's like all my files just went up in smoke.

The wierd thing about it is when I boot BACK into OS 9, there are all my files, safe and sound. It's just strange how Sherlock can't find anything in my Desktop Folder when I'm running X, but it can when I'm running 9.

Anyone else have this problem, or can tell me how to fix? It's driving me nuts.
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 09:34 AM

Did you delete the alias to the OS 9 desktop that was created in your OS X desktop when you installed?

You see, the OS 9 desktop is actually an invisible folder on the top level of your drive appropriately named Desktop Folder. Sherlock can't find anything in it because it often refuses to search invisible folders or files in OS X. If you make the folder visible of enable the Finder to show all hidden files, you should be able to make a new alias (if you deleted the original, shame on you!) and put that somewhere safe.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

acur128
Aug 1, 2001, 03:39 PM

another option - if you don't mind using the Terminal, is to open up the Terminal application & enter the following at the command prompt:

ln -s '/Desktop Folder' 'Desktop (Mac OS 9)'

including quotes, where "/" is the command line name for the OS X startup volume... this will make a symbolic link (alias) of the Classic Desktop Folder (with the name "Desktop (Mac OS 9)") in the working directory (default is your home directory). Then just move the alias from that directory to wherever you'd like to store it (on the same drive/volume... if you try to move it to a different volume, the link will probably break). If you want to give the alias a different name, just change Desktop (Mac OS 9) to whatever you want to call the alias.

... or, to place the link directly in a certain directory, just change directory (cd) to that directory before using the above command:

cd /Users/yourusername/Desktop

where yourusername is your short user name (home directory name). Or you could combine the 2, and if your user name was "bob", then to place the Classic Desktop Folder alias on your OS X user desktop:

ln -s '/Desktop Folder' '/Users/bob/Desktop/Desktop (Mac OS 9)'

Forum Links
Forum Rules