Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > MacOS backing up WinXP HD.

MacOS backing up WinXP HD.
CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 10:56 AM

Not sure where this goes... Here's the quick version tho.
Nuking and paving a friends Windows XP laptop soon. She's backed up her important data on data DVD's. She has a little 30gb drive in it, and I want to back up the whole drive onto my mac as an image. I can easily pull the drive out of her laptop and stick it into a 2.5" firewire case I have. If I mount it on my mac and then make an image of the drive as a backup on my comp, is there an easy way to restore it to her laptop if she desperatly needs something off it? I figure I'll hold onto the data for a few months untill she is sure she has everything. Windows has a habit of saving things in wierd places, and she might not notice she's missing some document or somthing untill awhile down the road. She needs a clean install of XP and just wants to be sure her bases are covered.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 11:09 AM

Why not connect your mac to her laptop using ethernet / firewire, and make a folder on your mac, and copy everything on her C drive to the folder on your mac. Its easy, does what you want to do, and if she figures out she has lost a file during the re-format, she can give you some details of the file, you can do a quick spotlight search, and send the file to her via email. Easy.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 11:18 AM

Yes that would be the ideal solution. But part of the reason I am nuking and paving her machine is the network (wired and unwired) are no longer working, as well as the CD/DVD drive, and several other random things. (I know the CD drive works as it will boot off an XP cd, but won't see the disc if booted off the hard disk)
Also the machine takes about 15 min to start up for some reason.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 12:10 PM

Right OK, well still do what you were going to do and pop out the HD, put it in a caddy and hook it up to your mac. Then just copy the entire drive contents as per the way i detailed above.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 04:22 PM

If the OS is corrupted (which is what you are indicating), then backing up the drive, wiping it, and restoring your backup won't solve anything. If all you are trying to do is save your user data, then I would use the Windows XP migration assistant and backup that folder only for later restoring.
-- Jason

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2006, 06:08 PM

I second harrisjamieh's idea, easiest and most convineint (as far as I know, and it will make sure you don't leave ANYTHING behind if you copy the entire HD)
This signature is obsolete.

Forum Links
Forum Rules