Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Birthday Macintosh!

Happy Birthday Macintosh!
CIA
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 01:39 PM

How has no one remembered this?
To quote the famous 1984 commercial:

"On January 24th Apple computer will introduce Macintosh, and you'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984"

So today is the 23rd anniversary of the unveiling and/or release of the first Mac. (Macintosh 128k) Has no one else mentioned this?
( Last edited by CIA; Jan 24, 2007 at 02:06 PM. )
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 03:23 PM

After a certain age people only remember your birthdays when divisible by 5. Dunno why.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
After a certain age people only remember your birthdays when divisible by 5. Dunno why.
Hehe, so true.

I mean Apple didn't even do anything special for the Mac's 20th birthday, or Apple's 30th. That disappointed me.

But yeah, Happy Birthday Mac! Older and wiser, yet more hip and cool than ever.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 03:36 PM

Does anyone REALLY remember how cool the Mac was in '84? Over the years you really forget how friggin' revolutionary the thing was. I couldn't wait to own my own.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Does anyone REALLY remember how cool the Mac was in '84? Over the years you really forget how friggin' revolutionary the thing was. I couldn't wait to own my own.
I was but a mere youngin' back in '84, so I wasn't concerned with computers. I was concerned with Star Wars and Atari. But I do remember the first time I used a Mac (which was years later). And I remember the feeling I got from it. I still get that feeling every time I get a new Mac (or iPod). When I open a new Mac I feel like I'm a child again.

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 05:30 PM

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I mean Apple didn't even do anything special for the Mac's 20th birthday, or Apple's 30th. That disappointed me.
I vaguely recall someone saying Steve had something against celebrating birthdays or something, but it might be totally unfounded. It was probably in one of those biographies.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
I vaguely recall someone saying Steve had something against celebrating birthdays or something, but it might be totally unfounded. It was probably in one of those biographies.
I wouldn't be surprised. So was the 20th Anniversary Mac made when Steve was not with Apple? I can't recall the exact timing.

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 01:21 PM

Steve wasn't at Apple for the 20th anniversary mac. That computer was more for the 20th birthday of Apple, not the actual Macintosh product line anyway. It's name is kind of confusing.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Steve wasn't at Apple for the 20th anniversary mac. That computer was more for the 20th birthday of Apple, not the actual Macintosh product line anyway. It's name is kind of confusing.
Yeah, and that further reinforces the notion that Steve isn't into celebrating birthdays with special products. I don't blame him I guess, its kind of cheesy. But at least they could celebrate by offering discounts or something. Anything.

CIA  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah, and that further reinforces the notion that Steve isn't into celebrating birthdays with special products. I don't blame him I guess, its kind of cheesy. But at least they could celebrate by offering discounts or something. Anything.
Even a tiny note at the bottom of apple.com or... jeez just a small press release sent out over the wires. Ya, it's not a huge deal or anything, but completely ignoring it seems odd. I mean, any press is good press right?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 04:00 PM

I agree that celebrating birthdays with a special anniversary edition of a product is kind of cheesy, but I would like to a see a special event, or perhaps an official Apple-sponsored documentary that takes a retrospective look at the evolution of the Mac.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I agree that celebrating birthdays with a special anniversary edition of a product is kind of cheesy, but I would like to a see a special event, or perhaps an official Apple-sponsored documentary that takes a retrospective look at the evolution of the Mac.
Or maybe set up a contest, where they ask Mac users to make their own documentaries about the history of the Mac, using of course Macs and Apple software. Winners would get cool stuff, etc.

They've done things like that in the past, so I know they're not totally against something like that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules