Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Word HELP!

Microsoft Word HELP!
mkerr64
Senior User
Nov 8, 2012, 08:29 AM

Hi there
I am running OSX with 2011 word. i've been working on an important word document for quite some time and just today i noticed that when i look for the file it is missing, i used finder and no luck and also nothing has been found in the trash. I then went into word tried to open"recent documents" found it except "word was unable to find the document would you like to locate it yourself?"

Can someone please tell me how i find this missing document
thank you so much!!!!!!!
R.I.P Steve Jobs

andi*pandi
Nov 8, 2012, 09:37 AM

Where are you looking? Check the users/yourname/Microsoft User Data folder, is there an Autorecovery folder in there? Hopefully a save file is in there!

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2012, 10:19 AM

I saved it on my desktop in a folder. which had 2 items and one which is missing now.
i already tried /user/documents/microsoft data folder/ office 2011 auto recovery. and it is not present there.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2012, 01:01 PM

As a desperate guess…

Perhaps the file's name somehow got changed. If so. It may help to do a Spotlight search on a word or two that is unique to your lost document.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2012, 02:06 PM

how do you exactly do a spotlight search? i know of some key unique words that can be identified.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
how do you exactly do a spotlight search? i know of some key unique words that can be identified.
Click on the little magnifing glass in the top-right of the Menu Bar. In the next drop down window, enter your search term.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Click on the little magnifing glass in the top-right of the Menu Bar. In the next drop down window, enter your search term.
no luck
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2012, 02:52 PM

No time machine backup I take it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
No time machine backup I take it?
I have a drobo backup which i do about every 2 weeks. the device is to a degree loud so i dont run it all the time. and today with my luck it would not mount even after i attempted to repair it via disk utilities. i think it simply need a new backup w/ fresh restore.
R.I.P Steve Jobs

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2012, 08:50 PM

Assuming you have not overwritten it, the file should still be there. Some utilities such as Drive Genius can retrieve these files. The less you do on the machine the likelier that you won't overwrite the file.

hmyw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2013, 12:06 PM

How was this resolved? I just ran into the exact same issue!

Azur Logix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hmyw View Post
How was this resolved? I just ran into the exact same issue!
The Office 2011 AutoRecovery folder located in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/ is NOT the only folder of its kind in your user folder.

The other is located in your hidden Library folder and this is where you'll likely find documents gone missing due to crashes, sudden quits, kernel panics, etc…

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2011 AutoRecovery/

hmyw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2013, 06:30 PM

I got as far as Library/Application Support/Microsoft..but I don't have a folder for "Office" therefore no way to get to Office 2011 AutoRecovery folder. Under documents/Microsoft User Data..I can't find the "Office 2011 AutoRecovery" folder from there either.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2013, 09:52 AM

Which version of OS X are you running? 10.8 automatically hides the USER library, which is, I think, where your AutoRecovery folder should be...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2013, 10:47 PM

By any chance did you had a USB memory connected to your Mac? If so, check there since its a common problem that the file is there instead of the desktop and when you want to retrieve it doesn't find it anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules