Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air goes quad core and has scissor keyboard

MacBook Air goes quad core and has scissor keyboard
And.reg
The Mighty
Mar 18, 2020, 09:26 AM

Quad core config. available, retina display, scissor keyboard no touchbar, lightweight...

Edit: 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory, zoom...

What do you think?
( Last edited by And.reg; Mar 18, 2020 at 05:38 PM. )

Thorzdad
Mar 19, 2020, 08:26 AM

Here's an overview of the new MBA. It's definitely compelling.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails

reader50
Administrator
Mar 19, 2020, 01:41 PM

Ports: 2x thunderbolt (USB-C), headphone jack.
SSD still proprietary. No mention of upgrades, which likely means solder.
RAM apparently soldered down. No mention of upgrades.

We won't have confirmation on the internals until iFixit does their magic.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Mar 19, 2020, 03:39 PM

No mention of upgrades, because it's still cheaper to solder everything down. For the price point, this is an excellent machine. I personally would still to have had two more ports, even if they're slower.

I would also like to point out, since this is not a Pro machine (whereas the Pro Mac allows upgrades), the Pro Mac has 2933MHz DDR4 ECC memory, whereas the 2020 Macbook Air has 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory (800 MHz faster...) and up to 16 GB.

My personalized question based on my needs:
Is the 2020 Macbook Air "conveniently quiet" or "distractingly loud" when connected to an external 4K monitor?

I ask because I've heard of the previous year's Macbook Air being loud and fans "constantly spinning up." I've had that happen a few times as well on my 2017 MBP 15 but only with unusually intensive tasks. Fortunately I have iStat Menu Pro to keep my sanity in check, e.g., what the heck is causing it this time (CPU pre-processing of a .mp4, junk content loaded into Safari, Preview recalculating pixel scaling, Preview applying color adjustments to a big photo, etc.

P
Mar 19, 2020, 06:17 PM

And this is how Intel’s 10nm arrives four years late - not with a bang, but with a whimper. This is Ice Lake, the redesign on 10nm that was originally planned after Cannonlake, the 10nm shrink of Skylake. Will be interesting to see some benches, in particular of the GPU now that it has the memory bandwidth it needs. Mainly I want to see what the 13” MBP looks like when it finally launches, as that one will have a TDP that will let the GPU breathe.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Ports: 2x thunderbolt (USB-C), headphone jack.
SSD still proprietary. No mention of upgrades, which likely means solder.
RAM apparently soldered down. No mention of upgrades.

We won't have confirmation on the internals until iFixit does their magic.
The SSD is never going back to something upgradeable, I think. Apple has put the controller in the T2 chip for security, and that makes upgrades impossible.

As for soldered RAM...LPDDR is always soldered - there are no DIMMs available. Since the benefits of using it are significant, Apple isn’t going to back down from that - and the Air always had soldered RAM anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

And.reg  (op)
The Mighty
Mar 24, 2020, 04:12 PM

2020 MacBook Air - fan still not connected to the heat sink but there are modifications to the cooling channel, as per:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5__EH3Nxg&t=500

Forum Links
Forum Rules