Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should I get a Pismo or...?

Should I get a Pismo or...?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 01:39 AM

As you have seen me post before about getting an iBook or PBook, well I decided to get a new iMac 17" or 20" (I'll make my decision when I get the money for it.) And wait for the Intel Macs for my Laptop.

Well now I am wondering about getting a used mac laptop. Manly because I have always liked the older mac laptops, and now wanted one to mess around with and have a portable. I've seen a lot of people on here praise the Pismo, but I was also considering a Clamshell iBook maybe the SE with faster processor. Or any other used laptops like the Wallstreet or Lambard. This won't be needed for anything at all intense, just wireless internet and word.

Also, should I get this before I get the iMac? This will be my first personal mac. I have used some eMacs in highschool, but that was also 2 years ago.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 01:50 AM

Hi,

I am probably one of the biggest fans of the pismo on this board.

I have had pretty much every powerbook made after the pismo, and have sold them all but have kept the pismo. Similar to you, I have a g5 so that is my main machine. As a portable, especially for browsing, durability, good battery life, etc I don't think there is any powerbook better than the pismo. They even have advantages over the new ones. That's why I just sold my powerbook 17".

If it was your main computer, I would say you may need more power. But it is the perfect compliment for a powerful g5. Do what i did, and you'll save some cash for the newer machines that will be out soon (a year).

So go for the pismo, it has many advantages over the clamshells. Just don't spend too much otherwise you'll be in the same price range as an ibook g4.

Good Luck!!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2005, 05:15 AM

Yeah, I completely agree. The Pismo is a great secondary computer, but its power is very light these days. You'll need more.

Best of luck.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 09:41 AM

Sounds just like a situation I was just in. I have a very nice Dual 1.25GHz Powermac G4 MDD that does everything I could possibly want with the exception of being mobile (obviously). I was saving for a powerbook 15" inch for a little while before asking myself, do I really need that? Well, not this year at least. I got my first pismo for $450 dollars shipped with 500Mhz G3, 512MB RAM, and a 40GB hard drive. More than enough for sitting in the cafe browsing the net.

Definitely go for the pismo. Runs tiger like a champ.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 09:55 AM

Not only was my powerbook 17 1.33 overkill for most of the things that I was doing on the laptop, but just the knowledge of new machines coming that would make the g4 chip even more obsolete made me not only NOT want to buy anything new from apple, but made me want to sell the 17" to get back as much money as possible.

My pismo has 1gb memory and a 80gb 5400 Hard Drive with Airport card and dual batteries. It does everything that i would like to do on a laptop. The g5 is there for my power needs.

I did though pick up a 15" titanium g4 in excellent condition recently. I got the rev a 400mhz. Sure it's not that fast, but as a g4 it definitely does everything I need. I mainly got it because of the widescreen. It's not the same resolution as the new ones, but the widescreen is still really easier to use for me. The strangest thing is that the airport range on this one is actually about the same as my pismo, which is really good. And this one actually doesn't get unbearably hot like some of the other titaniums that i had. I was impressed with it and put down some cash for that one.

If anything, I think it's a great time to pick up a used machine for a great price. Happy hunting!!

Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2005, 04:44 PM

I still use my pismo all the time...love it

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. What would be a good price for a pismo? And also should I get the pismo before my iMac? Like I said before this will be my first personal Mac. The last time I used one was in high school 2 years ago.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 09:33 PM

Besides eBay, does anyone have any suggestions for where to pick up a pismo for a decent price? I might be looking for one myself for a family member.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2005, 10:29 PM

I think you should get the pismo first, and if for some reason it does everything you need, then you can hold off on the imac, save the cash and possibly wait for some updated machine, or and older one at a cheaper price.

I paid $200 for my pismo, and after all my upgrades $350. I know that I got a good deal as I have 1gb, 80gb Hard Drive, Airport Card, etc. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get that deal. I think $250-$300 for a 400mhz would be reasonable, and $300-$350 for a 500mhz. I got my pismo (before the upgrades) on ebay. It actually looks brand new!

Good Luck!

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the info, I will probably get the Pismo before the iMac then. I will post later on after I buy it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules