Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Key popped off, what will happen?

Key popped off, what will happen?
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 04:14 AM

I'm still in the 1 year warranty. Will they send me a 1 key replacement or a new keyboard, or worse.... make me send it in to them? I want to hear others experience with this, so I can say the right thing. I plan on calling them tomorrow.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

chrisford
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 05:44 AM

Gah. I had the same problem on a 12" Powerbook - the Alt key broke a little so it flips up occasionally. I called Apple to ask if they'd stick a spare Alt key in a jiffy bag and post it on down to me.

But they'd rather I took it to an Apple dealer, had them examine it, send the whole machine to Apple and have them replace the entire keyboard.

Just seems a little excessive to me.

c

ps - I know the whole '(dis)economy of scale' argument, etc., etc.

tiffer17
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 12:55 PM

A couple of weeks ago, my little sister pulled the right apple key off of my new 15 inch albook. Fortunately, it snapped right back on, so this may not be the same thing you are talking about.

dwood
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 02:13 AM

the key basically consists of 2 parts: the scissor, and the key itself. The scissor is a 2 piece X, and has small nubs the click in to the proper place on the key. If you would have an apple retail store by you, you could just swoop on down there and have it fixed it 5 seconds. Try to find out if the scissor or the key is the bad piece, and see if the AASP maybe can just pop a new one on, maybe they have a bad keyboard laying in back with good keys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules