Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Apple Stuff soon to come, inside info

New Apple Stuff soon to come, inside info
Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 11:22 PM

Ok well i just hung out with my best bud from back in high school tonight, we r boith home for xmas break, who now works for apple and he shared a few kool tidbits with me.

1. The new IBM chip is the new apple chip and man is it fast. But we won't see it till around what he thinks will be build 10.5. He has it running, on a internal build of what will be 10.5 or so, mainly its for hardware compatabilty.No new features added on yet. Its code name, get this is "Pretty Kitty" following all the new apple cat name scemes. h said thats not gonna be the final name but its more of a inside name for a quick laugh. He says it pretty unstable mainly due to the 64 bit backwads compatability. But that they are working hard on it and should be up and running semi soon.

2. At Woz's speach they are going to be unvailing a new portable device. cell phone/pda. It will not be like a pocket pc running os x lite. It'll just be a apple celli, with a more advanced gui for notes and contacts and such that will all link in with isync and addy book, maybe a color screen. And he said there are no talks of a PDA that he has heard of. Just this.

3. 10.2.2 is a shaddy update. He said their call ceter is getting alot of calls about this. the update liked to flag the user level dir as a "deleted iteam" making it apear gone when its really not. it takes a 3rd party utility to fix this he said. I perosnally have not heard of any one with this isssue, but he's my best bud and never lied to me befor.

4. Hes got a 40 gig ipod at the office, but its getts pretty warm so it still needs some work

Thats all he said tonight, we are gonan hang tomorrow so i'll see what else I can get out of him

Opps forgot to add. The AMD rumor is this. Apple is cutting its ties with Moto. And if IBM can't handle the chip production, AMD has agreed tomake any extras they might need to help keep avalibility up. sorry bout that.

Take this as you will. I know most people dontl believe anything posted but oh well. I belive my best bud. And i've never posted anythign bogus here befor. later fellas,
( Last edited by Liquidity X; Nov 23, 2002 at 11:31 PM. )

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 23, 2002, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the info Liquidity X. You have never said anything unwise to my knowledge, and I appreciate this insight to the cool stuff coming from Apple.
Let us know if your friend gives any more juicy bites...

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 11:33 PM

yah we r gonan hit a few back tomorrow night, so maybe he'll slip some more out

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 11:49 PM

Oh yah i almost forgot! There is a 19 inch LCD comign out, and a even larger HD Cinema i the works! and they ARE messinf wit a 19 inch iMac, bu if/when is it'll be released he didn't know.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 23, 2002, 11:50 PM

Did he happen to talk about the after-thanksgiving day party? For an update to products or really good deals?

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2002, 11:54 PM

I'll ask hi tomorrow. Hes gonan get me a new machine at his disscount so i'm happy. The fuxer has a dual 1.25 and the 23 incher. man i hate him.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 23, 2002, 11:56 PM

WOW> Did Apple buy him that hardware? (or did he use the employee discount?)
If he bought it, you don't have to hate him as much, if Apple bought it...I am right there with you.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:06 AM

he bought it, but he gets a HUGE disccount. even more than soem of my other apple buddies who are higher up, but in more software releated areas, hes hardware related. But apples repairing his Ti for free and upgrading the ram becuase of the fan faluir that messed it up in the 1st palce.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:09 AM

LOL oh yah he looked up my name in Apples data base to see what was noted. And theres was a HUGE thing on there about when I called cause something broke on my TAM, and i wouldn't hang up till they fixed it for free. Was still under the 3 year warentte but they tried to tell me it wasn't covered. But I won in the end and got the damn thing fixed. they wanted 300 bucks to fix the little case lock!

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 12:14 AM

Good for you! What is a TAM? A versiont of the Ti?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
Oh yah i almost forgot! There is a 19 inch LCD comign out
my credit card is all revved up and waiting. i've wanted to replace one of my cdt's with an lcd but it seemed like apple's line was just begging for an update...19" widescreen makes sense and if specs/price are there i'm buying.

thx for the info (on all the other stuff too)...will be interesting to watch how this all pans out over time.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:22 AM

LOL TAM = Twentith Anniversay Mac, and i'm so happy no one is flaming this like i expected. maturity is nice for once

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:31 AM

i'm so happy no one is flaming this like i expected.
Well, actually... j/k
Thanks for the intelligence.. Sounds like some cool stuff to look fwd to, if only half of it pans out! I'm looking at moving from this Lombard to a Ti sometime in the next year, so maybe the need to save up a little will actually be a benefit.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 12:47 AM

i'm so happy no one is flaming this like i expected. maturity is nice for once
although, i wonder.....if one of apple's "plumbers" were reading this - is there enough info here to get them thinking it would be pretty easy to put the puzzle together and "fix the leak"
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:51 AM

naw he told me this cuaase there are quite a few peopel who know this info, soi couldn;t be linked to him. I knwo some other stuff i can't post cuase it'll link to him.

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 01:03 AM

I am curious to know exactly what the PDA/Phone-type device is. Can you expand on this? I was confused by your description.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 01:07 AM

Ok from whatI understand, It'll kinda be like a treo, but not ugly and crappy. Image like a Cell phone, that has a big display kinda like the ipod i guess, maybe color, that has al the featres of a PDA, bit looks like a phone not a ugly pda. I'll see if i can get soem more specific details tomorrow when i see him. We just had a short visit tingiht.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 01:08 AM

ok as u can see the spellig has gone VERY down hill cause i'm mad tired. so i'll pos ttomorrow when i see him, now its off to beddy bye. gnight all!

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 01:13 AM

ok as u can see the spellig has gone VERY down hill cause i'm mad tired. so i'll pos ttomorrow when i see him, now its off to beddy bye. gnight all!
Oh. I just assumed you were typing with only one hand. The other hand, uh, holding smuggled out photos of the new equipment.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Guy Incognito
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 01:15 AM

Yeah, your spelling is fkin' terrible at the moment...but all will be forgiven if at least one of those rumors comes out as being true.

I especially like rumors 1 and 2.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 01:25 AM

ok as u can see the spellig has gone VERY down hill cause i'm mad tired.
Sure.
You're drunk and making crap up as you go, any positive reponse means you take another shot.
Hmm, a new drinking game for The Lounge, ,perhaps?
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
Yeah, your spelling is fkin' terrible at the moment...
At the moment? This guy is notorious for incoherent typing.

digdog
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 01:42 AM

Want to know more about upcoming PPC970?

Check here, guys:

IBM_PPC970_MPF2002.pdf

It's very very very...

--
http://www.simdtech.org/apps/group_public/documents.php

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 01:44 AM

Liquidity is trolling. Even he would not sell out his "best bud from back in high school" and post hot rumors, putting hit "best bud" at risk.

Move along.

Y

MojoRising022
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 01:46 AM

I would absolutely love for everything Liquidity said to be true. The PDA thing doesn't add up though.

Jobs has repeatedly said he would not enter the PDA market and that he believes that more advanced cell phones will take it's place in time. A phone is one thing, but the focus will not be on the PDA features. Also, one of the first things Steve Jobs did when he resumed his leadership of Apple was kill Newton. By bringing out a new PDA, he would in effect be saying he was wriong we we know he won't do that.

Woz presenting the device would be out of the question. He is on the Board of Directors of Danger (www.danger.com), who makes the Sidekick/Hiptop. This is a PDA/Phone device itself! Why on Earth would he have any part in presenting a competing product??

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 01:48 AM

LOL TAM = Twentith Anniversay Mac, and i'm so happy no one is flaming this like i expected. maturity is nice for once

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2002, 01:48 AM

You'll forgive me if I don't set aside the money for the Apple cellphone and 40GB iPod just yet. But the quasi-unintelligible quality to your posts does add a bit of credibility.

OpenStep
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 01:57 AM

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by OpenStep:
haha

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 04:26 AM

Dear god. These are nothing but a summery from what the Rumor sites have been saying for the past 6 months.

When did Apple start hiring teenage employee's that don't know what an NDA is?

Woz just released his Danger device and now he is going to launch an Apple iPhone that is better.

OSX Light? OSX 10.2 doesn't even run soothly on a Dual 1.2 GHZ computer and any res lower then 800 x 600, but now Apple has a light version that runs on a phone. Right.

Sorry man, I don't think you are bullshitting us but your friend sure is hell is.

HamSandwich
Nov 24, 2002, 04:54 AM

The thing is, that all this sounds likely and adds up to what the rumor mills turned out during the last months. Besides one thing: Why should Woz be used to introduce a new device? While he will definitely have some press watch him speaking, the keynote or a press event would be well more likelier occasions.
Yet, I don't consider a PDA/cellphone combination from Apple to be unlikely. Apple could just use industry standards - symbian OS - integrate it in a PDA like thing, build a cellphone in it. their design department would make it look amazing.
Steve said, repeatedly, that Apple will not release a PDA, because Apple saw the PDA and cellphone merging. Now, why shouldn't they do such a merged product? I'd buy it.

Steve

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 05:37 AM

Opps forgot to add. The AMD rumor is this. Apple is cutting its ties with Moto. And if IBM can't handle the chip production, AMD has agreed tomake any extras they might need to help keep avalibility up. sorry bout that.
The funny thing is you give us that bull right after this new comes out:

" LAS VEGAS, Nov 19 (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (nyse: AMD - news - people) said on Tuesday that it would embrace a strategy of developing processors for a wider range of products outside computers and called on the industry to focus on user needs rather than creating "technology for technology's sake."

http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2002/...rtr799607.html

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 05:47 AM

Eh. That's awesome if those rumors are true, but the only Apple products I'm interested in are computers (and monitors, etc)... and maybe an iPod...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 09:07 AM

What the heck do you and you "best bud" do that you are home on xmas break already?

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 11:29 AM

that was a typo, I meant thanksgiving. I'm still in college. Last Year. And he took a week off from work. We r both back where we grew up visiting our folks. and he gae me a call out of the blue around 5pm yesterday. It was kool, i didnlt even know he was gonan be around really kool to see him agian,

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Dear god. These are nothing but a summery from what the Rumor sites have been saying for the past 6 months.

When did Apple start hiring teenage employee's that don't know what an NDA is?

Woz just released his Danger device and now he is going to launch an Apple iPhone that is better.

OSX Light? OSX 10.2 doesn't even run soothly on a Dual 1.2 GHZ computer and any res lower then 800 x 600, but now Apple has a light version that runs on a phone. Right.

Sorry man, I don't think you are bullshitting us but your friend sure is hell is.
Obvious you didn't read it. there ISN"T a os x lite. its a just a special OS made for the celli. Which is agenst what everone keeps talking about. and this is what he told me last ngiht. I just thought it would be nice ot share with you guys. not lookign to troll ro what ever the hell u call it.

TC
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 12:37 PM

The phone being linked with Woz sounds totally believable, this is a company he is linked with:

hiptop

The device is a mobile phone, web browser, email client, plays games and the clicnher it is also an AIM chat client! The last one clicnhes it for me since it would link up with iChat.

Current prices with rebates run at about $150 which would make it available to most people.
Nothing to see, move along.

stitzlein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 12:51 PM

1. The new IBM chip is the new apple chip and man is it fast. But we won't see it till around what he thinks will be build 10.5.
2 questions:

when? and when?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 2002, 12:58 PM

The main thing I'm skeptical about is that Apple almost never gives one person access to so many different teams' work. The hardware team generally doesn't know what all the little details of the software team are, and vice versa; of course, in the case of a 970, they'd have to know to make things 64-bit clean, etc, but this still sounds like total baloney. Him having a 40 GB iPod sounds possible, but again, he wouldn't know about it.

And if he wasn't on that team, it's unlikely he'd catch much wind of a PDA, either. That's a fairly big thing that Jos & co would keep as quiet as possible; I don't see them telling every third guy about it, no matter how well the various pieces may add up.

Also, while it seems fairly clear that Apple is going to use the PPC 970 at some point, I'm a little skeptical about how it's "really fast" too. The range is 1.4-1.8 GHz, so presumably it's faster than the 1.25 GHz G4's they have now, but that's no big deal...the chip being 64-bit can't be adding to any speed increases in those test builds, if they even exist.

I dunno, maybe it isn't BS, but the amount that one guy knows is really what makes me doubt the thing. Not like it won't happen anyway, though.

Oh yeah, moving to the Lounge.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

stitzlein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 01:03 PM

true gorgonzola, unless said person was in a department such as marketing, where they converge on many different types of products.

still, i'm skeptical of any apple employee's speed claims since i met an apple cube engineer who glowed about the speed of the public beta on a cube. shah right

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask my bosses at Apple if any of this stuff is true!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2002, 01:30 PM

Rumors are phun

They kinda ruin the keynote surprise though, but I can never wait...

Some of the things LiquidityX has claimed are very likely. Such as a 19" LCD, and even perhaps a 19" iMac. 40Gig iPod is a question of time, and that is well. The IBM chip will be the next gen PPC, that is pretty much given. An apple branded Danger device is possible... although less likely in my mind. I have no idea if there exist any prototypes of the PPC 970, so I can't really comment on that.
More or less LX's friend has got it right, think. How he got that knowledge is beyond me, but I imagine this is just the watercooler stories at the Apple campus.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 02:57 PM

I don't think you guys should say anything until MacWorld SF 2003... and we'll see if Woz intros a new PDA/cell phone. I know he is into this kind of stuff (Woz) so it does seem likely.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 03:16 PM

Obvious you didn't read it. there ISN"T a os x lite. its a just a special OS made for the celli. Which is agenst what everone keeps talking about. and this is what he told me last ngiht. I just thought it would be nice ot share with you guys. not lookign to troll ro what ever the hell u call it.
Obviously I did, but your horrible grammar and spelling is tough enough to crack around these BS rumors.

Again, read this then think about those AMD rumors:
http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2002/...rtr799607.html

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 03:25 PM

I hope they add more to the iPod than just a bigger hard disc... I want audio recording capability and sometype of wireless...either bluetooth or 802.11

I am waiting for the Sony P800 cell phone...it pretty much has every type of pda function you could want anyway...a guy from palm just did and interview and said that if apple is coming out with a pda it is not a palm and he doesn't even think they are coming out with a pda...

personally I would like to see apple come out with a cellphone/watch....you dial on the watch and use a remote bluetooth headset...it could have a scroll wheel on the side and read synched data from the mac...for pda funtions I like having a big screen which is why it is hard to make a cellphone/pda combo that doesn't look stupid when you talk into it...the Sony p800 is closest I have seen...on techtv they showed a prototype cellphone white/silver at the last ces that looked exactly what you would expect an Apple cell to look like but I havent seen the show repeat yet and can't find the prototype on the web but it was the most futuristic appleish looking phone I ever saw....

With the 970 it is pretty obvious apple is going with this chip it is just a matter of when it will be released and how much will systems cost based on it...also ibm said the 970 is one in a line of new processors so what will the others be and how will they fit into apple products...

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Producer:

personally I would like to see apple come out with a cellphone/watch....you dial on the watch and use a remote bluetooth headset...it could have a scroll wheel on the side and read synched data from the mac...for pda funtions I like having a big screen which is why it is hard to make a cellphone/pda combo that doesn't look stupid when you talk into it...
Sorry but that is the cheesiest thing I have ever heard of. Apple would be laughed off the market with something like that.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by yuriwho:
Liquidity is trolling. Even he would not sell out his "best bud from back in high school" and post hot rumors, putting hit "best bud" at risk.

Move along.

Y

yep.

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 04:10 PM

apple mobile phone please.

i think pdas are ok now, but when somebody finally designs a cellphone combo...it's over

i see high school kids have much better phones than myself and my friends. everybody has a phones these days. not evrybody has a pda and not everybody needs the multi function pdas of today. make a simple user friendly contact/schedule program within cellphone software and BAM!� we have a new standard.

Monster pdas will always exist as some people can actually use them but a joe schmo like me who just wants schedule/contacts will gravitate towards a phone combo that is done well. we all know apple can deliver, the question is has it been ordered?

kind of like mp3 players were cool but not going to get anywhere until the ipod came out and showed everybody what a real mp3 player can be
Mark Tungston

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I don't think you guys should say anything until MacWorld SF 2003... and we'll see if Woz intros a new PDA/cell phone. I know he is into this kind of stuff (Woz) so it does seem likely.
Only one problem with that: Woz hasn't worked for Apple for years.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 04:21 PM

what is cheesy about a cellphone watch? I am not saying you speak into the watch...you would have a bluetooth headset...

there are many advantages to having a cellphone watch...

takes up no space in your pocket, when you get a call you can just look at our wrist to find out who is calling you instead of fumbling threw your pockets...dialing would be faster as well since you could either scroll or type in #s without having to find your phone....bluetooth headsets are going to be comon place soon...even at home and work...you will just walk around your house and your watch will phone will automatically connect to you land line or cell signal...

Apple excells at making things smaller than the competion...future watches could add gps, mp3s, camera, cf slot, oled screen...

Someone is going to do it...why not Apple?

Forum Links
Forum Rules