Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook g4 hinge

Ibook g4 hinge
fuji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 09:48 AM

Hi all,

Im due to purchase a new G4 ibook 12", but am worried about the wires breaking in the screen hinge, which I believe has happened to alot of the other G3 ibooks causing screen problems. I know the logic board has been redone for the G4 ibook but what about the insides of the hinge?, does anyone know for sure?

thanks

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:32 AM

I have not seen any issues with the hinge design on the iBooks breaking wires (and portables were my primary support)but the design is the same or at least the same style with it dropping behind the unit

exiva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 02:30 PM

i just baught a g4 iBook on saturday, and i asked the mac genius about that, and he said that the problem doesnt carry over.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 27, 2004, 02:52 PM

There were issues with the hinge and the wires carrying the signal to the screen, but I believe that this was limited to the original Dual USB iBook and the Late 2001 iBook.

Feathers
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 05:43 PM

I have a 32Mb VRAM early 2002 (April) Dual USB iBook that the LVDS cable went about ten days ago. (Less than nine months old). Came back from warranty repair (after three days!) and now it's going back again, this time with screen flickering when dimmed and an appalling woodpecker sound through the speakers (not hard-drive clicking) from boot time.

I think Apple do a "Fight Club" on their dodgy gear balancing the cost of repair of the bad ones against modifying the production line or actually admitting the problem and doing some kind of recall or trade-in deal. Guess who loses!

I think it is legitimate to be concerned!

As for knowing for sure, until the G4 iBooks have been out for about nine months we won't know, unfortunately. At least the white dots on the 15" display showed up quickly!

Spoke to a guy in Apple Tech Support today and he cautiously advised (conversations recorded and all that) to buy either a 12" or 17" Powerbook. That is, he was really saying don't touch the 15"!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules