Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple starts iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program

Apple starts iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 28, 2004, 09:38 PM

See here.

What is the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program?
The iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program is a worldwide program covering repair or replacement of the logic board in specific iBook models manufactured between May 2002 and April 2003 that are experiencing specific component failures.

How does Apple define a "component failure" for this program?
The iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program covers iBooks that have a particular component failure on the logic board, resulting in the computer starting up but the built-in and attached external displays exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms:

Scrambled or distorted video
Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen
Intermittent video image
Video freeze
Computer starts up to blank screen

When does the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program begin?
The program begins on January 28, 2004.

How long is the iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

Hmmm... We called last year for a defective iBook out of warranty and Apple refused to do anything about it. So we bought a new one. And now Apple out-of-the-blue posts a page that says, "Sure, no problem, we'll fix it," 4 weeks later, after we spent $$$$ on the new machine.

This is good news overall though.

Time to get the old one repaired... Anyone want to buy a slightly used iBook?
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 28, 2004 at 10:34 PM. )

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:33 PM

What are the specific "component failures?"

OpenStep
Senior User
Jan 28, 2004, 10:34 PM

all-right!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
What are the specific "component failures?"
Scrambled or distorted video
Appearance of unexpected lines on the screen
Intermittent video image
Video freeze
Computer starts up to blank screen

This is exactly the problem we had.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2004, 10:59 PM

Dammit. I just realized that the iBook 600 with 8 MB video RAM (released Oct. 2001) is NOT covered. WTF?

There are a number of people with the same model that have the same problem. The same applies to older machines too. That iBook form factor was introduced May 2001.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 28, 2004 at 11:22 PM. )

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 01:04 AM

So my serial number is UV228XXXXXX, that's covered right? It says UV220XXXXXX to UV318XXXXXX.
Smells like it to me, I'm pretty jazzed. Think I"ll take it in tomorrow.
Danka, Apple.
jesse ;-)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2004, 03:08 AM

This really is good news. It gives me confidence that Apple has resolved the most troubling issues so that they won't affect the G4 iBooks. Yet, I really can't understand why it has taken Apple so long to take responsibility for the epidemic. They could have handled it far more intelligently. I fear Apple has lost a number of customers due to its intransigence.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 03:23 AM

so what about all us owners outside the UV220XXXXXX to UV318XXXXXX range?

I'm having these display problems too

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Andy8:
so what about all us owners outside the UV220XXXXXX to UV318XXXXXX range?

I'm having these display problems too
Yeah I've had to pay �315UK (~$580) to replace my iBook 500 mobo once before. As you could imagine I'm more than slightly pissed off that they decide that this model is not supported for some reason. I don't think I will ever buy a low-end Apple portable again...

Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 07:54 AM

Very glad about this new progam!! Mine is covered and I have already spent over $700 to have the logic board replaced. I will be calling Apple today for my refund
( Last edited by Rumor Addict; Jan 29, 2004 at 08:02 AM. )
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 11:08 AM

I plan on calling Apple this evening for my wife's iBook that falls EXACTLY under these parameters...awesome! Perfect timing.

Anybody know if I can also take it to my local Apple Store to faciliate the repair?

winCEman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 12:52 PM

Great news (for some of us at least)!!! This would help your "old" iBook retain a high resale value!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 03:44 PM

Mine is within the serial numbers, but I have experienced the problem only ONCE when I connected an external monitor. Would you guys send yours if this happened to you? or this program is only for already screwed up video Ibooks?

thanks

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by polendo:
Mine is within the serial numbers, but I have experienced the problem only ONCE when I connected an external monitor. Would you guys send yours if this happened to you? or this program is only for already screwed up video Ibooks?

thanks
Is the problem repeatable? If so, I'd send it in.

And it's "iBooks," not "Ibooks."

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 04:19 PM

My sister's iBook (s/n: UV2451XXXXX) falls in the range of the repair program. Meanwhile, I didn't hear any complaint from her.

iBook spec:
iBook 800Mhz/640MB of RAM/stock 30GB HD
12.1" screen/Radeon 7500 32MB VRAM/Combo.

Should I contact Apple or bring it for the evaluation?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2004, 07:21 PM

Just got off the phone with Apple...boy was that easy. I basically gave them the serial # and told them what's already written on the FAQ page of symptoms and was off in a few short minutes...box on it's way...

Thanks Apple!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 11:44 PM

Mmm....getting $200 back.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 12:09 AM

for those of you who are wondering if you should just have it done if you fall into the serial range....I would only do it IF you are having the issue as not all iBooks are effected. I have a 16VRAM that is in that serial range and have never had a problem with it...I work with people that for the most part haven't had the issue either but a couple have...I would just take advantage of it if you have the issue...as for the comps that are outside of the serial range it is probably do to the series computer as they start at the 16VRAM and go through the 32VRAM which all had the same basic design and is different than the Late 2001 or Dual USB series

strokemouth
Jan 30, 2004, 02:02 AM

I was very excited to read this on apple.slashdot. When I purchased my iBook (covered in the serial range), I didn't get AppleCare right away (poor college kid). When I experienced the logic board failure, a mere week before my 1 year warranty was up, I was mistakenly told that I could buy AppleCare at anytime...it would just cover up to 3 years from purchase price.

Then I find out that you can only buy AppleCare within the first year. Boy, was I pissed. I was so nervous that my logic board was going to go again, but now it's like free AppleCare for the logic board! I'm very glad to see Apple taking responsibility for errors.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 03:30 AM

I bought 3 dual USB ibooks. 2 died after 1 year. Both sitting under my bed. It is not covered because they are too old. These were the initial release of the dual usb ibook.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 10:08 AM

I bought my iBook referbished, so its serial number starts with RM, rather than UV... So I wonder if that means referbs aren't covered... The other observation is that the rest of the digits seem to fit their scheme, and I'm RM346XXXXXX.. does this mean they solved the problem before my iBook was manufactured? (program ends at UV318XXXXXX)...

Oh yeah, and does anybody want to buy an unopened iBook AppleCare?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 11:00 AM

I think I rather call Apple and find out myself what is the best for the Ibooks that fall into that range.

My only question is if they have FIXED the design problem or they are just putting new or refurbished boards in there from now and the next 3 years. One thing is to identify and another to fix it. Some curious guy has to open the repaired Ibook sooner than later.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 08:20 PM

it's great timing for me too, since my warranty expires feb. 13, and now i don't have to think about applecare. whew . already had one logic board repair last april.

geekstud
Feb 4, 2004, 01:34 PM

I'm one of the owners of a 600 MHz model from before the listed range of serial numbers that has been hosed by Apple. My iBook has been unusable for over six months due to the video/motherboard problem. I'm calling Apple to register my complaint, and everyone else that is affected by this overly selective recall should do so as well.

Cheers,

-Nathan

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2004, 12:12 AM

I will have my iBook back from Apple either tomorrow or Friday hopefully...

tae667
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2004, 01:53 PM

My iBook came from repair today, I waited "only" little over one month. Now I get kernel panics all the time, for example when I'm trying to install iLife 04.

When I try to run Hardware Test CD, it crashes(I've done it 4 times). This is ridicilous, because I'll probably have to wait another month for next logic board.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 05:43 PM

I think I'm not sending mine to Apple. If it fries, so be it (not spending on Applecare either), and will buy a Toshiba.

It doesn't matter that they fix it for free after warrantly only.. it matters that the darn thing is reliable and obviously it hasn't been the case.

good luck guys

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 03:38 PM

Absolutely zero complaints about the program here...

Apple collected the box on Tuesday and sent it back good as new on Friday! (They even replaced my our-of-warranty broken keyboard).

Thankyou Apple.

- N
I no longer have a signature.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2004, 01:22 PM

Received and working perfectly...

Thanks Apple!

Forum Links
Forum Rules