Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BellSouth sticks it to Mac users; Return the favor?!?

BellSouth sticks it to Mac users; Return the favor?!?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 04:50 PM

So I'm trying to help daughter get set up with high speed access, and I go to BellSouth web site and try to find out if DSL is available at the address she's moving to. Entering the address and clicking "submit" causes me to be informed that my browser is not supported and that I need to use MS IE 5.5 or greater.
Yes, I could use something to trick them into thinking Safari is IE, but I had a better plan:

DUMP BellSouth. Go with CABLE.

I waited through Phone-menu hell to tell two different places at BellSouth WHY I declined their service. Then I went back and found their "Feedback" spot on their web site and told them how much I love them:
JPEG of Complaint Form

If any of you are in BS's district you might want to visit them ( https://www.bellsouth.com/apps/rnr/o...?action=launch ) occasionally and let them know they are not winning customers among Mac users.

It may not do much, but I think Mac users should be vocal about this short-sighted abuse by major corporations. What do you folks think.

Oh, and I remembered to say "Happy Holidays" when I complained.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

Sadly, They probably couldn't care less. Losing 1000 people for every hundred thousand (I made up that ratio, but the idea is the same) is a drop in the bucket. They already have a site up, and they don't want to pay another designer to do it again.

I hate corporation's crap like that too. As a Freelance Webdesigner, I have to deal with trying to make IE display things the way I want when every other major browser functions fine. MS is just lazy about standards, and They've pulled the rest of the world down with them.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 05:15 PM

Firefox works that link in a cinch.

I wish Safari was more widely accepted, but it's less about Macs than it is about IT departments who figure they'll be inundated with support calls because they didn't check the standards on anything but IE.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 05:18 PM

I'll tell you what... I handle our corporate account of a few PRI's, Frames and a T1 that used to be with Bell South, but we switched to AT&T and NuVox. That's a few thousand dollar a month account. Next time they call and ask if they can get our business back, I'll tell them we switched because they didn't support web standards on their website.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 05:26 PM

Oh no they probably DO care. One disgruntled customer is actually worth a hell of a lot when it comes to word-of-mouth. Especially one who knows how to post on a forum like this. Corporations do anything to stem bad publicity.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Oh no they probably DO care. One disgruntled customer is actually worth a hell of a lot when it comes to word-of-mouth. Especially one who knows how to post on a forum like this. Corporations do anything to stem bad publicity.
I disagree. Good companies, like HP, care about what customers thing. Phone companies, don't give a hoot. Everyone hates them already.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 06:52 PM

Are they really sticking it to mac users though? Anyone who knows anything about computers probably doesn't use ie anyway, even for windows.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2005, 07:05 PM

Bell South simply doesn't think about it. Southwestern Bell used to have similar issues, but they had the error of their ways pointed out to them and they corrected their web sites. Letting Bell South know that their pages are not accessible to some potential customers will tell them what they need to do to get more customers, and that's important to them. But you can't just complain. You have to go as high up as possible.
Shareholders and other interested parties who wish to communicate with the Company’s non-management directors may direct correspondence to a particular director, or to the non-management directors as a group, by e-mail at [email protected] or by addressing written correspondence to the Office of the Corporate Secretary, BellSouth Corporation, Suite 19A01, 1155 Peachtree Street, N.E., Atlanta, GA 30309-3610.
Letting the board of directors know that there's something wrong is a good way to start.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

NOT TRUE.

Sorry, we use Bellsouth DSL and it works just fine with Safari and I just went to their site here and it works just fine for testing.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 08:00 PM

Well their fastaccess.com may not refuse Safari, but the link (to their package deals (phone + cell + DSL)) as referenced above does.

Which raises the greater puzzle: if they have folks that can write code thats universal, why do they let the others limp along in the 20th century?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 08:05 PM

Every link you give me works with Safari!

What link, specifically, does not work?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
I waited through Phone-menu hell to tell two different places at BellSouth WHY I declined their service. Then I went back and found their "Feedback" spot on their web site and told them how much I love them:
JPEG of Complaint Form
On your complaint form you note that Mac users are 'Well-Healed'... perhaps you meant 'Well Heeled'. Well Healed makes all of us sound like we are recovering from some affliction!
( Last edited by Rev-O; Dec 14, 2005 at 11:35 PM. )
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 09:19 PM

I don't mean to be an ass about this, but spell checking complaints before sending them is always a good idea. Well-healed is not a word.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 10:04 PM

I'm still waiting for the link that doesn't work?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I'm still waiting for the link that doesn't work?

I believe this is what is being referred to...

meelk
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 07:36 AM

whine more. should have just used firefox and moved along. mac users occupy a niche market. regardless of how things "should" be, and what standards are, you should expect this kind of thing. get over it.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 08:47 AM

Apologies... about the typo when I lodged the complaint.
...and for omitting the original link:

http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/new_customer.html

If you've got BS DSL try clicking on "New to BellSouth.
On next page, for "Service Builder" option, click START.
It'll ask for your address. When do and click on ENTER, you'll get the objection.

Interestingly, when you click OK to the objection you'll see the page displayed... and, Yes indeed, its display it totally botched.

macsfromnowon
Dec 15, 2005, 09:18 AM

Yeah... I get the same look that KeriVit shows.

With IE Mac 5.2 It also complains that "Your browser version is not support", but then at least the next page displays properly.

macsfromnowon
Dec 15, 2005, 09:24 AM

CORRECTION: It almost displays right. Most of page shows. Then it seems to hang.
(in Mac IE)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
mac users occupy a niche market. regardless of how things "should" be, and what standards are, you should expect this kind of thing. get over it.
Um, no.

We do expect that kind of thing, but if we just accepted it then NOTHING would be compatible with the Macintosh.

So we will continue to complain.

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 09:45 AM

Well, they've got several types of weird (careless) coding...
If I put my address in their and use "Road" instead of "Rd", it's says the address doesn't exist.

macsfromnowon
Dec 15, 2005, 01:04 PM

You know, FireFox for Mac gets the warning... but then goes on to display the page perfectly fine.

Makes me wonder about if it's really a Safari problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules