Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best GPU for a Dual 2.7Ghz G5?

Best GPU for a Dual 2.7Ghz G5?
tillin
May 31, 2006, 06:40 PM

So my tower came with the somewhat humble Radeon 9650, i mean dont get me wrong, it works fine, plays games like doom3 and quake 4 fine, but should i desire ( or require ) and upgrade, what would be my best solution?

I dont have a 30" cinema or anything, and i doubt i will during the time i own this computer, but i do have a 23" cinema, and a 24" dell 2405 ( however they are in two different locations ( home and work ) im still a bit foreign when it comes to graphics cards, i never really put much thought into them, but seeing the fact that the middle ground G5 of today can best yesterdays beast ( my dual 2.7) in games performance, something clearly needs to be done! lol.

any insight is always greatly appreciated,

thanks!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 06:47 PM

If you want to upgrade, OWC has the X800 which is what you want.

Forum Regular
May 31, 2006, 07:39 PM

I'd say 6800 ultra or X850. I have the 6800 so I'm a little biased but I play UT2K4 on full (1920x1080 res) with miminum fps of 25 on huge onslaught games, usually about 80 on CTF maps.

tillin  (op)
Jun 1, 2006, 01:04 AM

i still cant get UT2k4 to install ever since i got tiger.

yes i know about the updated installer, but that still doesnt even work.

so the X850 huh? ot the nvidia... hmmm

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 10:00 AM

The X850 and 6800 series aren't available retail IIRC, but since the X850 is basically an overclocked X800, you won't see much of a difference there.

Only the X800 is available retail, and it's not a slouch, either.

AGP is quickly becoming obsolete, though, especially on the Mac side. If you really want to have the latest technology, I'd wait till the Intel towers come out, and hopefully there'll be a chance of using PC video cards in them.

Also, the next generation of cards (DirectX 10) are about to come out, so if you're interested in games, I'd wait to pick up an Intel Mac and next-gen video card while you're at it, and you'll also get the bonus of playing Windows games natively.

tillin  (op)
Jun 2, 2006, 10:59 AM

i dont plan on upgrading my G5 anytime soon, i only got it in january. and considering the price i paid, i deemed it to be worthwile, since i needed the capabilities of this computer now.

i got the whole thing ( including my addt'l 6GB of ram, and my 23" cinema display ) for less than $3100 from apple.

i dont need the latest and the greatest ( notice i didnt buy the quad or the DC 2.3 ) so the x800 sounds like a good card to me.

would i just directly replace the radeon 9650 then if i got the x800?

Forum Links
Forum Rules