Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Core2Duo Ram query

MBP Core2Duo Ram query
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 09:05 AM

New macbok pros • Memory up to 3GB! anyone know what sort of ram is optimal?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 09:41 AM

DDR2 667 Mhz SO-DIMMs. The lower the latency the better.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 10:05 AM

thanks for the reply.crucial doesn't have it on their website yet as far as I can see. Is this the same as the previous Mac Book Pros?

15" comes with 1GB (single SO-DIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MH 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
two SO-DIMM slots support up to 3GB

single 2gb modules are super expensive!
( Last edited by DevNine; Oct 24, 2006 at 10:12 AM. )

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 10:28 AM

It is the same stuff as before as crucial does have it as of the last time I looked like a month ago.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 10:52 AM

thanks for clarifing this.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 11:00 AM

I find it odd why it only supports 3GB and not 4. There is no hardware limitation of 4GB, or indeed there shouldnt be
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh View Post
I find it odd why it only supports 3GB and not 4. There is no hardware limitation of 4GB, or indeed there shouldnt be
They would probably ask something like $1500 dollars for it. Maybe they didn't want to option something that no one would buy? It seems like 3GB would be a rare option, especially considering the price.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 12:17 PM

RAMJET has 2GB RAM sticks at $269 each, so it would not actually be prohibitively expensive (as long as you're not ordering through Apple that is). But since the 24" iMac has the same RAM specs, I fear there is actually something to this strange 3GB limit.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
RAMJET has 2GB RAM sticks at $269 each, so it would not actually be prohibitively expensive (as long as you're not ordering through Apple that is). But since the 24" iMac has the same RAM specs, I fear there is actually something to this strange 3GB limit.
I really doubt there is a 3GB limit. Apple just charges waaaaaaaaaay too much for RAM. These are 64-bit machines. I m willing to bet that they will take whatever density that is manufactured for the slot. The Core Duos from before, I suspect will have a limit of 4GB.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 12:46 PM

No, I think it's likely that - like the iMac - there is a fixed 3GB limit, because the upper 1GB addressing space is reserved for PCI etc. It's a limitation of 32-bit x86 architecture. What I'm guessing then is that although the Core2Duo is true 64-bit, Apple's choice of chipset may not be. Anyone care to clarify?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh View Post
It happens.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by firefly View Post
No, I think it's likely that - like the iMac - there is a fixed 3GB limit, because the upper 1GB addressing space is reserved for PCI etc. It's a limitation of 32-bit x86 architecture. What I'm guessing then is that although the Core2Duo is true 64-bit, Apple's choice of chipset may not be. Anyone care to clarify?
Apple's choice of chipset is Intel, if I am not mistaken.

spacecadet610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 05:22 PM

Actually RAMJET 2 gb sticks are $675 each. For $269 you 2 1 GB sticks. big difference

Originally Posted by workerbee View Post

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:14 PM

The chipset is the same as the previous MBP, 945PM from Intel. 945PM supports up to 4GB RAM at 667Mhz, however their is some cruftyness due to the way PCIe addressing space is handled, so the maximum usable capacity is 2 or 3GB depending on firmware revision.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by spacecadet610 View Post
Actually RAMJET 2 gb sticks are $675 each. For $269 you 2 1 GB sticks. big difference
My bad, thanks for clearing that up. Suddenly (and unfortunately) Apple pricing doesn't look so outrageous anymore.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 03:56 AM

I posted this in the new MBP thread, but since the topic has come up again here, I'll double-post.

There's a lot of misinformation being spread about the 3GB RAM limit. Here are some facts:

• the 3GB RAM limit is not a physical limit, it's a chipset limitation
• you can insert 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) just like you can on any PC notebook using the same chipset
• if you actually install 4 GB you will notice that only <3.2 GB are available to the OS and apps
• Apple knows that and hence they don't offer more than 3GB upgrades because it's a plain waste of money
• PC manufacturers know it as well, but some don't seem to give a damn

To make it short, you can insert 4 GB if you want. But if you actually want to use the full 4 GB you will have to wait until Intel releases the Santa Rosa chipset in 2007.

Additional info and some good links in this post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules