Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube Radeon Fan replacement

Cube Radeon Fan replacement
Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 05:36 PM

Who knows where to get a replacement fan for the Radeon in the Cube?
My wife's is making a hideous noise and needs replaced.
Should I contact ATI, Apple, someone else?
Thanks!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

deharlow
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2001, 08:01 PM

Call Apple if the card came with the computer, otherwise call the vendor. If you are lucky they will just send you the part to replace if not you might have to take it in to be repaired.

Daniel

hagemabs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 04:25 PM

Not that i'd recommend it for all, but when I got my "fanless and silent" cube with the Radeon and heard that incredibly noisy fan running, I decided to try to unplug it and see how the temperatures in the Cube were affected. Using software that read the cpu temp, I saw very little difference in heat generated. It was simple to just unplug the power to the videocard fan. The cube has been running amost constantly 24/7 since August with no unusual problems. I occassionally will play a game or 2 which I'd imagine hits the video CPU pretty heavy (Quake, Oni, or Tony Hawk) and it works fine.

Another idea would be to try a computer supply store like MicroCenter or something that sells parts. At my local one, they sold something like 20-30 different fans for CPU's and powersupplies, so maybe if you take in the old one with you, you can find a replacement part.

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by hagemabs:
<STRONG>Not that i'd recommend it for all, but when I got my "fanless and silent" cube with the Radeon and heard that incredibly noisy fan running, I decided to try to unplug it and see how the temperatures in the Cube were affected. Using software that read the cpu temp, I saw very little difference in heat generated.</STRONG>
That's because the cpu is at the center of the Cube and that's where the temperature is sensed. But the heat from your Radeon card is at the very back wall of the Cube. And those 2 areas are separated by a full sized PCB which insulates the 2 areas. Not to mention the Radeon card itself as it's fan/heat sink is on the opposite side from the main PCB and the cpu daughtercard where the temperature is sensed.

But you might want to consider plugging that fan back in. Take a look at the Cube/Radeon comments over at xlr8yourmac.com for more info. &lt;hint - artifacts, break down, etc&gt; In your case, you've likely avoided the problem since you only run 3D games on rare occasion. But if the Radeon fan bugs you that much and you hardly bother with 3D, why not swap it out for a truly silent card like the fanless OEM Rage 128Pro? No, I'm not interested. The fan on my OEM Radeon (500Mhz Cube) doesn't bother me. And it kicks ass with 3D games But there are sure to be Cube owners on eBay that would be happy to pay you big $ for your Radeon - and maybe even throw in their OEM Rage 128 for free! ........joe

Kristoff  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2002, 02:24 AM

I'll give you $15 for your fan.
Just unscrew it with the four screws, unplug it, and stick it in a bubble-wrap envelope.
If you want $15 for something you don't even use, let me know!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2002, 10:17 AM

Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

<Maekasu>
Jan 3, 2002, 10:42 PM

hi...

Please see...PowerCube..

I'm not English speaker..I'm sorry..

I want to know............Fan..

I use Cube 450..

I will upgragde..with Radeon..

But..I don't know Where Buy to it..

Where is shop(internet shop) ..OutPost.com ?

Please..Let me know..

this is question 1..

question2..

When I get Radeon, Is Fan needed ?

I want to use Silence Cube..

Please let me know...

qfdguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 11:05 PM

My fan failed in about six months, and Apple replaced it under warranty. Then it failed again in another six months, just two weeks after the warranty expired. Apple wouldn't sell the part to my licensed Apple tech, and they wanted nearly $500 to sell me an entire board. I unplugged the fan three or four months ago. I have had no problems yet. I regret buying the damn card in the first place. Apparently some models of the card have a heat sink instead of that horrible little fan.

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2002, 11:53 PM

www.2cooltek.com
get a video cooler of some sort
they sell heat sinks and fans for ati stuff check out the store... this should be what you need.
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

Forum Links
Forum Rules