Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The Official Time Machine Q&A Thread

The Official Time Machine Q&A Thread (Page 5)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 04:40 PM

Will it cause the whole drive to have to be rescanned?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 04:51 PM

Will what cause the whole drive to have to be rescanned? What are you planning to do?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 05:29 PM

Booting into Target Disk Mode.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2008, 05:53 PM

Is the question "Will connecting a G5 (via TDM) to an existing computer that TM backs up every hour cause TM to backup the entire G5's HD?"

I believe the answer is no; however, even if TM started to backup the G5, you could immedaitely go to System Preferences>TM and add the G5's HD as a location for TM to ignore.

QS

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Booting into Target Disk Mode.
What are you planning to do while in Target Disk Mode? Do you intend to use the computer as a Time Machine backup? Are you planning to do something else to it? What are you trying to do?

If all you're planning to do is start it up in Target Disk Mode, then turn it off and reboot normally, then no, that won't trash your backup.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 05:58 PM

Yeah, Migration Assistant for a new MBP. (Yeah, yeah, don't start with me guys!)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 06:22 PM

So what you're asking is that if you boot your G5 into TDM to migrate it to a MBP, whether that will mess up your backup of the G5. Am I correct?

If I'm understanding the question correctly, my answer would be that no, you don't have to worry about that. If you like, you could also just connect the Time Machine drive directly to the MBP and restore from that instead. This will also not mess up the backup at all.

Either way, use a FW800 cable if you can, because the Migration Assistant tends to take a while to finish, and a little extra speed never hurts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 08:44 PM

Thank you for the info, Charles.

goldenopt1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2008, 04:14 PM

I just purchase a Western Digital MyBook Home Edition 1TB external drive and I get an failed error on backup because it says:
Time Machine Error

The backup volume is not in Mac S Extended (Journaled) format, which is required.

Can some on tell me how I go about changing the format to Mac S Extended(Journaled) so this will work.

My computer is new and its a iMac "24".

The external hard time is for a PC and Mac and its should plug and play according to the reviews but I am getting this error for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated. Also I am new to Mac platform. Have always used a PC before.

Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2008, 04:20 PM

Use Disk Utility (located in Applications> Utilities) to reformat the drive. Select it in the sidebar, choose the Erase tab and make sure the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2008, 04:30 PM

You will need third-party software to get Windows to be able to deal with the HFS+ formatted drive.

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility > select your 1TB drive > select the Erase tab > choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) > click Erase...

goldenopt1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks, its running now.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2008, 04:17 AM

Anyone have any luck restoring an entire system from a remote backup not made to a Time Capsule?

I'm not sure if it's because the original is within a few GBs of being full or some other reason, but I get a generic error that the remote disk image could not be opened. Even though I feel my server daemons are hosed after an archive & install, I'm a little skittish about scrapping the system and starting fresh. I spent a lot of late nights getting things to work and I'd rather not have to learn how to fumble through it all over again.

edit: Well, I seem to have had some luck myself. I only tried setting permissions in the Finder to let others write and still no dice. So then I nuked permissions from orbit with chmod and voilà, it opened. Now 5 hours later it still says 12 hours to go. Damn. Took a helluva long time to determine disk space requirements as well.

edit again: That last attempt didn't actually work. It looked like it did, but it wouldn't boot. Here I've been lugging a WD MyBook with an empty partition on it to and from work for months. Oh snap! I went ahead and used it with Disk Utilities restore function. That worked like a charm and in a mere fraction of the time. The only thing missing was /var/spool/postfix.

Too bad Time Machine decided it needed to do a full backup after that. :|

So my advice is go ahead and backup to another Mac, but be prepared to have to use an external to restore from.
( Last edited by zro; Dec 6, 2008 at 01:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules