Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Panels without Multiple Users

Panels without Multiple Users
hagop
Nov 20, 1999, 10:12 PM

I really like the "Panels" interface that you get when you activate it via Multiple Users. I'm setting up an iMac for a computer newbie, and I'd like to provide Panels as the primary interface. But I've been having problems with the restricted Multiple Users feature (namely, I can't get it to print to an NEC SuperScript 870 laser printer), and since I don't need Multiple Users (since there will be only one user for that computer), I'm looking into the possibility of setting up the Panels interface WITHOUT activating Multiple Users.

I noticed there was a "Panels" item in the System Folder. I changed the type of it (using ResEdit) to make it into an application, and sure enough, it worked.

HOWEVER, it only displays panels for the hard drives, whereas I'd like it to display "Items" and "Documents" panels as it does when Multiple Users is activated.

Is there any way to modify what "panels" the Panels program displays? Or better yet, is there some alternative to Panels? The closest alternative is using the tabbed "Pop-Up Window" feature of Finder, but this isn't nearly as nice/user-friendly as the Panels interface (in particular, the user might inadvertantly "un-tab" a tabbed window).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 1999, 09:39 PM

There is a Program called greg's browser which does something similar to the Panels. Download it and check it out. You can find it at http://www.kaleidoscope.net/greg/ Hope this helps
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

hagop
Nov 22, 1999, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the tip, typoon. But I'm looking for something much more basic than that, to be used by someone for whom the Finder is too difficult/complex to use.

-Hagop

WickedDyno
Nov 23, 1999, 01:20 AM

Rename the Panels application to Finder and remove the normal finder from the system folder.

Make sure you have a Mac OS 9 CD around in case you need to do tech support for him.

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

hagop
Nov 23, 1999, 01:33 AM

Tried that too. My system refused to boot.

But I am able to have both Panels and Finder run simultaneously... that's not a problem... it's just that when Panels runs in non-Multiple User mode, it defaults to displaying a single panel of the hard drive. I want to be able to customize what information it displays.

-Hagop

Forum Links
Forum Rules