Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sherlock 2 Woes

Sherlock 2 Woes
ZooTV
Nov 13, 1999, 06:14 PM

A major problem i've been having. I've been trying to index items with the label "Cool", and i set the preferences accordingly. I go to index the volume for the "Cool" itmes, and it satrts up just fine, and it's telling me the items it's indexing, all are labeled "cool." but then it suddenly stops with 25 mins to go, and the index size is 104k. I search for a specific word i know is in these documents, and it returns nothing. I have increased Sherlock's memory, and this happened with Shelock 1 aswell. By the way these are text clipping files with colors (from AOL IM), dont know if that has anything to do with it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 1999, 07:02 PM

OK, my understanding is that the labels colors and names are part of/kept in the System suitcase file (see: http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60670 )

Have you done any ResEdit hacks to your suitcase? That could affect things perhaps.

If not, then I suspect your System suitcase is corrupted somewhat. You can check it for damage by using TechTool 1.1.9 (it's FREE), you click on the 'System' button in the TechTool application window, it will NOT recognise ResEdit hacks as legit and will report your System suitcase file damaged if there are any hacks present. BUT, if you know for sure that you have NOT hacked this suitcase file and TechTool reports damage, then it is certainly corrupted.

It would not be a good idea to go to your CD and simply drag and drop the System suitcase file from the CD to your HD... the suitcase is modified during the installation of MacOS (etc) and therefore the System suitcase file residing on your CD is not a valid replacement for the corrupted one.

A clean install is indicated for replacement of System suitcase UNLESS you have an exact backup copy.

Of course, it might not be your System suitcase, and you might decide to leave well enough alone...

I'd also try deleting any Sherlock Pref's files and it could not hurt to delete the Finder Pref's as well

oh yes, get TechTool 1.1.9 (compatible with OS 9 and older) here: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/Hype...h-tool-119.hqx

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 11-13-1999).]

ZooTV  (op)
Nov 13, 1999, 07:14 PM

I haven't done any ResEdit hacks etc. I know my systems is fine because i checked it all with Tech Tool Pro 2.5.2. I'm thinking it's an extension conflict...i'll try turning virex off and see what happens.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 1999, 07:24 PM

if you are using Virex 6, you should disable the Virex Scheduler extension, and since you are using OS 9 you should download the beta Virex control panel: http://www.nai.com/beta/tvdbeta/virex/

ZooTV  (op)
Nov 13, 1999, 08:30 PM

yeah i have the new virex. I tryed disabling all extensions except for the mac OS 9 all set, it didn't help. One thing though, when i try indexing the entire hard drive, it'll be fine, maybe it's a problem with text clippings.

WickedDyno
Nov 14, 1999, 12:37 AM

Try deleting your index and building a new one?

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules