Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How many hours a week do you work?

View Poll Results: How many hours do you put in a week?
Poll Options:
I have a trundle bed and kitchenette in my cubicle 10 votes (18.52%)
Between 40 and 50 hours a week 37 votes (68.52%)
Between 20 and 30 hours a week 7 votes (12.96%)
Mum serves meatloaf at 11, just in time for Oprah 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
How many hours a week do you work? (Page 2)
kupan787
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 07:43 PM

Just got done working 60 a week (lasted for 2 months). Hours sucked, but pay checks were nice.

My "normal" schedule is pretty sweet:

Monday: 6 hours
Tuesday-Thursday: 10 hours
Friday: 4 hours

That is all salaried. Anything over is paid out as OT. But hours i'm at the office and hours per week I work are two very different things.

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 9, 2008, 07:50 PM

Not sure about what I'll actually be doing at my new job, but I can tell you for my old one, depending on the season anywhere from 34 to 60 hrs/wk!
What, me worry?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
40. Anything more is paid overtime.
Ditto...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 09:58 AM

I did a 72 hour stint behind a bar once. The bar was closed for one hour each of the three days to clean up the mess. And yes, I did take some illegal substances during the stint, I wasn't actually able to sleep for a few hours after finishing. Two other guys did the same thing. The girl that was with us didn't last the three days.

Paid for a new stereo and my halls fees for a couple of weeks with what I earned in salary and tips.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 12:01 PM

This prompted me to add it all up again. In an average week:

Monday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-9:30PM (12h total)
Tuesday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-8:00PM (10.5h total)
Wednesday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-9:30PM (12h total)
Thursday: 8:00AM-5:00PM (9h)
Friday: 8:00AM-5:00PM (9h)
Saturday: Free, except for weekends with photo shoots.
Sunday: 8:00AM-12:00PM, 3:00PM-9:00PM (11h total)

So...63.5 hours a week? This week I can add on an additional 5 hours for 2 photo sessions and another 10-15 hours editing those pictures, but that will spill into next week.

The church schedule used to be more, but I asked to drop two of my "responsibilities" so that I could have a home life. During the school semesters, they generally allow me to lop off two hours a day for classes (the rest I do online), and that brings it back to about 54 hours a week.

And just for pity's sake, I probably make less than 95% of the others in this thread.
And yes, I'm smart enough to realize I'm not getting any pity.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'm sure I'll regret asking this, but what needs to be done at a church that requires 12 hours of a day? (Especially if, I'm guessing, you're not the only one there)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I've done my share of 72 and 84 hour weeks. (6 or 7 12-hour days) Now we don't get OT so I get 40. Being in the auto industry mainly supplying the truck and SUV sectors I'm just lucky to still have a job.
I heard GM is cancelling the Hummer line and introducing a new compact car. Truth?

My brother's worked a 90-hour week when they introduced a new line not that long ago. From what he tells me, the automotive industry isn't something I'd ever even think about getting into.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, you'll regret asking...

Mondays are filled with post-service analysis, new ideas for media work for the coming week, prep for Wednesday night youth services, and more. Monday evenings are family life center night, which requires an employee to be there to make sure no one kills each other (or if they do, call the cops). I also have to lock up/alarm the building. It's not a big deal, but it keeps you away from home.

Tuesdays are pretty much the same as Mondays. A lot of preparation for Wednesday, shooting/editing media for both Wednesdays and Sundays, etc. Tuesday evenings are taken up by opening up, attending, and locking up for non-employee preparations (worship leaders, musicians, etc.). Wednesdays are all-day preps for youth services.

Thursdays and Fridays are slower because it's mostly taken up by media preparations for Sunday mornings, when I usually run the media software and don't have to speak. Sunday evenings, however, are filled with preparation for leading worship or singing backup for evening services.

50% of what I do is related to my youth services...activity planning, constant contact, and youth-related media. 30% of what I do is general church media/advertising, and the other 20% is miscellaneous stuff, like building scaffoldings and lowering chandeliers, which is what I was at the church doing until 9:00 last night.

Since we're a fairly large church, they have no problem finding stuff for me to do. My posts in this thread have now taken up too much space, and I'll talk about myself no longer.

Is there anyone here working 80+ a week?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 12:46 PM

I don't think I had grasp on the significant size of your church.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 11, 2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This prompted me to add it all up again. In an average week:

Monday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-9:30PM (12h total)
Tuesday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-8:00PM (10.5h total)
Wednesday: 8:00AM-5:00PM, 6:30PM-9:30PM (12h total)
Thursday: 8:00AM-5:00PM (9h)
Friday: 8:00AM-5:00PM (9h)
Saturday: Free, except for weekends with photo shoots.
Sunday: 8:00AM-12:00PM, 3:00PM-9:00PM (11h total)

So...63.5 hours a week? This week I can add on an additional 5 hours for 2 photo sessions and another 10-15 hours editing those pictures, but that will spill into next week.

[/COLOR]
I hope you love what you are doing.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I hope you love what you are doing.
He's doing work for God. Don't you love God?
(half-joking)

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 11, 2008, 01:26 PM

Not even God could make me work 68 hours a week.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 01:28 PM

Not even God could make me work 68 hours a week.
If I were you, I'd get an umbrella. The forecast calls for it to rain frogs in your living room.
Completely joking

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah, it's "God work," and as our pastor always says, "God has put us in the people business."

It makes it all worth it when you see someone come to church, turn their life around, break drug addictions, and become a happier, healthier, fulfilled person. It also makes it worth it when you see how much they appreciate you being at the hospital with them when a family member is sick or dying.

Yeah, I do love my job. We have to deal with the best and the worst in people, but I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 11, 2008, 02:03 PM

Sweet. If I'm in the living room, then I'm not at work.

But seriously, it all depends on whether you like what you're doing. If I was getting paid to do what I love, I'd want to work more than 68 hours a week. But since I have a "day job", the very thought makes my heart go down into my boots.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I wonder if people would change their college majors if the potential salaries of pursuing a certain field were no different than any other.
I'd love to see what people would do if there was no "Business" major.

Edit: I need your clothes, boots, and motorcycle.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 02:13 PM

But seriously, it all depends on whether you like what you're doing. If I was getting paid to do what I love, I'd want to work more than 68 hours a week. But since I have a "day job", the very thought makes my heart go down into my boots.
Definitely. I know people who work 70+ hours a week, get paid huge salaries, and are absolutely miserable because they hate their jobs. I'd rather get paid an average wage doing something I love.

I wonder if people would change their college majors if the potential salaries of pursuing a certain field were no different than any other.

Forum Links
Forum Rules