Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems with Macbook Screen - flickering, brightness

Problems with Macbook Screen - flickering, brightness
Phil333
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2008, 11:11 AM

Hi everyone. I have a Macbook that is two years old running the newest version of OS X. All of a sudden today I started having issues with my screen. First, when I woke it from sleep it was as dim as possible and I could not get it brighter by changing the brightness. When I restarted the computer everything was fine. Now though, the screen is flickering and sort of changing brightness a little bit every few seconds. Then it will stop for a minute and start flickering a bit. Is there anything I can do besides taking it to the Genius Bar? I just started graduate school and it would be a major inconvenience to be without the computer for a week or more.

Thanks!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 11:29 AM

Sounds like the back light is going south and the only option you have is to get the display panel replaced. If you have apple care, it will be covered, otherwise you'll be on the hook for a very expensive repair.

Either way, you'll have to do without the computer for a couple of weeks.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2008, 01:58 AM

I hope you have Applecare. Otherwise you're looking at quite a bit to get it replaced, depending on whether it is the backlight, the cable, the inverter board, the logic board.. etc. I had this problem a year ago, and the backlight on my PB gave out. Turns out it was the logic board, and would have cost over a grand to fix. So I bought a MBP instead.

Hope yours turns out more positive than mine!!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules