Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Self Processor Upgrade

Mac Mini Self Processor Upgrade
kupan787
Senior User
Dec 12, 2008, 09:23 PM

So I have been reading XLR8yourmac and seeing people doing processor upgrades on their mac mini, since the processor is in a ZIF socket. I found the following processor on ebay here and am wondering if that will work. From all that I can gather, I believe it will (it appears to be a socket 479 part, has the same power requirements/wattage, etc).

Has anyone here done a processor upgrade on a mini?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 12:40 AM

I wouldn't touch it. Minis are quite hard to open. And I wonder what you can gain, as an older mini has more bottlenecks for speed than just the processor.

But if you have worked on computers then that's a different thing, and it might work for you.

I'd say it's more for those who have fun rummaging around in a computer's guts than a really economically valuable operation.

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Dec 13, 2008, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I wouldn't touch it. Minis are quite hard to open. And I wonder what you can gain, as an older mini has more bottlenecks for speed than just the processor.

But if you have worked on computers then that's a different thing, and it might work for you.

I'd say it's more for those who have fun rummaging around in a computer's guts than a really economically valuable operation.
Sorry, I should have clarified :-)

I am pretty comfortable with internals, I have built quite a few PCs in the past, and have done processor upgrades on G3s and G4s. So I am not worried at all about that aspect, I was more concered with the actual processor, if it was the right kind.

As far as what I can gain, I currently have a 1.83 GHz mini, and it can handle 720P videos just fine. I am finishing up my HTPC setup (used to have a hacked AppleTV), and I have read that the 2.0GHz minis can handle 1080p content. I am looking to more or less future-proof myself. This baby is only used for Boxee and media playback. I have ripped all my DVDs (Handbrake is amazing!), and am starting to rip my HD-DVD collection now that I have a machine capable of playing them back. I was sold on VOD with the AppleTV, and being bale to VOD full 1080p content will be killer.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2008, 05:35 AM

If you have a 1.83 GHz mini then the T7600 is the fastest C2D you can upgrade to. It's a socket M type Merom so it will fit your mini and it should work.

That said, don't expect any dramatic gains. Do you have a C2D or CD 1.83 GHz? The latter will of course see more of a boost, but if it's the former don't expect to notice that much. And considering $250 is a lot compared to the value of the mini...

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2008, 06:39 AM

T7600 is the fastest and works. In fact, in some xBench tests, my SuperMini™ is faster than my quad-core, 2.0 GHz Mac Pro.

And that said, the Mini gets a dramatic boost (partially due to the CPU-driven graphics array) with a maxed out C2D, even compared to the 1.83 C2D. There is a vast knowledge of the mini upgrading on http://www.123macmini.com/forums/
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
T7600 is the fastest and works. In fact, in some xBench tests, my SuperMini™ is faster than my quad-core, 2.0 GHz Mac Pro.
What benchmark is that, BogoMIPS?

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2008, 04:21 PM

This is my SuperMini™ directly compared to my Mac Pro that my wife uses, using xBench:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc...91&doc2=309386

I have upgraded the Mac Pro to 4GB RAM since.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2008, 08:00 PM

Which shows what a poor benchmark Xbench is.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2008, 05:26 AM

Name a good one and I'll run it.
Wojtek

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2008, 04:50 PM

Benchmark what you do; that's all that really matters in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules