Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Odd Networking Issue

Odd Networking Issue
kupan787
Senior User
Feb 7, 2009, 01:08 PM

So today I started having a very odd networking issue. I wake my Mac Pro from sleep, and I notice that it has an IP address of 169.254.111.112. I immidiatly gointo the network preferences, and see the following:

IP Address:169.254.111.112
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 169.254.111.111
DNS Server: 68.28.114.91

and Network Preferences is telling me I have a Self-Assigned address. This computer is hard wired in. My wireless computers don't seem to be affected (they are still getting IP addresses). The odd thing is the internet works fine (I am typing this now, can access any page I want, etc). I can't access my router (192.168.1.1) unless I manually give myself an IP/Router address, but then I lose access to the internet. Very odd.

I'm not sure why this suddenly happened. I have tried rebooting my Mac, tried rebooting my router, but nothing. Anyone have any thoughts, or heard of this happening before?

EDIT: Ok, more oddity. I was playing around in the Network Preferences, and I changed it to use BootP instead of DHCP (this is on my Mac) and suddenly I am getting an IP address, and everythign is working fine. So what is BootP, and why would DHCP be crapping out??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2009, 05:13 PM

BOOTP is the predecessor to DHCP; most DHCP servers will support it.

Have you created multiple aliases on your network interface?

kupan787  (op)
Senior User
Feb 7, 2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
BOOTP is the predecessor to DHCP; most DHCP servers will support it.

Have you created multiple aliases on your network interface?
What do you mean by aliases?

My router is setup to use a DHCP server, but I have a handful of machines that get a static IP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2009, 02:11 PM

Are any other wired clients able to get new DHCP leases?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2009, 03:29 PM

When was the last time the router that's doling out DHCP addresses was rebooted? Sometimes the DHCP server in consumer-level routers just plain gets goofy and either stops issuing addresses or forgets the ones that were issued. Either way, a hard restart of the router (power off, wait several minutes, power on) will fix this issue. And since it takes minutes and costs nothing, restarting your router (and maybe all your network hardware) is the first step I usually recommend for any "weird" networking issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gbreal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2009, 08:52 PM

Hi kupan787,

I got same IP address for my computer and got worried because of a rogue DHCP server running in my home network. I managed to trace it and here's your answer. That unknown DHCP server was running in my iPhone, it's the PDAnet application. Check this out:

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/updatehistory.php

PdaNet for iPhone Update History:

Version 1.42

* Hard-codes IP address on the iPhone to 169.254.111.111 and computer to 169.254.111.112.

-Gbreal-

Forum Links
Forum Rules