Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help buying powerbook g3

help buying powerbook g3
in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2001, 08:10 PM

my brother is going to get a powerbook g3 400mgz model. It is 1689.00 at clubmac or for 1825.00 it comes with 320mb of ram. i was wondering if anyone knew of a better deal at this time. Also i was wondering if clubmac is a good place to buy from, customer service and otherwise. So if you have seen a better deal that is not refurbished or have had any experiences with clubmac please reply.

[This message has been edited by in the flesh? (edited 04-18-2001).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2001, 09:03 PM

That's a pretty good deal. I don't think there are many places with the old PowerBook in stock at this moment.

If you can find a 500-megahertz PowerBook G3, I would buy that instead, but if the 400-megahertz Pismo is your only choice, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

$1,500-$2,000 is a good deal for such a great machine. I'm still happy with my Pismos.

Customer service would be provided by Apple, right? I haven't had any experience dealing with them personally.

Before you buy, please check out Mac Mall. They might have a better deal.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2001, 09:23 PM

Don't forget to check the for sale section. You can get a good deal and you can get a gurantee of a perfect screen .... something even Apple doen't do.

Steve

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 19, 2001, 02:38 AM

Actually, I much prefer ClubMac, CDW and MacConnection over MacZone and MacMall, because the first 3 do not have fixed prices: you can haggle with them! I got ClubMac to drop shipping on a printer and 19" CRT monitor (on the same order!) just by asking "what's the best deal you can give me?" They are willing to beat another company's best offer to make the sale (especially towards the end of the month, when sales quotas must be met!).

MacZone and MacMall have fixed prices, and will not negotiate.

MacWarehouse I honestly don't know about, I haven't ordered from them in ages.

Aside from pricing policy, I don't really see any advantage over one or the other -- they all offer good service.

tooki

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 03:46 AM

Here's where the otherwise useless Powerbook Central shines. It shows constantly updated current deals on all PowerBooks.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 04:51 AM

Go to Ramseeker.com to buy ram. 256mb for a pismo should cost < $100 with shipping. Installing it is a snap.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2001, 01:27 PM

Alright, I'll share a bit of information with even though I'm looking at buying the exact system. DONT buy it from club mac. Dollar for Dollar Macconnection has the better deal. ClubMac overcharges by about 20.00 and they won't negotiate or at least my sales rep wouldn't. I bought my first system from them so I know they do haggle, just don't give your name to the rep when they ask. Let them know you're just looking.. Otherwise, they'll tie you to that rep and they won't negotiate.

Macconnection's price for the same system is 1826.88 w/overnight shipping. Or ClubMac has a New machine but the box is pretty beat up they are offering with the free ram upgrade for under 1800. I think it's 1726. That's a sweet deal to get a new machine that could carry the warranty from Apple.

Right now, I'm looking at buying my machine from Smalldog.com. They are running a special with the same machine equal ram and a backpack for carrying the machine for about 1870. I figure by the time I buy a carrying case of whatever I'll be at that price anyway.

Cheers.

Quadzy..

P.S. don't tell any one else about these deals.
It's just my humble opinion.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 19, 2001, 02:56 PM

That's odd... I've haggled with ClubMac on many an occasion. They were even able to meet the education price on a few things (e.g. the AppleCare packagage for my PowerBook, where I paid the exact same amount as Apple would have charged me, but I got free FedEx on it).

tooki

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2001, 03:08 PM

i got my pismo from macmall, with a printer, internal cdrw, & free 256k ram (which still reads after the infamous firmware update..)
haggled, no problem, saved several hundred over catalog prices.
got my packages in two days, everything works.

this is the best time to buy a pismo...
good luck!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

LY
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2001, 04:40 PM

Remember to go thru ebates when buying for another 2-5% off!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2001, 05:39 PM

...or tell the sales rep you COULD use your ebates account (that's what i did, it got me a discount on the phone..)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2001, 11:21 AM

Forgive me but what are ebates and where can I find more information about it?
It's just my humble opinion.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2001, 12:11 PM

go to www.ebates.com

have fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules