Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MB and MBP cases revealed (and Oct 14 speculation)

New MB and MBP cases revealed (and Oct 14 speculation) (Page 5)
Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 05:49 AM

I agree the 15" in that pic looks cool, but there are so many things there that go against ergonomics I'm kinda worried they might have lost it.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 05:58 AM

Could somebody here explain to me what benefit I get form having a glass trackpad? I mean, why should I care about the material my trackpad is made of as long a it works (like the one on my current MBP does)?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I agree the 15" in that pic looks cool, but there are so many things there that go against ergonomics I'm kinda worried they might have lost it.
AI confirms through a source that the picture is legitimate. Being only a few hours before the event, the chances that it is so are really high now.

moep
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 06:16 AM

Could somebody here explain to me what benefit I get form having a glass trackpad? I mean, why should I care about the material my trackpad is made of as long a it works (like the one on my current MBP does)?
Maybe it’s just a step towards something larger. For example a OLED touchscreen in place of the trackpad. I could picture it showing the Tools in Adobe’s apps, Playback controls in Frontrow… the possibilities are endless. Yum.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
No, you're not the only one, I find it really nice.
I agree. I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to get one in my hands.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 07:39 AM

The mandatory glossy screen on a "pro" model is a very questionable choice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 07:41 AM

glossy only? I'll stick to my last rev matte mbp

if the trackpad is indeed clickable, that'd be kinda cool I guess

does this color style, save the black border around the screen, remind anyone else of the tibooks?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 08:04 AM

Sure, cause the black keyboard… which I guess has to be so given the glossy display… to avoid reflections…

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 09:30 AM

One won't need to wait 2 years to have a shiny and greasy trackpad.
The trackpad will be shiny right after buying it. Technically speaking
I would say it's also a style oriented future. Personally I don't believe
the glass trackpad rumor and of course I could be wrong.

On the other side, also if the rumor is true, I welcome the absence of trackpad
button, this may be an other Apple's step forward in computers, at least they will
become less boring.

Best Regards

PS: Anyone has a clue if the displays will future more pixels per inch?
( Last edited by darkmatter; Oct 14, 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Adding question)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 09:31 AM

If what has been said about the trackpad is true, it's like some descendant of of the button-less clear mouse of long-ago.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The mandatory glossy screen on a "pro" model is a very questionable choice.
If they do that, they've lost the pro video market AND the pro graphics market. And the pro stage musicians.

Which "pro" market would then be left, I wonder?

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If they do that, they've lost the pro video market AND the pro graphics market. And the pro stage musicians.

Which "pro" market would then be left, I wonder?
nah, they aren't losing any 'markets.' Apple knows who their customers are. These new displays will no doubt be the best thus far. The glossy doesn't taint any user experience, and yes, I am part of the 'pro graphics' market. In fact, you get much truer color and saturation.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 10:04 AM

On the bright side, if integrated graphics is really gone, a lot of users will be celebrating.

Super Mario
Oct 14, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
On the bright side, if integrated graphics is really gone, a lot of users will be celebrating.
Once the beer goggles are off they'll realise that a Geforce 9400 is already low end and won't be worth anything within a year.

I'm going to have to be a heretic here and go for the Dell Precision M6400. The pro specs on it are just too useful in a laptop for me to say no to and the design is quite Mac-like. Quad-core CPU, up to 16GB ram, 100% RGB color gamut 10bit LED screen, dual hard drive bays and a 1GB Quadro 3700M. This is the perfect pro mobile workstation for heavy 64bit Photoshop.

Apple isn't matching it and Adobe isn't releasing a 64bit Photoshop for Macs yet so I have no choice
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:31 PM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:24 AM

"Mac-like" design? That's a brick. Thanks, I'll gladly stick with a notebook (i.e. my trusty 2.4 GHz MBP).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
nah, they aren't losing any 'markets.' Apple knows who their customers are. These new displays will no doubt be the best thus far. The glossy doesn't taint any user experience, and yes, I am part of the 'pro graphics' market. In fact, you get much truer color and saturation.
I thought the big problem was that the color are actually OVERsaturated?

(I gather there is now *one* calibration device that is able to calibrate glossy displays, so the "not calibratable" argument appears to be moot...)

Also, if the glossy display isn't glossy as in MacBook Air but "glossy" as in "iMac-sheet-of-glass", then the 'books are gonna be hell on stage.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:28 AM

Here are some more pics of the 15" MBP case.

So apparently the battery is not part of the shell anymore. Instead you remove part of the case to get access to the battery and a user-serviceable disk.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/n...ard-drive-acc/

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Once the beer goggles are off they'll realise that a Geforce 9400 is already low end and won't be worth anything within a year.

I'm going to have to be a heretic here and go for the Dell Precision M6400. The pro specs on it are just too useful in a laptop for me to say no to and the design is quite Mac-like. Quad-core CPU, up to 16GB ram, 100% RGB color gamut 10bit LED screen, dual hard drive bays and a 1GB Quadro 3700M. This is the perfect pro mobile workstation for heavy 64bit Photoshop.

Apple isn't matching it and Adobe isn't releasing a 64bit Photoshop for Macs yet so I have no choice
That's a fine laptop, no question, and your decision makes sense, but PLEASE don't EVER claim that the design is "quite Mac-like"...

*ahem*

moep
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 10:33 AM

and the design is quite Mac-like.
Beer googles yes, but who?
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 10:34 AM

With all of the pre-announcement notebook speculation, I am surprised that there is no information about maximum RAM in these new units, especially the higher end models.

I am still hoping to see up to 8 GB in at least some models.

Super Mario
Oct 14, 2008, 10:44 AM

That's a fine laptop, no question, and your decision makes sense, but PLEASE don't EVER claim that the design is "quite Mac-like"...

*ahem*
What's wrong with it except that it isn't on a Naomi Campbell diet ?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:55 AM

What's wrong with it except that it isn't on a Naomi Campbell diet ?
There's a whole range of acceptable between "Naomi Campbell" and "Inspector Gadget", you know.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 10:59 AM

It doesn't make sense that Apple would drop FireWire from the MacBook, drop it from 2.4 to 2.0ghz, and raise the price $200.

Axing the 17" MBP and making the pro glossy-only also makes no sense.

Super Mario
Oct 14, 2008, 11:02 AM

There's a whole range of acceptable between "Naomi Campbell" and "Inspector Gadget", you know.
Yep! Inspector Gadget isn't anorexic and suffering from such delusions of grandeur that he needs an "event" every time he makes a new public appearance! The MacBook Pro's publicists really think they're selling a Naomi Campbell Question is are they hogging the drugs for themselves in Cupertino?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 11:42 AM

Yep! Inspector Gadget isn't anorexic and suffering from such delusions of grandeur that he needs an "event" every time he makes a new public appearance!
He is also completely nerdy and UTTERLY devoid of style.

To each his own. (You're not a designer, are you? )

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 12:14 PM

Not a fan of the need to remove part of the case to get to the battery, but the idea of a quick disconnect for the HD is awesome for travel / security.

Unless I am completely put off by something, I am ordering today...

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 01:07 PM

How long before the conference????

An hour? two?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 01:12 PM

It just started.

live feeds

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 01:12 PM

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks!!!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 01:21 PM

Glass trackpad was correct then.... looks really good.

*edit* I'm not a fan of the design, though it seems a really rigid notebook from the feeds posted. Thanks!

*edit* good specs......want one haha DDR3 RAM. 2 Graphics cards is a really nice touch too!
( Last edited by kenna; Oct 14, 2008 at 01:36 PM. )

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 01:47 PM

New mbp and displays are gloss. Apples done with matte. Rumors all true so far.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 02:20 PM

That was an interesting display, looking forward to seeing the keynote. Sounds like the graphics are going to be greatly upped. I'm not a fan of the design but then i'll wait to see it in stores.

Be interesting to see what this new trackpad looks like and how that is to use.

Is 4GB still the ceiling for the two models RAM wise?

iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 02:46 PM

Yeah.

Smillz
Oct 14, 2008, 04:14 PM

I like the old macbooks more

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 04:25 PM

• The "mystery button" turns out to be an array of LED's for the battery. Rather than putting the charge checker on the battery itself, the button and LED's were moved to the side.

• I'm both disappointed and not surprised that the 13" display is still the same resolution. I was hoping for at least 1440x900. But I'm so used to 1280x800 that it's not a deal-breaker.

• Also disappointed that the $1000 price was for the crappy old outdated model. But I'm hoping like how they kept the old G4's around when the G5's came out that by June there will be a lower end in that slot based on the new one. But not holding breath.

• I'll have to give the new trackpad thorough testing from every aspect before I decide. A crappy buggy trackpad would be a deal-breaker and make me wait. but I have faith in Apple that it isn't as horrible as the current tap to click. Pressing down should be good. As long as it doesn't misinterpret my fingers accidentally, or miss clicks when I wanted to click. I am looking forward to all the gestures too.

• Little disappointed we need to get another adapter for our old displays. I have the Mini-DVI to DVI one I got for $20. The new one is $30! And I rarely even use my display! By then though I'll probably have gotten rid of the desk and display I have now anyway.

• Just a silly observation. Now that Firewire is gone. Just get rid of the Ethernet and I'll be happy. I hate unused ports I never use. Modem, gone. Firewire, gone. Next, Ethernet. Go, Apple! Go! (Offer a USB-Ethernet adapter like the modem you sell.) Plus, getting rid of the Ethernet would allow it to be even thinner! I mean look at how thick it is! All the rest of the ports are so much smaller in height. Ethernet is a dog. Put it to sleep. (Don't take this point seriously, I'm just rambling.)

• Really glad they put a nice video card in there finally. Not that I use the GMA I have much now, but just because I like fast graphics. Kinda wish the MB had the same dual graphics setup as the MBP, but whatever. Just for the coolness factor.

• The MacBook's keyboard IS backlit. And that's awesome. Finally.

• I didn't notice this. The new display lets you charge the MacBook with its own power adapter instead of the one the MB comes with. So you can keep your power adapter in the bag when at home. I like that. Too bad I won't be getting a display though.

Looking forward to taking it for a test drive.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
• The MacBook's keyboard IS backlit. And that's awesome. Finally.
Not on the $1299 model.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
• The "mystery button" turns out to be an array of LED's for the battery. Rather than putting the charge checker on the battery itself, the button and LED's were moved to the side.
The battery indicator was great for checking the charge of a battery NOT plugged into the laptop. This is about the only time I used it. Why would I want this moved to the laptop itself?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

schalliol
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 11:16 PM

Perhaps it lowers the cost of the battery. That would be good for margins or reduced prices for secondary batteries.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The battery indicator was great for checking the charge of a battery NOT plugged into the laptop. This is about the only time I used it. Why would I want this moved to the laptop itself?
Because with the new design the battery is hidden behind the case. Had Apple left the indicators on the battery, you would have had no way to read the charge level on a battery inserted in a sleeping or shut off MB(P).
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 16, 2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: spelling)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 04:46 AM

I see. A duplicated on-battery status would have been preferred though, but I guess only true road warriors require that.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2008, 09:56 AM

I see. A duplicated on-battery status would have been preferred though, but I guess only true road warriors require that.
I don't know any road warriors who carry more than one spare battery, and in fact, I know some that only have the one because the weight adds up. It's usually pretty easy to track whether you have a battery with some charge on it or not. I agree that the indicator is nice though.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

I use the battery indicator a lot, mostly to check battery status without having to wake up the machine.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2008, 03:45 PM

Yeah, it'll be easier to check the battery that's in the machine now :-)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 02:57 AM

I agree. I very much like the new indicator, but I would have liked it even more if they added a second to the battery itself. Just so you can check the spare battery you're carrying around. But I guess we can't have everything (yet).

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2008, 05:23 AM

Could somebody here explain to me what benefit I get form having a glass trackpad?

Multitouch.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 05:24 AM

Nope. The previous MBA had MT but it didn't have a glass trackpad.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2008, 05:31 AM

Kinda but not really: you could right click, and (if you moved your fingers to the edge) almost kinda scroll: zoom in/zoom out? No. Flick? No. Shove up eXpose? No. The new trackpad is very much like having the controls of an iPod Touch/iPhone on a laptop. That's cool!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Kinda but not really: you could right click, and (if you moved your fingers to the edge) almost kinda scroll: zoom in/zoom out? No. Flick? No. Shove up eXpose? No. The new trackpad is very much like having the controls of an iPod Touch/iPhone on a laptop. That's cool!
You could right click, zoom in and out, flick, rotate and all the gestures that were before the four finger ones on the latest MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. Someone needs to pay attention.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 06:20 AM

Kinda but not really: you could right click, and (if you moved your fingers to the edge) almost kinda scroll
You have been able to scroll on Apple's trackpads by placing two fingers ANYWHERE on the trackpad for OVER THREE YEARS.

What's this "move your fingers to the edge" thing you're talking about? Sounds like that half-assed sorta-kinda scrolling area on some Windows laptops.

: zoom in/zoom out? No. Flick? No. Shove up eXpose? No. The new trackpad is very much like having the controls of an iPod Touch/iPhone on a laptop. That's cool!
Zoom in and out and flick functionality (where supported by the software - Safari, iPhoto, Preview, Finder, etc. do) has been available since March on all new MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules