Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Replacement for At Ease

Replacement for At Ease
Antbob
Nov 22, 1999, 05:56 AM

I am seeking to find another means of user control other than At Ease. We have two At Ease servers (one acts as a backup) that have repeatedly gone "loopy" over the last 6 months and now I really need to find a "better means". Is the new user controlfacility on MacOS 9 available as a "server" version ? I was under the impression that it was. If so - where can I get it ?

Jared
Nov 22, 1999, 12:23 PM

Mac OS 9 multiple users can use the Mac Managers Database the runs on Mac OS X Server to verify users.

I've used Mac Manager and I've used Mac OS 9 but not together but I suspect they work together quite well.

Mac Manager isn't very mature but it is pretty powerful and simple to set up. You set everything up from a Mac OS GUI. You make users have full finder, limited finder, or Panels. You can limit users access to certain applications, access to removeable media, limit which printers they can use, and you can give disk quotas.

wormman
Nov 23, 1999, 02:18 AM

I've seen alot of people happy with FoolProof from www.smartstuff.com, but it may be a better solution to use the stuff built in to OS 9. The Mac Manager for OS X should be out in less than a month for AppleShare IP 6.3 servers running OS 9.

Good Luck

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 24, 1999, 02:47 AM

I have also used client machines on a system called "MacAdministrator", it restricts access to specified files (i.e. Control Panels), but does not use an alternative desktop. It stores a user's files on the server, and downloads them to the client machine's hard drive upon login.

That's all I know about it.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules