Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Applescript to erase CDRWs

Applescript to erase CDRWs
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2002, 10:19 AM

Hi

I found an applescript to erase CDRWs at MACOSXHINTS.COM, but when I paste the code into Script Editor I have a lot of erros. Can someone help me to create this application? I need it so much.

The Code:

(*
Erase ReWritable Media
Calls'hdiutil burn -erase' to erase rewritable media
without the terminal or Disk Utility
*)

beep
display dialog "Erase a rewritable disc?" buttons {"Cancel", "Yes"}
default button "Cancel" with icon note
set the user_choice to the button returned of the result
if the user_choice is "Yes" then

display dialog "Are you sure you want to erase a disc?" & return & return &
"You cannot undo this action." buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button "Cancel" with icon alert

if the user_choice is "OK" then
display dialog "Press OK and insert your disc. It may take several minutes to erase your disc."
do shell script "hdiutil burn -erase"
display dialog "Your disc has been erased." buttons {"�"} default button 1 giving up after 10
end if

end if

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2002, 01:23 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by xmacintosh:
<strong>Hi

I found an applescript to erase CDRWs at MACOSXHINTS.COM, but when I paste the code into Script Editor I have a lot of erros. Can someone help me to create this application? I need it so much.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The code was ok, there were just two line breaks where there weren't supposed to be (I hate languages that are white-space dependent )

Anyway, here is how it should be.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">(*
Erase ReWritable Media
Calls'hdiutil burn -erase' to erase rewritable media
without the terminal or Disk Utility
*)

beep
display dialog &quot;Erase a rewritable disc?&quot; buttons {&quot;Cancel&quot;, &quot;Yes&quot;} default button &quot;Cancel&quot; with icon note
if the user_choice is &quot;Yes&quot; then

display dialog &quot;Are you sure you want to erase a disc?&quot; &amp; return &amp; return &amp; &quot;You cannot undo this action.&quot; buttons {&quot;Cancel&quot;, &quot;OK&quot;} default button &quot;Cancel&quot; with icon alert

if the user_choice is &quot;OK&quot; then
display dialog &quot;Press OK and insert your disc. It may take several minutes to erase your disc.&quot;
do shell script &quot;hdiutil burn -erase&quot;
display dialog &quot;Your disc has been erased.&quot; buttons {&quot;�&quot;} default button 1 giving up after 10
end if

end if</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Note: If you want to break up a long line in the editor, you can do it. You have to go to where you want to break up the line and press option-return. This will make a new line, and have a little arrow character at the end of the old line. You need that arrow character to avoid any compiler errors.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Forum Links
Forum Rules