Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime 5.0b11 trashing machine?

Quicktime 5.0b11 trashing machine?
MusicMan
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2001, 11:41 AM

I installed Quicktime 5.0b11 last night on my G4/400 (PCI). Now my machine won't boot past the happy mac. It just sits there smirking at me. I can start up from Norton CD, but not from my HD...has anyone else had this problem?
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

anonymous
Feb 16, 2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by MusicMan:
I installed Quicktime 5.0b11 last night on my G4/400 (PCI). Now my machine won't boot past the happy mac. It just sits there smirking at me. I can start up from Norton CD, but not from my HD...has anyone else had this problem?
music man, same thing happened to me, except i have a tangerine imac. startup from your restore disk, and remove the sound manager from your extensions folder. On my system, it appears that the sound manager extension was somehow modified when quicktime expired.
after you reboot, make sure to go to the extensions and disable the sound manager extension from there. I have not tried downloading and installing a new sound manager file yet.
on a side note. after i was able to reboot, I found a folder in the Trash folder that was entitled "Rescued Items from Hard Disk". This folder contained some data that looked like it was retrieved from cookies. Let me know if you see the same thing.

djmax
Feb 16, 2001, 10:33 PM

i had same problem with my g4 pci i thought i broke my computer at first it booted i left the room and saw the desktop normal i went to run hotline and sound it said sound manger not there i was oh let me play mp3 to see no sound dam i said so i went and saw new qt i download it and tryed to install it it crashed my computer and i rebooted i got message qt has expired so i went to update it crashed again next i reboot i was not ablle to boot...

MusicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2001, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys...removing the sound manager didn't help for me...until i zapped the PRAM. Now everything is back to normal....
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

MusicMan  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2001, 10:55 AM

OK...everything is NOT all right. I have to zap the PRAM every time I restart. This should not be, no? I even uninstalled Quicktime and re-installed it.

Help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules