Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > notMac Beta anyone?

notMac Beta anyone?
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2007, 11:47 AM

My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2007, 07:34 PM

Yep. So far, syncing and the iDisk work just like .Mac. iPhoto '08 didn't like trying to publish to it though, likely due to the new gallery. For me though sync was the big thing I wanted, just not at $99 a year.

It looks like earlier today the price money was awarded and so the project will be hitting sourceforge.net soon. From there it can only get better. It will be nice to be able to put it on my Linux server, instead of using my Mac Mini at home to talk to the Mac at work and my laptop over the slow cablemodem uplink.
<This space under renovation>

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 10:45 PM

I'm gonna try it. Just did my first sync.

I'm not worried about losing data, but I am worried about hosing the client machines systems.

That and this is an app that will have to stay in step with Apple software updates. If that isn't done, this app won't do it for me and a lot of people.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2007, 03:35 PM

Not working for me beyond Safari and Address Book. Not 100% sure they sync either. When it hits iCal it just spits an error.

I'm of the opinion that this doesn't yet fulfill the objective of the challenge. You can't just install it and it'll work. You may have to change your Mac's host name (which may be my problem), or export and re-import certain types of data, or toggle the sync preferences in all the apps themselves including locking then unlocking your keychain. There's also the fact that .Mac homepages can't load with the .Mac service addresses set to loopback in /etc/hosts. Wonder what it does to e-mail bound for a .Mac address?

Hopefully it gets better since it shows a ton of promise. Just not quite there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules