Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.App and Gmail IMAP

Mail.App and Gmail IMAP
GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 07:56 PM

OK so I'm eagerly waiting for my copy of Leopard to be shipped in few hours I was thinking to install Gmail IMAP in Mail of course

i've read problems with

- the draft feature...Basically Mail will automatically send a message to your gmail draft folder and then download it as a new message part of the conversation... so you'll end up with several unfinished copies of your sent email. From what I read it only happens when you are replying to a thread. The "Local Draft" option does not seem to be working on Mail.app but work on the iPhone.

- If you apply label in Gmail, then the email that you receive will appear both in the inbox and in the label/folder...consequently you'll end up with at least two copies of your the same email in Mail.app.

Has any of you run into one of these problem? Are there any other that I should be aware of?. I guess that for the second one, I can tell Gmail to skip the inbox and see what happen... Now I also have a .Mac account with IMAP but I was hoping to use Gmail/Mail.app + Gcal/iCal+gSync...

What do you guys think?

Thanks
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 08:25 PM

Are you sure you are access your GMail mail via IMAP? Sounds more like POP behavior to me.

GuillaumeB  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 05:50 AM

Yeh IMAP it's a new feature
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 10:37 AM

This is all due to googles attempt to make a better email system rather than complying with standards. It smacks of how MS tries to tweak open standards to their liking to make a proprietary system. It usually just irritates people.

I'm sure there are some people out there that use google's labels for their email, but I don't know many.

Most people now have multiple email accounts. They should operate in similar ways to avoid confusion. That means conforming to open standards.

Everyone has a gmail account because it is free, offers plenty of storage, and is available everywhere. It has nothing to do with labels or conversation threading. We would all be better off if google reverted to a compliant IMAP protocol.

just my 2c,
kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules