Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Memory Management

iPhone Memory Management
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2007, 10:46 AM

I haven't seen a discussion about this yet, so I thought I would post...

Shortly before the iPhone was released, there were reports that the OS on the phone sucked up about 700MB of the 8GB capacity. Is this really true?

Actually I am wondering if I fill up the phone with music, video etc (within just a few megabytes of the capacity reported on iTunes), will performance suffer? Is this same memory space used for storing photos, email, attachments, etc? Will I get low memory errors as things fill up?

I have been trying to keep about 1GB free because of the above concerns...

Has anyone packed their iPhone full and noticed any issues?

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2007, 12:00 AM

I would imagine that there is dedicated memory for swapping and paging, but I'm not an expert. The installer for the iPhone OS is approximately 90MB, and I've heard an estimate that the OS itself takes around 200MB.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2007, 01:49 AM

I believe the 4GB nano has 3.7GB available for use. The 4GB iPhone has around 3.5GB available, so I'd say the idea that it's 200MB sounds reasonable. I wouldn't fill the iPhone absolutely full just because you want room for photos or whatever, but I imagine that the space reserved for the OS includes whatever space the iPhone needs for caching, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules