Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Delete Console Logs?

Delete Console Logs?
jmperez64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 12:43 AM

Are the Console logs required? There are nine logs listed in this folder, and they are taking up 6 gigs of harddrive space on a 20 gig drive. I sure would like to free up this space. Any suggestions on how to do this will be greatly appreciated.

avoges
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 10:10 PM

in finder click on the go menu and type /var/log. This will take you to the hidden folder that contains most of the logs. The rest are in your user directory in the library folder and are not hidden

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 11:16 PM

They aren't required, so you can delete them, but keeping them around is generally a good thing since they help you identify problems.

One thing though: I'm guessing you're on 10.3.8. 10.3.8 had some issues with creating large log files. The main problem I heard about was if you had the MacAlly iShock drivers installed...your log files would explode. Normally they're just a few kb, not a few GB. So yeah, if you have the iShock drivers installed, get rid of them.

The only other thing I've heard about recently for large log files is an error related to backlit keyboards on PowerBooks. I think the fix for that was to dim your keyboard a bit or something, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, yes, you can delete them, but if they come back and get large again you may have a problem.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

jmperez64  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess a little more info would have helped. I have not upgraded to 10.3.8 yet and I do not have the Mcnally iShock driver. So I don't think these are the problems. The computer with these files is a 600mhz iBook, so no backlight on the keyboard. There are 10 console files in the folder: console.log.0, console.log.1, console.log.2, etc. Seven of the files are about 40 kb in size. The other three are: 1.97 gb, 2.3 gb, and the other one is 1.2 gb.

I have the left the iBook on these last two nights to see if the machines self diagnostics fix the problem. I guess I'll delete the larger files and see if the problem re-occurs.

Thanks again,

Juan

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by jmperez64:
Thanks for the replies. I guess a little more info would have helped. I have not upgraded to 10.3.8 yet and I do not have the Mcnally iShock driver. So I don't think these are the problems. The computer with these files is a 600mhz iBook, so no backlight on the keyboard. There are 10 console files in the folder: console.log.0, console.log.1, console.log.2, etc. Seven of the files are about 40 kb in size. The other three are: 1.97 gb, 2.3 gb, and the other one is 1.2 gb.

I have the left the iBook on these last two nights to see if the machines self diagnostics fix the problem. I guess I'll delete the larger files and see if the problem re-occurs.

Thanks again,

Juan
You can go ahead and delete all the ones with numbers in the names, without harming anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules