Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Photo disappointment?

iPod Photo disappointment?
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 04:46 PM

anyone disappointed with their iPod Photo or switched from regular iPod to the Photo and wish they hadn't?

just curious

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 05:48 PM

Nope. I LOVE the color Screen and the album art it's plain cool.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 06:39 PM

Yeah the color screen is sweet and the 30GB isn't too thick. I would have a hard time going back to monochrome.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2005, 07:55 PM

great cuz i just ordered one

songoku912
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2005, 09:39 PM

I picked up the 40 when it was released. Can't look back. You really get used to the color menu and album art really quick.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 09:59 PM

I considered one, but didn't actually smoke an iPod photo over until after i got a regular one. i kind of wish i had spend the extra money, oh well...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by songoku912:
I picked up the 40 when it was released. Can't look back. You really get used to the color menu and album art really quick.
I'll second that.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2005, 11:34 PM

The extra battery life is also great and can't beat having the 60.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 8, 2005, 11:45 PM

I just got an iPod mini and it's great, but when the mini goes to 10 GB and gets a colour screen I may just have to buy another one. The photo's colour screen and album art are very nice. I also like the image tank functionality (with the future Apple USB adapter).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 03:57 AM

I ordered the new 60 GB photo and from looking at the 20 GB iPod or the minis I really can say I'm glad I went for the photo. The GUI is so much nicer and the 60 GB of drive space should make it not only an awesome digital music player (I need at least 20 GB for music), but also a nice FW/USB2 HDD when I'm traveling.

The downside is that I ordered the iPod together with the photo dock and a FW cable. The dock has an 8 day shipping estimate and therefore its lagging my entire order. Not terrible, but it's a pain when I consider I could already be using my new iPod if I hadn't ordered it together with the dock. The worst part is that the normal iPod dock ships within 24h and I'm wondering if I could have just taken that dock, since I don't care about the S-Video port and picture display to TV/beamer/etc...

crooner
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I just got an iPod mini and it's great, but when the mini goes to 10 GB and gets a colour screen I may just have to buy another one. The photo's colour screen and album art are very nice. I also like the image tank functionality (with the future Apple USB adapter).
I picked up a 40GB photo for $299 (you read that correctly) and LOVE it. I mean... what's not to love about it? To all the people who trash talk the color screen: You get to used to it VERY fast!

I do, however agree with Eug in that I would surely add to my collection a 10GB mini with a color screen.

Now then, Eug, what is "the image tank functionality (with the future Apple USB adapter)" all about? Do you mean to soon to be released Camera Connector or is something else?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 11:54 AM

I just got a 60 gig iPod photo the other day to replace a 3rd generation iPod. The color screen is amazing. The color screen is worth every penny in my opinion.

I don't understand the 'you get used to the color screen' comments. What's to get used to? The menus and everything work exactly the same. It just looks 1000 times better.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 09:06 PM

Aren't the 60GB's quite thick though? I currently have a 3G 30GB, but I'm not sure I'd get one that's thicker than that.

Once the smaller one reaches 40GB I might just get one.

crooner
Senior User
Mar 9, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by b11051973:
I just got a 60 gig iPod photo the other day to replace a 3rd generation iPod. The color screen is amazing. The color screen is worth every penny in my opinion.

I don't understand the 'you get used to the color screen' comments. What's to get used to? The menus and everything work exactly the same. It just looks 1000 times better.
I completely agree. I used the words "get used to" in an almost sarcastic way due to some of the near venomous postings by folks that regard the color screen as not only useless, but an insult, insofar as they feel they have to pay for that in order to have a capacity greater than 20GB.

Nonsense, but you can't please everyone. You're right, the color screen is gorgeous and FAR easier to read.

Originally posted by Busemann:
Aren't the 60GB's quite thick though? I currently have a 3G 30GB, but I'm not sure I'd get one that's thicker than that.

I think the 40GB is the same thickness as the 60GB and I was concerned abut the thickness until I actually got mine. It's slim, man. SLIM. Sure, not as slim as a mini, but it amazed me how much smaller and compact the whole thing was when I finally got it in my hands and started to play. I wouldn�t let the thickness factor sway you away from getting a great deal on the 40GB (or "old" 60GB) while they last.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Darkmimic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
The worst part is that the normal iPod dock ships within 24h and I'm wondering if I could have just taken that dock, since I don't care about the S-Video port and picture display to TV/beamer/etc...
The docks aren't very interchangable - the size of the hole for the ipod varies depending on which model you get. I just upgraded from a 40 GB iPod 4G to a 40 GB iPod photo. Since the photo is slightly thicker, my original dock didn't fit (luckily it came with a new one) and I had to buy a new 'Contour Showcase' for it.

I didn't understand why so many things said 'not iPod photo compatible' until I got one. Its all because of the size of it.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 10:38 AM

I bought a 60 gig photo to replace a 3rd gen 30 gig. I put them side-by-side and they look to be the exact same size. So, you get a click wheel, color screen and double the capacity in the same size package.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 01:07 PM

thanks for the responses because mine got delivered today, A DAY EARLY!

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by b11051973:
I bought a 60 gig photo to replace a 3rd gen 30 gig. I put them side-by-side and they look to be the exact same size. So, you get a click wheel, color screen and double the capacity in the same size package.
Cool! I was under the impression that the 60gb photo's were a bit thicker, but if they aren't I might just get one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 01:46 PM

old 40 GB iPod: 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.69", 6.2 ounces

old 40 GB and 60 GB iPod photo: 2.4" x 4.1" x .75", 6.4 ounces

20 GB iPod: 2.4" x 4.1" x .57", 5.6 ounces

new 30 GB iPod photo: 2.4" x 4.1" x .63", 5.9 ounces

new 60 GB iPod photo: 2.4" x 4.1" x .75", 6.4 ounces

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 10, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by crooner:
Now then, Eug, what is "the image tank functionality (with the future Apple USB adapter)" all about? Do you mean to soon to be released Camera Connector or is something else?
Yes. With the old Belkin adapter, you couldn't look at the pix until you got to a computer. Images downloaded with Apple's connector (which is much cheaper by the way) will be viewable immediately. There is one snag though. The images will not be viewable thru the video cable. Only a thumbnail on the iPod photo's screen. But that's good enough for most people for image tank purposes.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2005, 02:26 PM

Cool! I was under the impression that the 60gb photo's were a bit thicker, but if they aren't I might just get one.
To a certain extent, I didn't care about the size of the 60 gig photo. I just wanted the highest capacity iPod. I've also got a 1 gig shuffle. So, I've already got the small iPod taken care of.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
There is one snag though. The images will not be viewable thru the video cable. Only a thumbnail on the iPod photo's screen.
Really? That's surprising. I wonder what the technical limitation is there... it doesn't make sense to me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
Really? That's surprising. I wonder what the technical limitation is there... it doesn't make sense to me.
This is my guess: in order for the iPod to display to a TV, it needs to have the photos converted to a certain format. When you download the photos from your camera to the iPod they could be any format. The conversion from the camera's format to the iPod's video format is done by iTunes respectively by your Mac. The iPod obviously can't do it on its own.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 05:06 PM

Just upgraded from a 3G 20gb iPod to a 30gb iPod Photo. Love it. Feels exactly the same size as the one it replaced too

Forum Links
Forum Rules