Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Local eBay seller legal contracts

Local eBay seller legal contracts
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2008, 11:30 AM

My mom's parents are both in their early 80s and in declining health. My grandpa is almost deaf, mostly blind, diabetic, and on a lot of medication. My grandma has occasional mini-strokes, has had a couple car accidents in the two years (enough to total two cars), and has become very forgetful, to the point of misspelling my mom's name on letters to her.

They're finally selling their house and moving to a small apartment complex where they can get better care, but they won't have room for most of their stuff anymore. Without consulting any of her kids, my grandma went to a local guy that sells stuff on eBay and asked him to sell an antique Hoosier Cabinet for her. The seller went to my grandparents' house, took pictures of the piece, and chatted with them for a couple hours.

The problem is that my mom thinks the eBay seller ripped them off, that he knew what the value of the cabinet was and took advantage of them because they're old and...well...pretty senile.

What is the legality of a verbal contract between an individual and a private eBay seller? The only thing that was on paper was my grandma's address. There was nothing written or signed.

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2008, 11:38 AM

Verbal contracts are valid in many cases. However, you're at an advantage since you're both local -- if it can't get resolved, small claims court in your area may be a good option (small court fee, no lawyers).

I'm not a lawyer.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2008, 12:01 PM

Frankly, I'm on the side of the eBay seller. He was contacted by a client, given a desired price, listed the item, and it sold for more than that desired price, which may or may not be close to the actual value of the antique. My mom just wondered the legality of the situation and whether or not we could get the cabinet back. My only thought is whether or not it could be argued that he was taking advantage of the elderly. I don't believe he was. The buyer is from Arkansas and is driving to Iowa to pick it up. He's already purchased parts and materials to restore this cabinet, so he's not willing to give it up.

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2008, 12:06 PM

If your grandma is senile, yet feels she was taken advantage of, I'd say the two are incompatible. If she's aware of the value of the cabinet, yet allowed the sale, then she's not in a position to argue. I assume the negotiation, posting, and sale occurred over several days -- long enough for these feelings or a request to cancel the auction to bubble up.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2008, 12:24 PM

My grandma's fine with it, my mom is the one that is concerned, and my grandma didn't think twice about it until my mom started fussing about it. I guess my uncle (who lives in the same town as my grandma) went in and had a shouting match with the eBay seller. I feel sorry for the guy and the fact that he's had to put up with my family.

Forum Links
Forum Rules