Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > The "old" skipping audio/iSub Distorting problem

The "old" skipping audio/iSub Distorting problem
marusin
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 11:03 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm currently using an iMac DV SE 500 (Summer 2000) with 512mb RAM and running OS 9.2.1 Software Update runs every week and the only thing that hasn't been updated has been the new "Authoring Support Update" because I don't want it to screw up my Toast and Jam Burning abilities...

Enough with a background already! I have been having problems with my mp3s and my iSub (which is plugged explicitly into an available USB port on the side of my iMac). My mp3s all seem to crackle when being played and my iSub distorts quite a bit if it's turned up to a "normal" listening volume... I guess I've been under a rock because people on other message boards at MacNN say that this has been a problem and it's been fixed years ago.. Like I said, I'm as up to date as I can be and am having these problems..

Anyone have any help or ideas on how to resolve this? It's been quite annoying and I would love to resolve this problem..

Thanks,
Mike

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 03:42 PM

First, check your other post on this subject. I don't think you're supposed to post the same question in two separate places. In addition to trashing your sound prefs, try giving iTunes, or any audio player application you may be using more memory. Bring up the app,(not an alias) key command i, choose "memory" in the show column, and increase both "minimum," and "preferred" to 4X "suggested". You have a lot of physical RAM, so this will not be any drain on memory. It might even work!!

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Fredo ]

Who are the Brain Police?

marusin  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 11:06 PM

Fredo,

If you read the other post that you speak of, I'm responding with my thoughts to someone's original post (who was asking opinions on iSub).. That spurred me to create this separate post to see if anyone had any help..

And by the way, the issue isn't memory allocation or anything like that.. OS 9.2.1 has known problems for several people using the iMac that I'm using and the iSub...

Thanks though...

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>First, check your other post on this subject. I don't think you're supposed to post the same question in two separate places. In addition to trashing your sound prefs, try giving iTunes, or any audio player application you may be using more memory. Bring up the app,(not an alias) key command i, choose "memory" in the show column, and increase both "minimum," and "preferred" to 4X "suggested". You have a lot of physical RAM, so this will not be any drain on memory. It might even work!!

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Fredo ]</STRONG>

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 2, 2001, 01:08 PM

Mike, I didn't mean to give you a hard time, I was only playing
Anyway, I too am running OS 9.2.1, with an iSub, and don't have any of the problems you have. I have noticed some static right after power-up, when extensions load at the bottom of the screen, it may be related to your problem. Please, if you find a final fix, let us know back here. And Good Luck!
Who are the Brain Police?

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2001, 01:49 PM

[I'm running 9.2.1 on a Imac 400 dv with soundsticks and Isub,and have no problems with it.Maybe some of your MP3's are bad?
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Forum Links
Forum Rules