Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who belongs to a MUG (Macintosh User Group) here?

Who belongs to a MUG (Macintosh User Group) here?
marusin
Senior User
Jan 14, 2002, 05:52 PM

Hey everyone,

Just wondering who here is a regular member of a Macintosh User Group in your area? I went to my first meeting for "The Rest Of Us" (www.trou.org) in Chicago last week and was wondering if anyone else participates in these type of organizations.

It was a pretty good meeting but I found it to be quite "low-level" in terms of what was being discussed and demoed. Everyone was very nice but it "seemed" like most people at the meeting were brand new to the Macintosh (and computers in general). Anyone else find "MUGs" to be this way?

I'm definitely going back because I enjoyed myself. Just wondering what other "MUGs" are like... I'm going to try volunteering to give a demo of some apps I wrote (and maybe a low-level introduction to programming, etc).

Just wondering,
Mike

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2002, 06:52 PM

I'm one of the founding members of the MUG at my school. Unfortunately, we don't do much of anything, and I haven't heard anything since our first meeting in the fall... I'll have to email everyone and find out what's going on.

Hopefully, we'll eventually get it going and have regular meetings. Our plans included guest speakers, vendors, that sort of thing. At our one meeting we did have a raffle, and the winner got a copy of the 10.1 update cd (this was the day it came out, and only two people had already gotten up to the apple store at the Mall of America).

Other than that, I used to go to BMUG meeting in Berkeley which were pretty cool. Lots of cool product demos, and they raffled off all sorts of fun stuff. I even go to see a Newton demoed when they first came out.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 07:02 PM

I'm a loser and don't go outside unless its to the pub, but I'm on an online mac user group if that counts.... AIMUG.

Nick

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2002, 07:06 PM

I haven't even heard of such a thing. I looked over the newsletter and it seemed like its geared for beginners. But if you enjoy it I guess you might as well go. That training software rental sounds like a good deal for people who want to learn those software titles. But the discount they offer might not be the best deal, MacMall isn't exactly the least expensive place to buy from.. and that quote in the newsletter saying that Apple doesn't have much of a markup on its products, funny.

But why at the Alder? (Besides the fact that all Chicago Museums are free on Weds) I remember they had computer classes there when I was a kid but no Macs to my recollection.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 10:50 PM

<font color = green> well if anybody knows of a MUG in the SF bay area please let me know </font> [email protected]

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2002, 11:15 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

marusin  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2002, 11:27 PM

From my take the local Chicago group is geared towards beginners. However, there seems to be tons of really "in-depth" User Groups around the U.S. (primarily around the Bay Area which obviously makes sense).

I can't remember the name of the Berkeley User Group but I believe they do a lot of really in-depth discussions, etc. I figure if nothing else, it doesn't hurt to "network" with other Mac people (I'd love to have a Mac job) and share what I know... It was kind of cool because there were people from all walks of life there.

The reason I asked this is because I just bought a house and am going to be moving to a rather large suburb from the city (I know I'm moving to the suburbs! ) and they don't seem to have a User Group (but there are two universities in the area, plus lots of companies which make me think of potential members). I kind of feel like Max Fischer from Rushmore but I'm thinking of starting my own group...

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: marusin ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2002, 05:05 AM

I'm a member of the Norwegian MUG, MacForum. I enrolled and went to my first meeting just to watch the keynote on a big screen. Other than that there was a mix of different people, mostly older and some high school-aged kids too. It was okay I guess, since I don't get to discuss much with mac-users in real life. (That's why I'm hanging here?)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 15, 2002, 11:55 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 11:47 AM. )

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jan 15, 2002, 12:08 PM

My Schedule always conflicts with their meetings so I have not joined or visited a meeting but they do hold them at our school.VIMUG
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2002, 02:23 PM

I am an antisocial recluse so I just hang out here online
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules