Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most Influential Band You've Never Heard Of?

Most Influential Band You've Never Heard Of?
marusin
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 03:53 PM

Not that people haven't heard of them, (but just they weren't too mainstream) I would say "Uncle Tupelo"...

The forefathers of "Yawl'ternative" or "alt-country"... If you don't know who they are, the band split to become Son Volt (Jay Farrar) and Wilco (Jeff Tweedy)... Wilco's release "Summerteeth" was on many critics album of the year when it was release (can't remember if it was 1998 or 1999) and they've become somewhat popular with their collaborations with Billy Bragg.

Son Volt no longer exists, but Jay Farrar has recently put out a solo cd which is very good... Wilco's yet-to-be-released-because-record-companies-are-evil-album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" should be in the top albums of 2001 (the album "leaked" out onto the Internet when Reprise droppped the band and their album). Wilco was able to buy the rights to the cd (which was ready to be released). When it's finally released in Spring 2002 on Nonesuch Records, watch for the run-away hit of the year...

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: marusin ]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 03:59 PM

I'm in. Not so much bands as Songwriters:
John Hiatt
Nick Drake
Never heard or heard of them? Yes, you have, too. You may not know it, but you have. So have most of the folks you listen to.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

andi*pandi
Dec 20, 2001, 04:06 PM

Guy I worked with once raved about T.Rex. He described it as metal/goth and such, sounded my cup o tea, so I went and borrowed it.

ack... unlistenable.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 04:13 PM

XTC. Not popular on the radio, but they show up all the time as "influences" in interviews with bands like Radiohead, the Flaming Lips, etc.

Also, John Mayall's Blues Breakers. Everybody was in his band in the sixties. Broke a lot of people who later went on to become HUGE. Clapton(I think?) Fleetwood Mac, and others.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 04:41 PM

I'm seconding Nick Drake. Hear one of his records, you'll start hearing him everywhere.

My vote is for The Flaming Lips.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
<STRONG>Guy I worked with once raved about T.Rex. He described it as metal/goth and such, sounded my cup o tea, so I went and borrowed it.

ack... unlistenable.</STRONG>
C'mon. Gotta take TRex for what it is- campy. Huge influence on David Bowie, who kind of took that style and made it sooooo much better than the original.
Get it ON, folks. Bang a Gong.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2001, 04:52 PM

Joy Division - One of the best bands of all time, only tragedy kept them from being bigger than U2.
Brian Eno
The Velvet Underground

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 05:14 PM

Joy Division comes to mind, surely. So does Bauhaus, although they do have a huge following in some circles.

Allman brothers are known, but marginalized and not given enough credit, IMO.

Most talented bands you'll never hear on the radio:

1) Leftover Salmon
2) String Cheese Incident
3) Widespread Panic
4) Wellwater Conspiracy

total genius
It's wise to know who wrote the music to which we dance.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 05:15 PM

I'll second John Mayall. For some of you young whippersnappers, here's an education and a little historical perspective on one of the greats in blues music.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
<STRONG>I'm seconding Nick Drake. Hear one of his records, you'll start hearing him everywhere.

My vote is for The Flaming Lips.</STRONG>
i'll third the nick drake. didnt get into him until i saw "that commercial". the pink moon album is just awe inspiring.

i cant think of anything else id call "influential". lemme think.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 05:20 PM

The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Anton Newcombe and friends are like the fathers of the return of rock and roll. Bands like the Dandy Warhols, BRMC, Beachwood Sparks, the Strokes, etc. can thank them for paving the way. Also, Anton's the purveyor of the Committee to Keep Music Evil.

An no Virginia, they're anything but a Stone's knock-off. Yes, they've been influenced by many bands before them. But who hasn't.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Arty50 ]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 05:20 PM

Well, now. If Ida knowed we was including them Blues, I'd have to say SON HOUSE. The lord High Priest of the Delta. The Grand Daddy of the Steel Guitar. The Pappy of the Blues as we know them.
I got a letter this mornin'
How do you rekon it read
It said hurry hurry
Because the gal you love is dead

Oooo. I got chills, you hear? CHILLS.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>Joy Division - One of the best bands of all time, only tragedy kept them from being bigger than U2.
Brian Eno
The Velvet Underground</STRONG>
Great choices. I especially agree with the Eno vote. People, especially Americans, don't realize his influence.

marusin  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 05:22 PM

I'm with you on #1 and #2 (although I have to admit that SCI's "jams" tend to be heard from show to show)... Another great band along those lines is "Yonder Mountain String Band".. They are FANTASTIC! (if you like bluegrass)

Originally posted by grok420:
<STRONG>Joy Division comes to mind, surely. So does Bauhaus, although they do have a huge following in some circles.

Allman brothers are known, but marginalized and not given enough credit, IMO.

Most talented bands you'll never hear on the radio:

1) Leftover Salmon
2) String Cheese Incident
3) Widespread Panic
4) Wellwater Conspiracy

total genius</STRONG>

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 20, 2001, 05:23 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 09:39 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
<STRONG>Well, now. If Ida knowed we was including them Blues, I'd have to say SON HOUSE. The lord High Priest of the Delta. The Grand Daddy of the Steel Guitar. The Pappy of the Blues as we know them.
How do you rekon it read
It said hurry hurry

Oooo. I got chills, you hear? CHILLS.</STRONG>
Maxelson,

don't know if you've seen this, but thanks for reminding me: gonna play some when I get home.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 20, 2001, 05:42 PM

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 05:46 PM

<STRONG>Well, now. If Ida knowed we was including them Blues, I'd have to say SON HOUSE. The lord High Priest of the Delta. The Grand Daddy of the Steel Guitar. The Pappy of the Blues as we know them.
How do you rekon it read
It said hurry hurry

Oooo. I got chills, you hear? CHILLS.</STRONG>
Blues, eh? How 'bout The Wizard himself, R.L. Burnside? He's even got an album called "Ass pocket of Whiskey" and the cover art features him with a belt in his hand and two women at his feet.

There are dozens of influential bluesmen that shaped rock 'n roll with very little credit. Personally, I'd say the least talked about of them is Howlin' Wolf. All those Tom Waits fans should listen to the original (not that Tom is bad).

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Dec 20, 2001, 05:56 PM

The Beyond, or Kant
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 20, 2001, 06:19 PM

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 10:13 PM

influential although a certain band (bush) that names them as an influence sucks.

Big Black

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2001, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>influential although a certain band (bush) that names them as an influence sucks.

Big Black</STRONG>
Another big punk/underground influence:

Birthday Party.

Big influence on The Jesus Lizard, who in turn influenced a whole generation of post-punk bands.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2001, 11:19 PM

Toad the Wet Sprocket

the few songs that made it mainstream dont do this band justice. there are so many great songs by these guys that noone knows about its almost sad. and its also pretty cool, cause its like knowing a secret and keeping it to yerself. but they deserved much more recognition--truly inspiring music w/ alot of meaning. just listen to Dulcinea and ul understand...windmills is probably the most incredible song i know about...and yet still noone knows it...
oh well

i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 12:02 AM

Kraftwerk - Pioneers in electronic music, strong influence in new wave and techno

Skinny Puppy - Not that unknown, but with out Skinny Puppy you have no NIN, no Marilyn Manson, no anybody. They poineered the industrial sound(100X better then any current band too)

Throbbing Gristle - Another big industrial band, so very ahead of their time, and one of the best band names ever...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 21, 2001, 12:30 AM

I'd have to say the Bass styles of Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and those of Geddy Lee of Rush were a major influence on my Bass Guitar Playing and my taste in music in general.

Mainly Maiden nd Rush's earlier work. Maiden pre Somewhere in Time album/Rush Pre Moving Pictures album.

Oh yeah and also the songwriting and Bass style of The late great Clkiff Burton of Metallica.

Mike

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2001, 12:43 AM

Jeff Buckley Jeff Buckley Jeff Buckley!!!
Also, a guy named Taj Mahal for all you blues fans out there (I learned everything about love and life from Taj).
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2001, 01:08 AM

Oh yeah, can't forget Chris Whitley. Insanely beautiful songwriter.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 01:36 AM

My Bloody Valentine.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 08:03 AM

Gee, I dunno. When I think of influential, I think of people most of you have already heard of - Buddy Holly, Miles Davis, Brian Wilson, the Pixies. And then there's some killer stuff most of you've never heard but I also don't think they were very influential - Bruce Cockburn, Jason Molina, Chris McDermott.

I guess DG's list is a pretty good one plus you-name-it, any one of a dozen blues artists. I'd pick Robert Johnson if pressed although Son House is a good choice too.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2001, 08:49 AM

Does anyone remember Dread Zeppelin? Theirs was an insanely great mix of Zeppelin and reggae, complete with a 350 lb Elvis look/soundalike lead singer! Not that they were influential ... but they certainly quaified as unusual. Whatever happened to those guys?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 10:00 AM

Let's see, the most influential band that I've never heard of is, is.... hmmm, the name's not coming to me, 'cause I've never heard of them!!!

Reminds me of the time a person who will also remain nameless asked me, "What are they going to tell you that you don't already know?" Um, er, uh.... I don't know!!!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 10:12 AM

Absolutely, and thanks! The CD on the right side of the page? Indespensable. A MUST have. THe sound quality is what you'll expect from a cleaned up recording from the early '40s, but that just adds to the overall flavor.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 10:20 AM

<STRONG>

Blues, eh? How 'bout The Wizard himself, R.L. Burnside? He's even got an album called "Ass pocket of Whiskey" and the cover art features him with a belt in his hand and two women at his feet.

There are dozens of influential bluesmen that shaped rock 'n roll with very little credit. Personally, I'd say the least talked about of them is Howlin' Wolf. All those Tom Waits fans should listen to the original (not that Tom is bad).</STRONG>
R.L. Burnside. Heh. I LOVE him. Irreverent asshole blues. Ever have any experience with Possum Records? They do a sampler disk series entitled "Not the Same Old Blues Crap" Vol. 1,2,3, etc. Something like $3.99. No excuses not to have it. RL is figured prominently.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>I'd have to say the Bass styles of Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and those of Geddy Lee of Rush were a major influence on my Bass Guitar Playing and my taste in music in general.

Mainly Maiden nd Rush's earlier work. Maiden pre Somewhere in Time album/Rush Pre Moving Pictures album.

Oh yeah and also the songwriting and Bass style of The late great Clkiff Burton of Metallica.

Mike</STRONG>
You know, It makes me feel a little elder to have pre "Somewhere in Time" be implied as "Classic" or, as a friend calls it, "Geezer" Maiden. I started with Maiden with Paul Di'Anno. Jeez, they were fun.
And CLiff Burton. Hell ALL of them, Cliff in particular. To the untrained ear, it may not sound like these guys are doing much, but these guys are incredible musicians. They are masters of polyphonics.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 21, 2001, 10:28 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 09:40 PM. )

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 21, 2001, 10:39 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 10:22 PM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 10:57 AM

And another silly band that OMIGOD continues to perform to this day: Loudness. I giggle even now. "Rock and Ro' by Roudness!"
I know it was not intended, but these guys were a parody of Metal Hair band (as if that NEEDED parody).

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 21, 2001, 12:15 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 09:40 PM. )

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2001, 01:16 PM

<STRONG>

There are dozens of influential bluesmen that shaped rock 'n roll with very little credit. Personally, I'd say the least talked about of them is Howlin' Wolf. All those Tom Waits fans should listen to the original (not that Tom is bad).</STRONG>
I agree with maxelson. You've gotta love "the Criminal Inside Me."

"I've got a ass pocket full of wiskey and a front pocket full of gin.
And if you don't open this door I'm gonna kick the mother****a in."

Genius, pure genius. To those who don't like it..."if you don't get out of here and make it fast, I'm gonna put my foot right in your a$$."
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 01:29 PM

Dude, i'm stoked to find RL Burnside fans!! How bout Junior Kimbrough or T Model Ford? Anything on Fat Possum records basically.

They sent me a card to be on a mailing list which said:

"you like the blues, eh? If you didn't, you wouldn't have bought this record, mammy f*cker!!"

Brilliant.

Oh yeah, Dread Zeppelin. I have all their albums. I heard them once long ago and was hooked. Greatest cover band ever!!

They still play in LA at a club called 14 Below. I've caught them a couple of times in the past 3 years. First time, I talked to them after their set, they coudn't believe I owned all their albums before ever seeing them live. They thought I was nuts!!

If anyone wants a sample, let me know. I'll hook you up.

Maybe we should set up a Nasty ass blues FTP site so we can swap stuff since a few of us here dig it.

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>XTC. Not popular on the radio, but they show up all the time as "influences" in interviews with bands like Radiohead, the Flaming Lips, etc.

Also, John Mayall's Blues Breakers. Everybody was in his band in the sixties. Broke a lot of people who later went on to become HUGE. Clapton(I think?) Fleetwood Mac, and others.

CV</STRONG>
'Dear God' was a great song. I don't know which cd it was, but the one with the marketing discussion on it has a great cover.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 02:12 PM

<STRONG>

Maybe we should set up a Nasty ass blues FTP site so we can swap stuff since a few of us here dig it.</STRONG>
I'm in. Not that I condone such activity, mind. Of course, we will just be swapping public domain stuff, right? Right?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by rogerkylin:
<STRONG>

'Dear God' was a great song. I don't know which cd it was....</STRONG>
That would be Skylarking. Perhaps the best album to come out of the late eighties. There's a damn fine remastered version just out this summer. Think it's import, only, though. HMV.com has it at a pretty good price. Get it! you won't regret it! (I'll keep my special edible hat handy, just in case.)

CV

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2001, 05:50 PM

<STRONG>

I'm in. Not that I condone such activity, mind. Of course, we will just be swapping public domain stuff, right? Right?</STRONG>
Stuff we own. I purchased what I have to share, if you hear it and like it, I'd expect you to shell out some $$ at the record store of your choice. Fair enough?

Anyone interested, email me at [email protected]. I can set it up on a Linux box at home after the Holidays. Not great bandwidth, but sufficient.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 08:24 PM

Let's get started -

Corrosion of Conformity (before they went metal)
Le Savvy Fav
dEUS
Red Snapper
Pentatonik
Hyperhead
The Wildhearts (Oh, Ginger, where art thou?)
Baby Chaos
Brainiac
Skinny Puppy
Neds Atomic Dustbin

Most of them are big influences of mine that most people I talk to have never heard of (I know - imagine never hearing about Skinny Puppy!). Even a lot of so-called 'musos'.

Remember kids - it's not the successful bands that make the lasting impression. Just like I looked back a bit into the roots of the music I was listening to, so should you. Just because you like the latest Fatboy Slim album don't mean you should ignore Afrika Bambataa or even 808 state. Get jiggy wit d old vibe man!

PS - what the hell were we talking about again
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2001, 11:21 PM

I will put another vote against the pixies they must be the most copied band every nearly everyone has copied a pixies riff or song..

Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" the opening riff, Kurt Cobain said was straight from a Pixies song.

Cheers Edd

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 03:02 PM

Hey, here's a silly band from Finland: Hanoi Rocks
not very influential musically but the pioneers of 'glam-punk' in the eighties. aaah! those were the days! i used to get told all the time, i looked like mike monroe and had to practically beat the girlies off with a stick!

Forum Links
Forum Rules