Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Video Opening Pref?

Video Opening Pref?
CroMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 01:58 PM

New user, so be kind and let me know how to handle video files in the IE prefernces file helpers.
What I shoudl choose for avi. video extension? Right now I have Quick Time, but it is complete non use for DIVX. Should I choose vlc? And how to handle? Via browser, via plug in or what?
Same question for Windows media file, like wma. or asf. or wm.?
Could someone help me with mess in my file helper settings?

Tmaxx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 05:42 PM

From what I remember about WMA files, you need to download the Windows media player for OSX. .....Be careful though....the dark side has many hidden pitfalls.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 08:32 PM

I have QT set to handle avis, because most online will be a good codec. I use the browser for everything it can handle. WMP, QT, Real, all handled in the browser. So set your helpers with the formats that match above to view in the browser, otherwise I would just download to disk for later. vlc is good for avi's so you might be better just downloading the ones that QT can't handle in the browser.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

CroMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 07:18 AM

Thanks KidRed. Just let me know more detail. Does it mean that you handle all video ext. like avi. wma. mpeg. etc with browser option instead plug in in the IE file helper pref?
What is the diference if you open streaming avi. or avi. files from hard disk or cd disk?
Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules