Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What is THE BEST mouse?

What is THE BEST mouse?
ender2002
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 03:11 PM

aesthetics are important, but im looking for something with overall comfort, a good clicking-feel, and precision. any recomendations?

daydream
Apr 6, 2003, 03:35 PM

Are you a gamer then look to an optical or if you are an AV that is what I do I like the Logitech Mx 500
I like the fact the fact that you can scroll, and go forward and backwards on a web page with a click, there is even a toggle button for going between programs.
Eh, I like it
Now that is just my opinion.

Daydream

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 04:34 PM

I have the logiteh MX 700 which i believe is just the cordless version of the 500 but i might wrong. I really like this mouse but i have not really tested many others. It comes with its own basestation/charger.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 04:49 PM

I have a Logitech MX 500, and it's the best darned thing I've ever bought (apart from my Mac, of course!). Anybody who loves buttons should get one.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 04:55 PM

my mouse man optical pro is the best mouse i have had

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Apr 6, 2003, 05:26 PM

Logitech, I've got the MX300.

Mouse recommendations are a monthly topic in the peripherals forum - perhaps we should just make it a sticky and be done with it..?!

OreoCookie
Apr 6, 2003, 05:40 PM

I love my Apple Pro mouse. I have a generic logitec for gaming (you just need a scroll wheel in quake ).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

vasu
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 06:07 PM

the logitech mx700 is the finest mouse I've ever used.

-vasu

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2003, 06:43 PM

Looking for a mouse, I've got someone who can help you:

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 07:56 PM

1 vote for logitech MX700

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 08:42 PM

Logitech MX700 (cordless) and MX500 (corded version) are the best mice ever made. Period.

And yes, I've tried them all. Consider me a mouse connoiseur

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:16 AM

Another vote for the Logitech MX 700.

xtal
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 12:26 AM

I like my Logitech MX-300. Precise, comfortable, compact, and cheap.

Good all around.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:37 AM

MX700 goes as best wireless mouse.

MX500 probably best wired one.

The modern portable for looks (it's brushed aluminum and buttonless comon!

And if you must have a pro mouse lookalike, the macmice mouse (adomax' 2nd revision which is OK), and the dumpcomputer.com one (1st revision which sucks in today's standards)

Good luck!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2003, 03:30 AM

You can count another vote for the MX700 from me. Best wireless mouse I've ever used.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 08:58 AM

If you need a wired mouse, definitely get the Logitech MX500, and if you need wireless get the MX700.

Both mice are the same except for wires, and they are so unbelievably comfortable to use. Plus, they have lots of wonderfully placed buttons in which you can assign macros and shortcuts to using the Logitech Mouse Software. It's a wonderful mouse for gaming, internet browsing, and just using your computer overall. I too had to make this decision and got the Logitech MX500, and I couldn't be happier. It's perfectly precise, extremely comfortable, and very flexible in usage. Too, it looks very good as well.

This mouse can be found cheapest at www.techsavings.com by searching for "MX500" or "MX700". Good luck in your decision!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 09:22 AM

I'm old school

Logitech First / Pilot Wheel Mouse+
USB, two buttons and a scroll wheel, oh yeah and it's got a dammed ball. I may cave and get a optical mouse one day....
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 12:32 PM

The MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 is great and so are its drivers.

If you can spend the extra money, get the Logitech MX700. Awesome mouse and it recharges itself in its receiver base.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
the logitech mx700 is the finest mouse I've ever used.

-vasu
I'll second that, this thing is a dream.

-matt

Vanquish
Apr 7, 2003, 01:01 PM

MX300: simple, cheap, and very good (with 2 buttons+1 "app-switch" button and a scroller) and it looks nice.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 01:32 PM

I have to agree with everyone else - the MX700 from Logitech is the best damn mouse (wired or wireless) that I have ever owned. Been using it for about 4 months now and it has never let me down. Sometimes I forget to charge it at night after a good 6 hours of use and then the next day I can still use it for a few hours because the red blinking light appears. And I am still on the original batteries that it came with.

-Q-
Apr 7, 2003, 02:18 PM

Wow. Didn't realize there was such a passionate following for the Logitech mice. But count me in: the Logitech 500MX is awesome!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:16 PM

Wheel Mouse Optical USB is what I use, two buttons, optical and a scroll wheel. Its nice and comfortable.
Hoping to upgrade in the near future to that Logitech recharable thing, looks nice.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 03:26 PM

I like my iSweetNet from Macally. It is inexpensive and well designed to match my iMac, and it works well.

tuamigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 12:43 AM

I vote mx 700.

BUT

if you plan to get a wireless keyboard, look into getting the combo logitech keyboard/mouse. Cuz, if you get the 700 you will not be able to get a wireless keyboard on it's own. At least I have not found one yet (logitech).

However, the mouse that comes with the combo is not the mx700, it has less buttons.

good luck.

MUGlover
Aug 5, 2003, 03:35 PM

As of July 2003, there is a Logitech Mx700 Duo so you can have your wireless keyboard and mouse it too! The mouse cradle for recharging is also the receiver for mouse and keyboard. Rechargeable batteries are included for the mouse and Duracell AA batteries for the keyboard. Setup was easy and both Apple and Logitech had a download site with a driver from May 2003 (1.1.1) that is slightly newer than the 1.1 driver on the included CD.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 07:03 PM

The best mouse, PERIOD, is the Razer Boomslang. If you can find one. The brand has had some issues lately, but they'll be back soon.

http://www.razerzone.com/

It's wired, and it uses a ball. There is no more accurate mouse than this. (okay, there IS, but they cost $400+ =)

Check on eBay for them. I was able to get a box of three for $80! List price for a single one at stores is still like, $80+.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 12:05 AM

Wow, and I was all set to buy a Kensington PocketMouse Pro with the retractable USB cord... but not one vote for it! Wireless that requires you to plug a receiver into the USB seems worse than wired to me... that's an extra detached piece for me to lose and/or fumble with. Plus, I'm sure I'll constantly forget to charge it. I don't like a lot of extra cord to deal with... so the retractable cord seems perfect.

Are the Logitech MX500/700 really much better than the Kensington?
If so, why?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2003, 07:06 AM

I just picked up a mx500 and all I have to say is wow, I've mapped the buttons to how I work and that baby is sweet.

I've looked at the Kensington mouse but it didn't feel right to me, and Logitec has been building mice for eons, so I figured with all that R&D behind them they can build a solid mouse.

Mike

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 07:49 AM

I have the cordless mouseman optical, I love it. It preceeded the MX 700. Personally I would go with the MX 700 simply for the recharging, I go through too many batteries. I don't really care of some of logitechs other peripherals, but the mice are great.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Looking for a mouse, I've got someone who can help you:

Yikes... is that the devil? Those eyes freak me out...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 07:14 PM

Has anyone used one of those IBM mice where instead of a scroll wheel they have that little nub you push up or down akin to what they have on their laptops? I ask because I get finger fatigue rolling the scroll wheel. A pressure sensitive nib seems like it might be better.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Has anyone used one of those IBM mice where instead of a scroll wheel they have that little nub you push up or down akin to what they have on their laptops? I ask because I get finger fatigue rolling the scroll wheel. A pressure sensitive nib seems like it might be better.
Trust me, stay far away from this. My computer at work came with one of these and it's horrible. Scrolling becomes a nightmare, especially in Excel.

I had to take my MS Wheel Mouse Optical from home and bring it in to work cause I was getting so pissed off. Which of course meant I needed a new mouse for home. I got an MX500 and it's far and away the best mouse I've ever used. I dare say it's the perfect mouse.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 10:08 PM

My vote goes to macally Icemouse...Love it for its design and comfort...Was using a MS Intellimouse and Logitch mouseman traveller before this and both of caused my hand to ache...

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 05:42 AM

For you MX500-loving PowerBook or iBook owners...

Do you bring the MX500 with you, or just use it at home?
Its pretty bulky. But with all those extra mouse buttons
becoming second nature, I'd think going without would be
painful.

The Kensington PocketMouse Pro mice options are much more
portable and reasonably comfortable to my hand, but
relatively button deficient.

So, do you:
a) bring your MX500?
b) bring a different "travel" mouse? (If so, which?)
c) just use the trackpad?

saturnbill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 11:16 AM

In response to the posts in this column, I just purchased the MX500 and I must say it is light years better than the Apple mouse. How I used photoshop and other graphics programs as well as general net browsing with the old one, I shudder. It has a great feel and works great with my Cinema Display since it is 800dpi. Thanks for the great posts. If you read just the information on the manuf. sites you have no idea what is good of not. Here you get pro and con. Glad I joined this forum!

Forum Links
Forum Rules