Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX on my baby beige G3??

OSX on my baby beige G3??
Red_shoes33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 03:02 AM

Hi,

Is it possible for me to put X on my beige G3?
I am a bit scared to upgrade. I would love to hear from anyone who has resurected the beige box

Thanks

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:07 AM

I have 10.2.4 running very well on my beige tower G3 266 for almost 2 years now. It works great if you have at least 320 Megs RAM.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 03:20 AM

Interesting.. I installed X on my iBook 600, No problems.. Installed it on my iMac 400, No problems.
But Jag simply wont install on my old Beige G3 266. It also has a G4 zif in it. And plenty of ram.
Any idea's?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Interesting.. I installed X on my iBook 600, No problems.. Installed it on my iMac 400, No problems.
But Jag simply wont install on my old Beige G3 266. It also has a G4 zif in it. And plenty of ram.
Any idea's?
First of all, on Beige and Wallstreet you can't install MacOS X if the hard drive is larger than 8 GB. In that case, you have to partition the drive and install MacOS X into the first partition, which should be less than 8 GB. I don't know however if the installation is possible with a G4 zif, since CPU upgrades are not officially supported.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 07:06 AM

The 8 GB rule also is compulsory for rev. A iMacs: this is stated in the ReadMe file.

I have 10.2.4 installed on a iMac rev. A (233 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB harddisk) and it works.

Don't expect it to run fast, snappy(TM)
but it runs.

Any additional RAM will give you better performance: OS X loves it.

iBookDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 02:13 AM

My experience is very different...

First of all, my computer is a Beige G3 Minitower, Rev A/266, upgraded to G3/500 PowerLogix ZIF, with an ATI Radeon 7000 card latest firmware, 224MB RAM. The internal HD is still 6GB, with a 40GB external FW drive connected via a FW/USB combo PCI card.

My problem is, I can't even get OS 9 booted, both under Classic & direct boot. Whenever I try, I get a non-helpful bomb error (no text). All I can do is to reset the machine. I tried extensions off, boot from OS 9 CD without help.

Now I'm stuck in OS X. Whenever I want to install programs that requires Classic (like Acrobat & Starcraft), I have to do them from my TiBook/1Ghz and transfer them there. I didn't know what's wrong with my machine but I just can't go OS 9 or Classic.

Back to your question, with my machine's setup, I'm very happy with the performance of my machine with OS X Jaguar. Everything just work and I have no major problems about it except the OS 9 thing... Just my $0.02...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 02:56 AM

I have a G3 266 at home with a decent amount of ram (I think I put it 256 if not more) and an 80 gb hard drive, only problem is the 56k modem. my question is, is it worth upgrading to OS X if it means I have to partition the drive and how do I get 10.2.4 on there without downloading the update via modem?

Vanquish
Apr 8, 2003, 04:33 AM

I have a G3 266 at home with a decent amount of ram (I think I put it 256 if not more) and an 80 gb hard drive, only problem is the 56k modem. my question is, is it worth upgrading to OS X if it means I have to partition the drive and how do I get 10.2.4 on there without downloading the update via modem?
Download the update with an other mac and connect them through Ethernet and copy the installer over, run the installer, and voila updated ! (if you have no second Mac, then you have a problem)

macmike42
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 07:49 AM

To get OS 9.anything to boot on a beige G3, you need the associated G4 cache/altivec extensions installed. Kind of a pain, because without the extensions, Mac OS 9 won't boot, and with them (they load earlier than extension manager) Classic won't boot. But you should have a separate system folder for Classic anyway...

With a G4/533 ZIF (PowerLogix) and a Radeon 7000, my beige runs OS X very well.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 10:12 AM

thanks, Vanquish, should I use a crossover cable to connect them and how smart (well how dumb can I be) is OS X in terms of recognizing another machine and just showing each comps hard drive mounted on the other? I'll probably be doing this over the summer when I bring my g4 home from school so I have some time to work out the details. also having a second mac isn't always that useful, I have a 7100/66 but its 250mb hard drive isn't really going to help very much here.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 11:22 AM

I have a Rev C G3/300 Desktop. I've has OS X installed on it since 10.0 came out. It's changed configs over the years, but right now it has:

20 Gig HD (partitioned into 7/13 to allow OS X to boot from the smaller partition)

60 Gig drive with my home directory on it. It's my MP3/movie jukebox, so I need space

640 MB RAM, Nexus 128, Firewire and USB cards to fill my PCI slots.

I sync my iPod from it, have a Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard, Keyspan Remote, a Sonica to hook it up to my Receiver via TosLink, and a VGA/SVid converter to use my TV as a monitor (runs OK at 800x600@60Hz)

It runs top notch. I can play MP3s, serve web pages, act as my own mail server, watch DivX/RealOne movies in full screen mode, you name it. Quite the champ. I'm planning on replacing it with a Cube when I have some more cash at hand, since it is in my living room and a Cube would be smaller and quieter by far.

Now for the bad...you need to be patient. It runs X, but apparently of its own will. A month ago I had a series of lockups, and eventually couldn't get X to boot at all. I tried stripping it down, swapping RAM, removing cards, you name it. No dice. No amount of Norton or Disk First Aid helped. Finally I gave up on it. Went to Detroit for a week to see the in laws and take care of some business. Came back, just pushed power on a lark, and up it came. No problems since. So be prepared for some weirdness and the occasional zapping of PRAM if it acts up. But have fun...

--Josh

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:35 PM

I have a Rev.A Beige G3 with an ATI 128, Belkin USB card, and 30 gig drive (partitioned into 5 partitions of 6 gig each), 320mb RAM, and G3/500. I have run OS X since the Beta with varying configurations with almost no problems.

The only problems I've had since upgrading to OS X were with my processor upgrade. I got a string of bad CPUs - the computer would completely lock up under load, requiring a hard reset. Finally got a good unit, and everything has been solid.

The only real downside to OS X for me is that I have an "AV" model with video-in ports, and they're completely useless under OS X. That's a bit of a bummer, but just gives me an excuse to get a new digital camcorder :-)

Red_shoes33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 02:33 AM

Thanks all for the input! Still all sounds a bit scary but at least the gorgeous beige beast will live on.

I am going to print out all the replies and disect each one carefully.

Thanks again, i would be sooo lost without this forum

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by Red_shoes33:
Thanks all for the input! Still all sounds a bit scary but at least the gorgeous beige beast will live on.

I am going to print out all the replies and disect each one carefully.

Thanks again, i would be sooo lost without this forum
If you have the time and a backup just do it. Reinstalling OS9 is no problem.

Red_shoes33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
If you have the time and a backup just do it. Reinstalling OS9 is no problem.
It is OK for u guys, it sounds like u all know what u r doing, i am a plodder of the computer and am a fraidy cat. If something breaks i doubt i would be able to fix it all by myself!

I do have a little question (sorry) If i partion my drive do both system 9 + X run off the ame partion and the other is storage? What do i run my internet software connection out of?
(oops that was 2 questions)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by Red_shoes33:

I do have a little question (sorry) If i partion my drive do both system 9 + X run off the ame partion and the other is storage? What do i run my internet software connection out of?
(oops that was 2 questions)
Not sure what the internet question is but you don't have to partion the drive to have OSX and OS9 unless it is bigger then 8 gigs.

Red_shoes33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Not sure what the internet question is but you don't have to partion the drive to have OSX and OS9 unless it is bigger then 8 gigs.
At present I happily run 9.2 to connect (via software 'enternet') to web. I presume i will still have to be in 9.2 to connect. I guess my question is: If i upgrade to X do i have to get hold of X compatible enternet software to go "surfing" in X.

Soory if i dont make much sense... i am trying

Forum Links
Forum Rules