Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power Adapter for 17"

Power Adapter for 17"
Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2003, 05:54 AM

I just got my new 17" - I love it. Amazing machine!!!!!

My first question: Can I use the AC Cord from my Ti667 with the machine - as a spare.

Robe

Karim
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 11:07 AM

yes, but I wouldn't use it to charge the powerbook just use it to run it off AC. Charging it with that lower rated adaptor will screw up the battery calibration (not permanently) and will take forever to charge.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2003, 11:23 AM

It's "possible" and it'll actually work...but it's not exactly healthy for the machine. I'd only use that until a new 17" PB AC Adapter arrived or you could cause some serious harm to your machine/battery.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2003, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the reply - What kind of harm are you speaking of?

The two adapters look pretty similar - It could get pretty confusing. Is there a surefire way to tell which one is actually for the 17" widescreen?

Originally posted by AssassyN:
It's "possible" and it'll actually work...but it's not exactly healthy for the machine. I'd only use that until a new 17" PB AC Adapter arrived or you could cause some serious harm to your machine/battery.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2003, 07:37 PM

"Harm" as in, the 15" Power Adapter doesn't give enough power to the 17" PB to operate as it should for long periods of time. The easiest way to tell the 17" PB adapter from another is the wattage it outputs; it's 65W I believe, whereas the 15" PB and 12" PB have different wattage outputs, outputs too low to operate the 17" PB correctly. If you leave it plugged in, the battery could get harmed by not having the right amount of power going to it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Karim
Senior User
Jun 8, 2003, 09:15 PM

The power adaptor from the 667 was two prong only (no ground) the 17" has a 3 prong adaptor. The 1ghz Tibook also had a 3pronger but I don't remember if it has the same wattage as the 17"

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2003, 10:09 PM

If I recall correctly, even the 15" 1Ghz TiBook has a different wattage adapter than the 17" PB.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2003, 07:36 PM

The new power adapaters shipped with 15.2" PowerBooks are the same as the ones for the 17".

Main characteristics of the 65w adapter are:

1. white plug (not silver)
2. three prong/with metal post when you remove the AC cable/two-prong adapter.

Robe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 04:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies!! I am much better with pictures - could you post a side by side shot? that would help.

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
The new power adapaters shipped with 15.2" PowerBooks are the same as the ones for the 17".

Main characteristics of the 65w adapter are:

1. white plug (not silver)
2. three prong/with metal post when you remove the AC cable/two-prong adapter.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2003, 10:36 AM

They look identical, the only visual difference is that one says 65W and the other says 45W.

I bought a 65W for my 12" PB to use as my main charging PS while at home, and it seems to charge my PB faster than the 45W, but it's not a huge difference and it's not caused any problems. It does run cooler than the 45W, though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules