Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Whine

Powerbook Whine
Robe
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 12:33 PM

There have been some threads in the past about the "whining screen" in the TiBooks - the high pitched noise that appears to be coming from the monitor. Anyway - I have some observations to pass along (I was going to post this last week but I decided to wait and see if they held)

The squealing happens ONLY on Safari and ONLY at my First Union (Wachovia) website - http://www.wachovia.com/personal. can anyone else confirm or add to this? (You need to go past the main page to get the squeal - the home page loads just fine)

Thanks,

Robe

spaced
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 01:11 PM

It happens when using Safari and accessing any secure website. It drives me absolutely nuts because I can hear it even when listening to iTunes at a reasonable level.

I am hoping that it is a software issue that Apple will fix.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Robe:
There have been some threads in the past about the "whining screen" in the TiBooks - the high pitched noise that appears to be coming from the monitor. Anyway - I have some observations to pass along (I was going to post this last week but I decided to wait and see if they held)

The squealing happens ONLY on Safari and ONLY at my First Union (Wachovia) website - http://www.wachovia.com/personal. can anyone else confirm or add to this? (You need to go past the main page to get the squeal - the home page loads just fine)

Thanks,

Robe
Wow... I'm very relieved to know that I'm not the only one having this issue.

I thought for a while that it was one of my fans squeeling (getting caught on a wire or some such)... but realized it happened when the fans weren't even on.

Now that you both mention it... it does seem to happen in Safari when I'm accessing my bank

I've got to wonder what that damn noise is now. Is it only on the Ti's... or do you 12" and 17" guys have the same problem?

Thanks,

Alex
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 13, 2003, 05:32 PM

My 17" iMac's screen whines it seems whenever I'm accessing a secure web page like Amazon's checkout. Weird I know but not as bad as my powerbook's whinning harddrive...ugh it's constant.

geekwagon
Senior User
Jun 13, 2003, 07:13 PM

Both the 17" and 12" Powerbook have the same problem in Safari. In fact, the 12" I had tended to do it whenever I was using Airport heavily as well...

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 09:31 PM

Eh, my 15" did it at first, and only in Word. I had to send it into Apple to get some new board. In fact, it was pretty common on the DVI models if I remember correctly. I'd call Apple about it, because it was definitely a hardware issue on mine.
Dooby, dooby doo.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2003, 08:29 AM

I think i've posted it about 5 times in 7 months but I'll say it again.

Every computer does it, it's the side effect of having so much EMR floating around in such a constricted space.

You start scrolling around, the video card refresh RF has fun with the DSPs etc etc. try holding an AM radio near your computer and see how long it can still pickup reception for. Cordless phones near speakers. It's all part of the game.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

bluejam
Jun 15, 2003, 09:31 AM

I hope nGrundy is right and it is normal. I have the 17" PB and it does it intermittently. It will do it when offline so I don't think it is really a Safari problem. On past threads of this subject, some owners reported no problem.
I have noticed that it happens more often after waking from sleep whereas when I boot up from scratch, it's very quiet.
I must say, that very high frequency sound drives me up a wall.
I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Forum Links
Forum Rules